Re: Motherboard slot

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jinxy, Apr 4, 2009.

  1. jinxy

    jinxy Guest

    On Apr 4, 9:28 am, "Periproct" <> wrote:
    > Being slightly lazy here. I have tried google, honest but time is short.
    >
    > I have an old PCI slot motherboard but there is another slot which I can't
    > identify. A short brown slot divided equally in two. I thought CNR at first
    > but from what I can find on google that is divided into two slots of unequal
    > length.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    maybe an agp card slot?
    -J
    jinxy, Apr 4, 2009

  2. jinxy

    Paul Guest

    Periproct wrote:
    > "jinxy" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 4, 9:28 am, "Periproct" <> wrote:
    >> Being slightly lazy here. I have tried google, honest but time is short.
    >>
    >> I have an old PCI slot motherboard but there is another slot which I can't
    >> identify. A short brown slot divided equally in two. I thought CNR at

    > first
    >> but from what I can find on google that is divided into two slots of

    > unequal
    >> length.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > maybe an agp card slot?
    > -J
    >
    > That took me off to google again. It looks more the size of a PCIe x1 slot
    > but even that is divided slightly off centre. I'll check the motherboard
    > again.
    >
    > Desperately trying to get LogMeIn to display the video that is recorded on
    > the PC running DVR surviellance software.

    In the picture of an AMR slot here, there are 11 positions in one section,
    and 12 positions in the other. The off-center divider, means a card
    can only be inserted one way.

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/AMR_and_PCI_slots.gk.jpg

    If your connector is truly symmetric, and there are no other mechanical guidance
    features to prevent wrong insertion, it could mean the pinout has some
    symmetry to it. Such that if the inserted device was rotated the wrong way,
    there'd be no damage. Maybe a device with two identical channels, arranged
    with mirror symmetry ?

    If the device was "just a PC", there'd be less incentive to put
    a really strange connector in there.

    Some older PCs had provision to add a voltage regulator module,
    but even that should be set up to only fit one way.

    Paul
    Paul, Apr 4, 2009

  3. jinxy

    gnu / linux Guest