Re: Most of my newsgroups are gone!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Mar 31, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Arthur F. Quinn wrote:
    > I turned on my computer today and found all newsgroups but 11 are gone,
    > including 24hoursupport.helpdesk.

    What you see in OE is a reflection of how OE is interpreting its database
    for the identity. OE commonly gets its db files corrupted, thus the
    identity's view of its accounts' groups may be corrupted.

    > I switched to another identity, there
    > are another 11 newsgroup I had, lucky for me, they include
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk. Before the incident, I got hundreds of
    > newsgroups for each of them.

    Exactly. Different id, different folder of .dbx files, the format of the
    OE db database.

    > I am using MS Outlook Express. My DSL provider is EarthLink. There are
    > two things unusual yesterday. One is my computer is slow and sluggish,
    > sometimes I need to click twice to surf the Internet and the computer
    > stopped response for 1 or 2 minutes many times.

    Ugh.

    > The second thing is
    > that MS Outlook express asked to compact itself after I closed it. It
    > has done that before so I am not alerted.

    Compacting is both very important and also potentially 'dangerous'.
    Sometimes corruption occurs as a result of adverse events during
    compaction. IMO inmyopinion it is better to handle the compaction
    yourself rather than automated and to do it regularly, along with some
    other maintenance type rearranging of folder contents.

    > I have McAfee Total Protection for AV and Firewall. I scanned my
    > computer yesterday and didn't find any virus or worm.

    Negative results of malware scan doesn't mean there isn't any. It just
    means that you got a negative result with one developer's scan.

    > I also can't add the newsgroups back on, even they are gone. Outlook
    > Express just treats them as non-existent, even the other identity could
    > see the newsgroups. Now both identities could only see about 50
    > newsgroups.

    I don't know what 'could only see about 50 groups' means. You have groups
    which you have subscribed which is some number, and you have groups to
    which you haven't subscribed, which is a huge number. What groups you see
    depends on where you are looking.

    > What should I do next? Can I back up emails from Inbox then reinstall
    > Outlook Express.

    First I would familiarize yourself with the valuable information at Tom
    Koch's site http://www.insideoe.com/ Help, tips, FAQs and technical
    information to help you use, understand, and repair Microsoft Outlook
    Express

    You can find out about your stores, backing up, repairs, tools, etc there

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 31, 2009