Re: Movie mode in UK digicam still limited to 10 mins?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Poldie, Jul 12, 2008.

  1. Poldie

    Poldie Guest

    Delila wrote:
    > I am in the UK. I would like to get a simple compact digicam that
    > records for longer than 10 minutes but I don't want to look for
    > something which I can't hope to find!
    >
    > I seem to remember that in the UK a digital camera is not permitted to
    > record in movie mode for more than 10 minutes.
    >
    > It seem that if it did then the digicam would get classified by the
    > authorities as a "camcorder", and there are different taxes/quotas for
    > camcorders and digicams!
    >
    > Is this still true?

    I've never heard of this. There's just VAT in the UK (currently 17.5%).
    If there's extra tax then it's something dealt with by the
    retailer/manufacturer.
    Poldie, Jul 12, 2008

  2. Poldie

    Bruce Guest

    Poldie <_.@._> wrote:

    >Delila wrote:
    >> I am in the UK. I would like to get a simple compact digicam that
    >> records for longer than 10 minutes but I don't want to look for
    >> something which I can't hope to find!
    >>
    >> I seem to remember that in the UK a digital camera is not permitted to
    >> record in movie mode for more than 10 minutes.
    >>
    >> It seem that if it did then the digicam would get classified by the
    >> authorities as a "camcorder", and there are different taxes/quotas for
    >> camcorders and digicams!
    >>
    >> Is this still true?

    >I've never heard of this. There's just VAT in the UK (currently 17.5%).
    > If there's extra tax then it's something dealt with by the
    >retailer/manufacturer.

    Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't make it untrue.

    Camcorders do attract a much higher rate of import duty than cameras.
    The rate of duty on camcorders is 14.0%. Duty on film cameras is 4.9%
    whereas the rate of duty on digital cameras is currently 0.0%.

    Import duty is paid on importation by the importer, as its name
    suggests, and it will inevitably be reflected in the price paid by the
    consumer. So manufacturers of digital camera restrict their UK models
    to a maximum of 10 minutes' video recording in order to keep prices
    down. An additional 14% on top would make many digital cameras
    uncompetitive with others that stay within the 10 minute rule.

    It isn't only the import duty; VAT is payable on the import duty as
    well as the price of the item. Tax on duty. ;-)

    I am sure that the 10 minute rule is not a deal breaker for >99% of
    buyers of digital cameras. But it does exist, in spite of the fact
    that you don't know about it.
    Bruce, Jul 12, 2008

  3. In message <>, Bruce
    <> writes

    >I am sure that the 10 minute rule is not a deal breaker for >99% of
    >buyers of digital cameras. But it does exist, in spite of the fact
    >that you don't know about it.

    It's been an annoyance to me personally -- I was recording a friend's
    45-minute-long presentation at a conference with a Canon A640 in video
    mode and I had to restart the recording every 8 minutes or so. I edited
    the sections together and compressed the video using VirtualDub.

    It's worth noting that the in-camera real-time video compression in the
    A640 is not very good (not surprising given the limited computing power
    available), resulting in 1Gb files for each 8-minute segment. I think
    this is going to be true for most digital still cameras with a video
    mode. In the end I produced a 250Mb .avi file of acceptable quality from
    the 6Gb of raw video I started with.
    --
    To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon
    Robert Sneddon, Jul 12, 2008
  4. Poldie

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Sneddon <> wrote:

    >It's been an annoyance to me personally

    Then buy a camcorder.
    Bruce, Jul 12, 2008
  5. ? "Bruce" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > Robert Sneddon <> wrote:
    >>
    >>It's been an annoyance to me personally

    > Then buy a camcorder.

    Definitely. My camcorder (Sony dcr hc-32e) sells here for 300 euros. It's
    discontinued and consumer, and just one store in Iraklion has it, the price
    is dropping all the time because they want it off their stock. It's much
    better though than a still camera in video mode:) (3 TDK 60 min tapes, mini
    DV, sell here for 6.90 euros, each tape is 14 GB).

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jul 12, 2008
  6. In message <g5b20c$bps$>, Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    <> writes

    >? "Bruce" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    >> Robert Sneddon <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>It's been an annoyance to me personally

    >> Then buy a camcorder.
    >>

    >Definitely.

    I record video very rarely, and usually in short bursts -- the case I
    specified in my post was, for me, unique in that I was recording for 40
    minutes or more.

    My next trip coming up is to Japan and my ability to schlep stuff
    around is limited by the total weight of my suitcases etc. I'd very much
    rather carry a decent point-and-shoot digital still camera and record
    occasional video shots than have to carry yet another piece of personal
    electronics around, with its ancillary battery charger, leads, tapes or
    other recording media etc.

    I've skinned my personal travel pack down so much I've actually
    manufactured short power leads for things like my PDA and battery
    chargers, to save 50 grammes each. I don't carry a laptop, even a
    lightweight one, on these sorts of trip. Instead I use a PDA to do the
    same job and back up the camera's SD card onto thumb drives which I mail
    home when they've got a decent amount of pictures on them.
    --
    To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon
    Robert Sneddon, Jul 12, 2008