Re: Moving messages from Vista to W-7

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Oct 13, 2010.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:17:16 -0500, Valorie *~~ wrote:

    > We managed to move the contacts from Vista's Windows Mail to WM (copied to
    > W-7) on the new W-7 PC but not the messages stored in the inbox. How is that
    > done? We tried the export feature but when moved they don't show up in the
    > inbox on the 2nd PC. Where do we transport them to to show up in the
    > inbox?

    Does the main menu show above the toolbar for email functions?
    If not, click on the little icon on the right side of the tool bar between
    the brush and ? icon. Select "show menu".
    From the file menu select "import" and click on "messages".
    On window 1, choose Windows Mail, click next.
    On window 2 you will see a path to a folder that contains the messages.

    THAT, is where you will put your transferred messages.

    The best way to transfer hundreds of emails is to put them on a disk.
    CD, floppy, SD or flash drive.
    richard, Oct 13, 2010

  2. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    Valorie wrote:

    > I tried that. When I select the folder on the desktop with all the
    > messages in it, it says "No messages can be found in this folder"... yet
    > there are 900 there.

    Maybe there is a permissions problem or you haven't navigated to the
    right depth.

    WM doesn't use .dbx files any more. It stores and exports as individual
    ..eml and .nws files along with a winmail.fol index file.

    When you export, you opt to export as Windows Mail and then you opt to
    export selected folders or all of them.

    You should go look in that folder that you exported to and see that the
    folders and files are there, and you need to 'navigate' to the folder
    which is containing the winmail.fol file - it is probably inside a Local
    folder.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 13, 2010

  3. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    Valorie wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> When you export, you opt to export as Windows Mail and then you opt to
    >> export selected folders or all of them.
    >>
    >> You should go look in that folder that you exported to and see that
    >> the folders and files are there, and you need to 'navigate' to the
    >> folder which is containing the winmail.fol file - it is probably
    >> inside a Local folder.

    > It exported ONE folder full of emls. There is no folder with a
    > winmail.fol file when we use the Export feature in WM (on Vista). It
    > exports them as emls. There is no other folder inside the folder it
    > Exported.

    I did it myself experimentally. When I exported, there was a folder for
    each folder I exported. They were inside a Local folder which also
    contained the file winmail.fol.

    In detail: I created a folder named Mail. Using Vista WM's export, I
    exported two folders, one named Inbox and one named Sent and they were
    exported to the Mail folder.

    When I examined the Mail folder, it contained a folder named Local. The
    Local folder contained two folders, Inbox and Sent and one file
    winmail.fol. The Inbox folder contained the individual .eml files and
    the Sent folder was all .nws messages which I had posted.

    The winmail.fol is an essential ingredient to the process.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 14, 2010