    flies with honey than vinegar". Given the same situation, rather than
    inflaming the situation, I'd have politely left and come back later to
    finish, if it were that important.
    ray, Jul 19, 2011

  2. ray

    tony cooper Guest

    On 19 Jul 2011 22:05:00 GMT, ray <> wrote:

    >I found out a long time ago, as the old adage says: "you'll catch more
    >flies with honey than vinegar". Given the same situation, rather than
    >inflaming the situation, I'd have politely left and come back later to
    >finish, if it were that important.

    I would have agreed with her politely, explained the lack of law, and
    then offered to take her photograph and email it to her or bring it
    back another day. She'd probably give you an insider's tour if you
    did that.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 19, 2011

  3. ray

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, ray <>
    wrote:

    > I found out a long time ago, as the old adage says: "you'll catch more
    > flies with honey than vinegar". Given the same situation, rather than
    > inflaming the situation, I'd have politely left and come back later to
    > finish, if it were that important.

    what if what you wanted to photograph wasn't there later? or the light
    was not ideal? or you couldn't go back later at all? why should you
    have to comply with a non-existent law?
    nospam, Jul 20, 2011
  4. ray

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:59:47 -0400, nospam wrote:

    > In article <>, ray <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I found out a long time ago, as the old adage says: "you'll catch more
    >> flies with honey than vinegar". Given the same situation, rather than
    >> inflaming the situation, I'd have politely left and come back later to
    >> finish, if it were that important.

    > what if what you wanted to photograph wasn't there later? or the light
    > was not ideal? or you couldn't go back later at all? why should you have
    > to comply with a non-existent law?

    You shouldn't - however, I have found it best to 'pick my battles' rather
    than jump in with both feet every time I am questioned. From the tone of
    the OP's post, things were made worse than they need have been by his
    attitude.
    ray, Jul 20, 2011
  5. "ray" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:59:47 -0400, nospam wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, ray <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I found out a long time ago, as the old adage says: "you'll catch more
    >>> flies with honey than vinegar". Given the same situation, rather than
    >>> inflaming the situation, I'd have politely left and come back later to
    >>> finish, if it were that important.

    >> what if what you wanted to photograph wasn't there later? or the light
    >> was not ideal? or you couldn't go back later at all? why should you have
    >> to comply with a non-existent law?

    > You shouldn't - however, I have found it best to 'pick my battles' rather
    > than jump in with both feet every time I am questioned. From the tone of
    > the OP's post, things were made worse than they need have been by his
    > attitude.

    It was made worse by the attitude of the ill-informed employee, not the OP.
    Don't blame the OP for not allowing an idiot to violate his rights. If more
    people did what the OP did, perhaps we'd have less ill-formed idiots trying to
    violate people's rights.
    Pete Stavrakoglou, Jul 20, 2011
  6. ray

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/20/2011 8:18 AM, Pete Stavrakoglou wrote:
    > "ray"<> wrote in message news:...
    >> On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:59:47 -0400, nospam wrote:

    >>> what if what you wanted to photograph wasn't there later? or the light
    >>> was not ideal? or you couldn't go back later at all? why should you have
    >>> to comply with a non-existent law?

    >> You shouldn't - however, I have found it best to 'pick my battles' rather
    >> than jump in with both feet every time I am questioned. From the tone of
    >> the OP's post, things were made worse than they need have been by his
    >> attitude.

    > It was made worse by the attitude of the ill-informed employee, not the OP.
    > Don't blame the OP for not allowing an idiot to violate his rights. If more
    > people did what the OP did, perhaps we'd have less ill-formed idiots trying to
    > violate people's rights.

    More importantly, if we didn't those morons would be successful. But,
    I'm the type of person who will pee away thousands, but hold up a long
    checkout line because of being overcharged a few cents.
    BTW when I do that I have never heard anybody complain. They seem
    genuinely glad I did.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 20, 2011
  7. ray

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <j06h2c$a8g$>, says...

    > "ray" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:59:47 -0400, nospam wrote:

    > >> what if what you wanted to photograph wasn't there later? or the light
    > >> was not ideal? or you couldn't go back later at all? why should you have
    > >> to comply with a non-existent law?

    > > You shouldn't - however, I have found it best to 'pick my battles' rather
    > > than jump in with both feet every time I am questioned. From the tone of
    > > the OP's post, things were made worse than they need have been by his
    > > attitude.

    > It was made worse by the attitude of the ill-informed employee, not the OP.
    > Don't blame the OP for not allowing an idiot to violate his rights. If more
    > people did what the OP did, perhaps we'd have less ill-formed idiots trying to
    > violate people's rights.

    I don't see how anything was "made worse" here. The OP got his shot,
    the idiot got educated, the cop got to make some points for the good
    guys, everybody came out a winner, except maybe the idiot's dog when the
    idiot went home and kicked it.
    J. Clarke, Jul 20, 2011
  8. ray

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 08:29:16 -0400, PeterN wrote:

    > On 7/20/2011 8:18 AM, Pete Stavrakoglou wrote:
    >> "ray"<> wrote in message

    >>> You shouldn't - however, I have found it best to 'pick my battles'
    >>> rather than jump in with both feet every time I am questioned. From
    >>> the tone of the OP's post, things were made worse than they need have
    >>> been by his attitude.

    >> It was made worse by the attitude of the ill-informed employee, not the
    >> OP. Don't blame the OP for not allowing an idiot to violate his rights.
    >> If more people did what the OP did, perhaps we'd have less ill-formed
    >> idiots trying to violate people's rights.
    >>

    > More importantly, if we didn't those morons would be successful. But,
    > I'm the type of person who will pee away thousands, but hold up a long
    > checkout line because of being overcharged a few cents. BTW when I do
    > that I have never heard anybody complain. They seem genuinely glad I
    > did.

    I wonder if you'd make such a stink if you were UNDERCHARGED.
    ray, Jul 20, 2011
  9. ray

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:36:42 -0400, Bowser wrote:

    > On 7/19/2011 6:05 PM, ray wrote:
    >> I found out a long time ago, as the old adage says: "you'll catch more
    >> flies with honey than vinegar". Given the same situation, rather than
    >> inflaming the situation, I'd have politely left and come back later to
    >> finish, if it were that important.
    >>

    > I've been harassed enough times to be fed up with it, especially when
    > the person doing the harassing knows nothing about the law. There are NO
    > laws in the US restricting what I can shoot when standing on a public
    > street. She was just being an asshole. Someone else with more patience
    > can use the "honey" approach.

    Certainly glad you won't be doing any work for me.
    ray, Jul 20, 2011
  10. "ray" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 08:29:16 -0400, PeterN wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/20/2011 8:18 AM, Pete Stavrakoglou wrote:
    >>> "ray"<> wrote in message

    >>> It was made worse by the attitude of the ill-informed employee, not the
    >>> OP. Don't blame the OP for not allowing an idiot to violate his rights.
    >>> If more people did what the OP did, perhaps we'd have less ill-formed
    >>> idiots trying to violate people's rights.
    >>>

    >> More importantly, if we didn't those morons would be successful. But,
    >> I'm the type of person who will pee away thousands, but hold up a long
    >> checkout line because of being overcharged a few cents. BTW when I do
    >> that I have never heard anybody complain. They seem genuinely glad I
    >> did.

    > I wonder if you'd make such a stink if you were UNDERCHARGED.

    I suspect that PeterN would do the same thing that this one would do: point out
    the error and pay what is owed.
    Pete Stavrakoglou, Jul 21, 2011
  11. ray

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/20/2011 10:27 AM, ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 08:29:16 -0400, PeterN wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/20/2011 8:18 AM, Pete Stavrakoglou wrote:
    >>> "ray"<> wrote in message

    >>> It was made worse by the attitude of the ill-informed employee, not the
    >>> OP. Don't blame the OP for not allowing an idiot to violate his rights.
    >>> If more people did what the OP did, perhaps we'd have less ill-formed
    >>> idiots trying to violate people's rights.
    >>>

    >> More importantly, if we didn't those morons would be successful. But,
    >> I'm the type of person who will pee away thousands, but hold up a long
    >> checkout line because of being overcharged a few cents. BTW when I do
    >> that I have never heard anybody complain. They seem genuinely glad I
    >> did.

    > I wonder if you'd make such a stink if you were UNDERCHARGED.

    I have.

    If you think asking to pay the correct price is making a stink, you have
    a serious serious problem.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 21, 2011
  12. ray

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 15:51:46 -0400, PeterN wrote:

    > On 7/20/2011 10:27 AM, ray wrote:

    >>> More importantly, if we didn't those morons would be successful. But,
    >>> I'm the type of person who will pee away thousands, but hold up a long
    >>> checkout line because of being overcharged a few cents. BTW when I do
    >>> that I have never heard anybody complain. They seem genuinely glad I
    >>> did.

    >> I wonder if you'd make such a stink if you were UNDERCHARGED.

    > I have.
    >
    > If you think asking to pay the correct price is making a stink, you have
    > a serious serious problem.

    "hold up a long checkout line because of being overcharged a few cents" -
    yes, sounds like a stink to me.
    ray, Jul 21, 2011
  13. ray

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/21/2011 5:09 PM, ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 15:51:46 -0400, PeterN wrote:

    >>> I wonder if you'd make such a stink if you were UNDERCHARGED.

    >> I have.
    >>
    >> If you think asking to pay the correct price is making a stink, you have
    >> a serious serious problem.

    > "hold up a long checkout line because of being overcharged a few cents" -
    > yes, sounds like a stink to me.

    I guess you do.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 22, 2011
  14. ray

    John Turco Guest

    Bowser wrote:

    > > On 7/19/2011 6:05 PM, ray wrote:
    > > I found out a long time ago, as the old adage says: "you'll catch more
    > > flies with honey than vinegar". Given the same situation, rather than
    > > inflaming the situation, I'd have politely left and come back later to
    > > finish, if it were that important.

    > I've been harassed enough times to be fed up with it, especially when
    > the person doing the harassing knows nothing about the law. There are NO
    > laws in the US restricting what I can shoot when standing on a public
    > street. She was just being an asshole. Someone else with more patience
    > can use the "honey" approach.

    Actually, bees are attracted to honey; flies prefer dung, garbage, carrion
    and other such "delightful" materials.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>