Re: More shooter harassment

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jul 20, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jul 19, 12:56 pm, Bowser <> wrote:
    > OK, my turn. I was on Martha's Vineyard (MA, USA) for a bit, and while
    > there I stopped to shoot a picture of the ferry terminal building in Oak
    > Bluffs. While shooting the picture, an employee of the Steamship
    > Authority, the company who has a lock on transportation to and from the
    > island, ask "sir, what are you doing?" I replied that I was taking a
    > picture. She told me that "Homeland Security says that's illegal. Please
    > don't take pictures of the building." I replied, politely, that it
    > wasn't illegal and there are no laws against taking pictures of
    > anything. I asked her to quote me the name and number of the law I was
    > breaking. She said that her supervisor told her that this was illegal,
    > so I had to stop. I said nonsense. She and her supervisor are dead
    > wrong, and that she had no right to tell me what I can, or can't shoot,
    > especially since I was standing on a public crosswalk. She called a cop
    > over, who pretty much verified everything I told her. She asked for my
    > name, address, everything, but I refused. The cop sided with me. Now she
    > was pissed. She summoned someone from inside the building, he came out,
    > they talked for a second, and they hustled her inside where she couldn't
    > bother anyone else. The cop just shook his head, the SSA employee
    > apologized, I told them "no problem" and we all went our separate ways.
    >
    > I'm guessing she was just a moron. I've been riding that ferry for 30
    > years, and have shot all manner of pictures on and off the boats, and
    > not once have I ever been approached or told I can't shoot pictures.
    > People shoot pictures on and around the ships all the time. I can't
    > figure out why she singled me out.

    Good going. If more people stand up to these officious little morons,
    we'll be better off.
    RichA, Jul 20, 2011

  2. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 05:37:17 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
[...]
    : >
    :
    : Good going. If more people stand up to these officious little morons,
    : we'll be better off.

    True. But let's not lose sight of the important point in Bowser's story: the
    policeman sided with him. One can stoically tolerate the brays and cackles of
    the yokelry. (Free speech applies to them too.) It's when law enforcement
    agencies take their side, against our rights, that we have to be concerned.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 21, 2011

  3. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 20:46:47 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 05:37:17 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    >: On Jul 19, 12:56 pm, Bowser <> wrote:
    >: > OK, my turn. I was on Martha's Vineyard (MA, USA) for a bit, and while
    >: > there I stopped to shoot a picture of the ferry terminal building in Oak
    >: > Bluffs. While shooting the picture, an employee of the Steamship
    >: > Authority, the company who has a lock on transportation to and from the
    >: > island, ask "sir, what are you doing?" I replied that I was taking a
    >: > picture. She told me that "Homeland Security says that's illegal. Please
    >: > don't take pictures of the building." I replied, politely, that it
    >: > wasn't illegal and there are no laws against taking pictures of
    >: > anything. I asked her to quote me the name and number of the law I was
    >: > breaking. She said that her supervisor told her that this was illegal,
    >: > so I had to stop. I said nonsense. She and her supervisor are dead
    >: > wrong, and that she had no right to tell me what I can, or can't shoot,
    >: > especially since I was standing on a public crosswalk. She called a cop
    >: > over, who pretty much verified everything I told her. She asked for my
    >: > name, address, everything, but I refused. The cop sided with me. Now she
    >: > was pissed. She summoned someone from inside the building, he came out,
    >: > they talked for a second, and they hustled her inside where she couldn't
    >: > bother anyone else. The cop just shook his head, the SSA employee
    >: > apologized, I told them "no problem" and we all went our separate ways.
    >: >
    >: > I'm guessing she was just a moron. I've been riding that ferry for 30
    >: > years, and have shot all manner of pictures on and off the boats, and
    >: > not once have I ever been approached or told I can't shoot pictures.
    >: > People shoot pictures on and around the ships all the time. I can't
    >: > figure out why she singled me out.
    >:
    >: Good going. If more people stand up to these officious little morons,
    >: we'll be better off.
    >
    >True. But let's not lose sight of the important point in Bowser's story: the
    >policeman sided with him. One can stoically tolerate the brays and cackles of
    >the yokelry. (Free speech applies to them too.) It's when law enforcement
    >agencies take their side, against our rights, that we have to be concerned.

    There is another point in the story. Bowser said the SSA person
    apologized. It's not inconceivable that the SSA people thought they
    were in the right. However, they now know they aren't and have
    acknowledged that by apologizing. Isn't that progress?

    My suggestion to Bowser is to stop wearing that photographer's vest
    with all the pockets that resembles a bomb vest, stop wearing that
    black and white checkered keffiyeh and buy a Tilley hat, and to stop
    yelling "Allahu Akbar" when his camera finally finds a focus point.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 21, 2011