Re: more than only one certificate per server

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Felix Tiede, Jun 21, 2008.

  1. Felix Tiede

    Felix Tiede Guest

    toralf wrote:

    > Hello,
    >

    > We serve at work many customers within a client/server architecture
    > and would like to have different certs for different customer - but
    > we've only one server where all customers connect to.
    >
    > Therefor I'm wondering, whether it is possible for a server providing a
    > SSL connection to its web service to accept more than only one
    > certificate.

    A web service using SSL/TLS can accept more than one client certificate,
    f.ex. one for each customer. If your web service supports specifying
    certification authorities to sign client certificates (like apache does),
    you can create a CA to sign client certificates. This would enable you to
    issue new client certificates without reconfiguring your web service. And
    if you can specify certificate revocation lists as well, you can also
    revoke certificates without reconfiguration. But this depends on what the
    server behind your web service supports.

    What a web service can't do is present different server certificates to each
    customer, except each customer would use his own IP/Port combination.

    Hope it helps,
    Felix Tiede
    Felix Tiede, Jun 21, 2008