Re: Most companies using open source violate intellectual propertyrights

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Judges 13:18, Jul 27, 2010.

  1. Judges 13:18

    Judges 13:18 Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > Giveaway software published by open source developers is assumed by most
    > users to be "free" -- no cost and unencumbered by any any licensing
    > restrictions. But clearly that's not true. No cost? Yes, because the
    > software has zero value on the open market. But open source software
    > remains
    > the exclusive property of the developers who created it, just like any
    > other
    > software. And apparently that's placed most end users of open source
    > software in a bind..
    >
    > "More than 65% of respondents who believed that they were not distributing
    > open source software were in fact providing software to customers, partners
    > or others outside the organization. In addition, only 22% of companies were
    > using any tools or services to determine whether software contained open
    > source, despite the fact that 84% use open source software."
    >
    > http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2010/06/30/4879060.htm
    >
    > As confused as the Larry D'Loserites are about property rights, this is
    > hardly surprising.
    >
    >


    So, someone does the work for you for free, you take it, claim the
    total ownership of it all, sell it and keep all the money?
    Choice, bro!

    And then, when someone comes and tells you it is not on,
    than you whinge your arse out about open source compliance!
    Ripper!

    BTW, commercial software you have bought has exactly zero value on
    the market. Why? Because you cannot sell it. Legally, that is.
     
    Judges 13:18, Jul 27, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In article <>, Judges 13:18 <> wrote:
    >impossible wrote:
    >> Giveaway software published by open source developers is assumed by most
    >> users to be "free" -- no cost and unencumbered by any any licensing
    >> restrictions.


    While your rant is not new, it is still wrong. Of course. :)

    (snip)
    >BTW, commercial software you have bought has exactly zero value on
    >the market. Why? Because you cannot sell it. Legally, that is.


    Sometimes. As you suggest, many licences say they aren't transferrable. Some
    are of course.
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 28, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Judges 13:18

    AD. Guest

    On Jul 28, 4:12 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > Just because you're a nym-shifting sock puppet doesn't give you a license to
    > be completely stupid.


    Nah, a nym shifting sock puppet would really need to get one of those
    licenses from you.

    With one of your complete stupidity licenses, he'd be able to put his
    own words in other people mouths and claim all sorts of wild fantasies
    without any evidence. He'd be able to completely misread survey
    results. He'd be able to claim blog postings can't be trusted, and
    then a few days later rely on blog postings that agree with him to
    make stuff up. He'd be able to claim survey results are biased because
    they come from a company selling something, yet a few days later use
    survey results coming from company selling something to make more
    stuff up. He wouldn't need to ever back any argument up. If he ever
    paints himself into a completely contradictory corner he can't
    sidestep out of, he can just claim censorship and run away.

    So speaking of those contradictory corners, have you yet found any
    examples of:

    * GPL "ideologues" who don't think the GPL has any legal restrictions

    * Evidence that companies actually believed these supposed ideologues

    * Open source software that is as restricted as closed source software

    * Closed source versions of Linux

    * Evidence that all Eclipse users are open source developers

    etc

    Or do you need some more time? I can come back later if you like.

    If you can't find any of that stuff, don't worry - you can just try
    the old favorite "you're censoring me" tantrum or just fling around
    enough abuse for long enough that everyone forgets about your original
    claim. It never fails, then you'll be ready to respond the next time
    one of Larry's posts makes you go all tingly with anticipation.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
     
    AD., Jul 28, 2010
    #3
  4. Judges 13:18

    Gunnar Gren Guest

    2010-07-27 Judges 13 18 <>:
    >
    > BTW, commercial software you have bought has exactly zero value on
    > the market. Why? Because you cannot sell it. Legally, that is.


    You can sell it legally, at least where i live.

    Buy a copy of, for example, adobe photoshop or what it's called these
    days. You can sell if you do not like it.
     
    Gunnar Gren, Jul 29, 2010
    #4
  5. Judges 13:18

    peterwn Guest

    On Jul 30, 12:17 am, Gunnar Gren <> wrote:
    > 2010-07-27 Judges 13  18 <>:
    >
    >
    >
    > > BTW, commercial software you have bought has exactly zero value on
    > > the market.  Why?  Because you cannot sell it.  Legally, that is.

    >
    > You can sell it legally, at least where i live.
    >
    > Buy a copy of, for example, adobe photoshop or what it's called these
    > days. You can sell if you do not like it.


    <commercial>
    Even better, download a copy of GIMP for free. If you do not like it,
    just uninstall it. The GPL allows you to execute the code to your
    heart's content, even in a commercial environment. There are no GPL
    conditions affecting such use.
    GIMP is available for both Windows and Linux and can be made to run on
    just about any processor for which a Linux 'tool chain' is available.
    </commercial>
     
    peterwn, Jul 29, 2010
    #5
  6. Re: Most companies using open source violate intellectual property rights

    In message <4c517172$0$74749$4all.se>, Gunnar Gren
    wrote:

    > You can sell [proprietary software] legally, at least where i live.


    If it requires “activationâ€, the vendor may charge a fee, or refuse to
    reactivate it altogether.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 30, 2010
    #6
  7. Judges 13:18

    Gunnar Gren Guest

    2010-07-30 Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>:
    > In message <4c517172$0$74749$4all.se>, Gunnar Gren
    > wrote:
    >
    >> You can sell [proprietary software] legally, at least where i live.

    >
    > If it requires ???activation???, the vendor may charge a fee, or refuse to
    > reactivate it altogether.


    Perhaps, but if you have a legal copy you can do what ever you like
    to make it work.
     
    Gunnar Gren, Jul 30, 2010
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Au79
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    362
    Liza Smorgaborgsson
    Jan 30, 2006
  2. Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor

    REVIEW: "Intellectual Property and Open Source", Van Lindberg

    Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor, Jan 5, 2009, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    601
    Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor
    Jan 5, 2009
  3. peterwn
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    306
    Bruce Sinclair
    Jul 26, 2010
  4. AD.
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    425
    Sweetpea
    Jul 27, 2010
  5. AD.
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    313
Loading...

Share This Page