Re: Monopod

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ofnuts, Nov 4, 2010.

  1. Ofnuts

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 11/04/2010 04:04 AM, Peabody wrote:
    > Would something like this probably work ok?
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/220677345259
    >
    > Any other suggestions for a low-cost monopod? I don't need
    > anything fancy, but would like to be able shift easily between
    > portrait and landscape.

    Hard to tell without a good look at the ballhead.

    I'm quite happy with my el-cheapo monopod, it's strong enough to double
    as a walking stick.

    Personally I shun monopod head with mounting plates, because I use
    monopods mostly with lenses that have their own mount (macro,
    telephoto), and that would imply either having mounting plates on all
    lenses (and to use the same plates on the monopod and the tripod...) or
    to switch the mount plate around. My monopod has a simple ballhead and a
    nicely designed screw which is almost as fast as mounting plates.

    If you are a tall person, make sure the 'pod is high enough if you use
    it for telephoto. Your neck will thank you.

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Nov 4, 2010

  2. Ofnuts

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 14:38:29 +0100, Ofnuts <>
    wrote:

    >On 11/04/2010 04:04 AM, Peabody wrote:
    >> Would something like this probably work ok?
    >>
    >> http://cgi.ebay.com/220677345259
    >>
    >> Any other suggestions for a low-cost monopod? I don't need
    >> anything fancy, but would like to be able shift easily between
    >> portrait and landscape.

    >Hard to tell without a good look at the ballhead.
    >
    >I'm quite happy with my el-cheapo monopod, it's strong enough to double
    >as a walking stick.
    >
    >Personally I shun monopod head with mounting plates, because I use
    >monopods mostly with lenses that have their own mount (macro,
    >telephoto), and that would imply either having mounting plates on all
    >lenses (and to use the same plates on the monopod and the tripod...) or
    >to switch the mount plate around. My monopod has a simple ballhead and a
    >nicely designed screw which is almost as fast as mounting plates.
    >
    >If you are a tall person, make sure the 'pod is high enough if you use
    >it for telephoto. Your neck will thank you.

    I have a $25 monopod (bought several years ago) that works quite
    satisfactorily. It's not a tripod, but it braces the camera
    sufficiently for certain slow speeds. You can't use a monopod when
    you need a tripod, but an inexpensive monopod can be all you'll need.

    I have two tripods: a very light-weight portable one and a heavier
    one. Again, each is fine for the designated function. You just can't
    expect too much from certain items.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 4, 2010

  3. Ofnuts

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 14:38:29 +0100, Ofnuts <> wrote:
    : On 11/04/2010 04:04 AM, Peabody wrote:
    : > Would something like this probably work ok?
    : >
    :
    : Hard to tell without a good look at the ballhead.
    :
    : I'm quite happy with my el-cheapo monopod, it's strong enough to double
    : as a walking stick.
    :
    : Personally I shun monopod head with mounting plates, because I use
    : monopods mostly with lenses that have their own mount (macro,
    : telephoto), and that would imply either having mounting plates on all
    : lenses (and to use the same plates on the monopod and the tripod...) or
    : to switch the mount plate around. My monopod has a simple ballhead and a
    : nicely designed screw which is almost as fast as mounting plates.

    Are there n-pods that actually require a mounting plate? I thought a mounting
    plate was just part of a quick-release mechanism and that you could always go
    with the bare screw instead. That's how it is with my Benro ball head.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Nov 5, 2010
  4. Ofnuts

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 11/05/2010 11:58 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 14:38:29 +0100, Ofnuts<> wrote:
    > : On 11/04/2010 04:04 AM, Peabody wrote:
    > :> Would something like this probably work ok?
    > :>
    > :> http://cgi.ebay.com/220677345259
    > :>
    > :> Any other suggestions for a low-cost monopod? I don't need
    > :> anything fancy, but would like to be able shift easily between
    > :> portrait and landscape.
    > :
    > : Hard to tell without a good look at the ballhead.
    > :
    > : I'm quite happy with my el-cheapo monopod, it's strong enough to double
    > : as a walking stick.
    > :
    > : Personally I shun monopod head with mounting plates, because I use
    > : monopods mostly with lenses that have their own mount (macro,
    > : telephoto), and that would imply either having mounting plates on all
    > : lenses (and to use the same plates on the monopod and the tripod...) or
    > : to switch the mount plate around. My monopod has a simple ballhead and a
    > : nicely designed screw which is almost as fast as mounting plates.
    >
    > Are there n-pods that actually require a mounting plate? I thought a mounting
    > plate was just part of a quick-release mechanism and that you could always go
    > with the bare screw instead. That's how it is with my Benro ball head.
    >
    > Bob

    Well, the n-Pod normally has a fixed screw on whoich you can mount some
    kind of orientable head that uses mounting plates or just another plain
    screw. In practice most monopods (and all the cheap ones) are sold with
    a head, so my advice applies to these" kit" heads.

    The case is a bit different for tripods, because it's not too practical
    to carry a camera with a tripod attached under it, so a quick-release is
    a nice thing.

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Nov 6, 2010
  5. Ofnuts

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 11/06/2010 03:40 AM, Peabody wrote:
    > Ofnuts says...
    >
    > > Well, the n-Pod normally has a fixed screw on whoich you
    > > can mount some kind of orientable head that uses
    > > mounting plates or just another plain screw. In practice
    > > most monopods (and all the cheap ones) are sold with a
    > > head, so my advice applies to these" kit" heads.

    > But from the pictures of these inexpensive monopods, the
    > standard heads don't appear to allow you to go into
    > portrait mode. Is that right? It seems you would need a
    > ball head with a slot.

    Yes, that's something to check, but I've never come across a ballhead
    without it (it's really easy to add, almost part of the basic design).

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Nov 6, 2010
  6. Ofnuts

    peter Guest

    On 11/6/2010 7:05 AM, Ofnuts wrote:
    > On 11/06/2010 03:40 AM, Peabody wrote:
    >> Ofnuts says...
    >>
    >> > Well, the n-Pod normally has a fixed screw on whoich you
    >> > can mount some kind of orientable head that uses
    >> > mounting plates or just another plain screw. In practice
    >> > most monopods (and all the cheap ones) are sold with a
    >> > head, so my advice applies to these" kit" heads.

    >> But from the pictures of these inexpensive monopods, the
    >> standard heads don't appear to allow you to go into
    >> portrait mode. Is that right? It seems you would need a
    >> ball head with a slot.
    >>

    > Yes, that's something to check, but I've never come across a ballhead
    > without it (it's really easy to add, almost part of the basic design).

    True. But there is a lot of creeping on the inexpensive heads.

    --
    Peter

    peter, Nov 7, 2010
  7. Ofnuts

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 11/07/2010 02:31 AM, peter wrote:
    > On 11/6/2010 7:05 AM, Ofnuts wrote:
    >> On 11/06/2010 03:40 AM, Peabody wrote:
    >>> Ofnuts says...

    >>> But from the pictures of these inexpensive monopods, the
    >>> standard heads don't appear to allow you to go into
    >>> portrait mode. Is that right? It seems you would need a
    >>> ball head with a slot.
    >>>

    >> Yes, that's something to check, but I've never come across a ballhead
    >> without it (it's really easy to add, almost part of the basic design).
    >>

    > True. But there is a lot of creeping on the inexpensive heads.

    That's why they are inexpensive. OTOH on a monopod you don't care,
    because the 'pod is an assistance to, and not a replacement for, your
    arm and hands. For macro work I keep the ball fairly loose. Ideally for
    telephoto, one could use a single-axis head to help keeping the camera
    horizontal.

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Nov 7, 2010
  8. Ofnuts

    Ron Guest

    "Ofnuts" <> wrote in message
    > On 11/07/2010 02:31 AM, peter wrote:

    >>> Yes, that's something to check, but I've never come across a ballhead
    >>> without it (it's really easy to add, almost part of the basic design).
    >>>

    >> True. But there is a lot of creeping on the inexpensive heads.

    > That's why they are inexpensive. OTOH on a monopod you don't care, because
    > the 'pod is an assistance to, and not a replacement for, your arm and
    > hands. For macro work I keep the ball fairly loose. Ideally for telephoto,
    > one could use a single-axis head to help keeping the camera horizontal.

    I don't use a head on my monopod. I only use the monopod for long distance
    shots with my 100-400mm lens.

    Ron

    Ron, Nov 7, 2010