Re: motherboard

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 18, 2009.

  1. philo wrote:

    > "mike" <> wrote:
    >> now will my xp operating bootup as normal,or will i have to formatt
    >> my hardrive and start again.

    > Neither
    >
    > you will need to perform a repair installation

    ...and then get Microsoft to authorize it for you. Your XP will see this
    as a new installation on a new computer, something that is not allowed
    by their EULA. There's a phone number somewhere you'll need to call.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 18, 2009

  2. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    John Holmes Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > philo wrote:
    >
    >> "mike" <> wrote:
    >>> now will my xp operating bootup as normal,or will i have to formatt
    >>> my hardrive and start again.

    >> Neither
    >>
    >> you will need to perform a repair installation

    > ..and then get Microsoft to authorize it for you. Your XP will see this
    > as a new installation on a new computer, something that is not allowed
    > by their EULA. There's a phone number somewhere you'll need to call.

    Not neccesarily true. I have done numerous repair installations on new
    mainboards without any problems.

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Jan 18, 2009

  3. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    walter Guest

    John Holmes wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> philo wrote:

    >>> Neither
    >>>
    >>> you will need to perform a repair installation

    >> ..and then get Microsoft to authorize it for you. Your XP will see
    >> this as a new installation on a new computer, something that is not
    >> allowed by their EULA. There's a phone number somewhere you'll need
    >> to call.
    >>

    > Not neccesarily true. I have done numerous repair installations on new
    > mainboards without any problems.

    As have I. And not just MBs. Decent info here
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php as to what hardware changes will trigger
    (re)activation. The page is slightly outdated [11/07] and the author has
    since passed away, but I find it still holds true in most cases.
    walter, Jan 18, 2009
  4. walter wrote:

    > John Holmes wrote:
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> ..and then get Microsoft to authorize it for you. Your XP will see
    >>> this as a new installation on a new computer, something that is not
    >>> allowed by their EULA. There's a phone number somewhere you'll need
    >>> to call.

    >> Not neccesarily true. I have done numerous repair installations on
    >> new mainboards without any problems.

    Perhaps you didn't wait around for the owners to receive the shutdown
    notice 120 days later? :)

    > As have I. And not just MBs. Decent info here
    > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php as to what hardware changes will
    > trigger (re)activation. The page is slightly outdated [11/07] and
    > the author has since passed away, but I find it still holds true in
    > most cases.

    The section "Changing the motherboard" seems to cover it. Re-activation
    will be required in some cases. Thanks for the confirmation.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 18, 2009
  5. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    walter Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > walter wrote:
    >
    >> John Holmes wrote:
    >>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> Not neccesarily true. I have done numerous repair installations on
    >>> new mainboards without any problems.

    > Perhaps you didn't wait around for the owners to receive the shutdown
    > notice 120 days later? :)

    The activation window pops up on boot after a major repair, and I always
    make sure it's activated either via the Internet or by phone before I leave
    the scene of the crime. :).

    >> As have I. And not just MBs. Decent info here
    >> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php as to what hardware changes will
    >> trigger (re)activation. The page is slightly outdated [11/07] and
    >> the author has since passed away, but I find it still holds true in
    >> most cases.

    > The section "Changing the motherboard" seems to cover it.
    > Re-activation will be required in some cases.

    Some, but not all.

    > Thanks for the confirmation.

    Welcome.
    walter, Jan 18, 2009