Re: Monopod?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by HRosita, Aug 30, 2003.

  1. HRosita

    HRosita Guest

    >Cheryl Conice wrote:

    >But this is silly, if we have to find other uses (such as weapons) before we
    >can
    >show that a monopod is better than a tripod, then I think we realise that the
    >tripod is indeed better.

    Nobody said that a monopod is better than a tripod. However, when a tripod
    cannot be used (in close quarters, places where a tripod is not allowed, or if
    a tripod is too heavy or clumsy to carry or set up), a monopod will be very
    usefull in reducing camera shake.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Aug 30, 2003

  2. HRosita

    Chris Hoopes Guest

    "HRosita" <> wrote in message
    > >Cheryl Conice wrote:

    > >But this is silly, if we have to find other uses (such as weapons) before

    we
    > >can
    > >show that a monopod is better than a tripod, then I think we realise that

    the
    > >tripod is indeed better.

    > Nobody said that a monopod is better than a tripod. However, when a tripod
    > cannot be used (in close quarters, places where a tripod is not allowed,

    or if
    > a tripod is too heavy or clumsy to carry or set up), a monopod will be

    very
    > usefull in reducing camera shake.
    > Rosita

    I have also found that my monopod can also be helpful when needing to extend
    my remote flash further upwards or away.
    Chris Hoopes, Aug 30, 2003

  3. HRosita

    W6DKN Guest

    Chris Hoopes wrote:
    > "HRosita" <> wrote in message
    >>> Cheryl Conice wrote:

    >>> But this is silly, if we have to find other uses (such as weapons)
    >>> before we can
    >>> show that a monopod is better than a tripod, then I think we
    >>> realise that the tripod is indeed better.

    >> Nobody said that a monopod is better than a tripod. However, when a
    >> tripod cannot be used (in close quarters, places where a tripod is
    >> not allowed, or if a tripod is too heavy or clumsy to carry or set
    >> up), a monopod will be very usefull in reducing camera shake.
    >> Rosita
    >>

    > I have also found that my monopod can also be helpful when needing to
    > extend my remote flash further upwards or away.

    Another good use I have found for my monopod is to be able to elevate the
    camera when you have to shoot over an obstacle. I have taken many good
    shots at the local zoo by placing my D100 on the monopod and holding it
    over the top of a barrier or fence. (This is one instance where a monopod
    is much more useful than a tripod). This method is also useful if you are
    shooting in a crowded environment - like at an airshow, political rally,
    etc.

    I'm 6'2" tall, and holding the camera overhead on the monopod provides
    around 11-12 feet of elevation. Using my wireless cable release (or even
    the camera self timer), allows me to get a clean shot of what would
    normally have to be shot through a chain-link fence or plexi-glass viewing
    panel...

    An interesting consequence of using this method with the self timer is that
    many times the animals are attracted to the blinking light on the camera
    self timer (especially monkeys) and they will often stare directly up and
    into the camera lens... (some other animals appear frightened of the
    blinking light, so the remote cable release works better for them).

    Like others have stated, "different tools for different tasks". Personally,
    I never gave much credit to using a monopod (preferring a tripod whenever
    possible) until I actually tried using one. It's funny how the more you use
    one, the more uses you can find for them. I now regret not having one for
    the many times in the past that I was forced to shoot without the luxury of
    having a tripod at ready hand. Now, I either have my tripod, or at least a
    monopod, no matter what the venue...

    W6DKN, Aug 30, 2003