Re: monitors???

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tom MacIntyre, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 04:55:57 -0500, "SBFan2000"
    <> wrote:

    >What about Samsung, KDS, AOC, or ProView??? I have never been a fan of
    >Samsung but I have been very happy with my MAG Innovision and when opening
    >it up to work on it I discovered the tube is a Samsung.

    I'll bet it isn't a particular line that had blue labels; they're
    famous for their high failure rate. They haven't been around in years.

    I always liked Mag, Viewsonic, and recent Samsung/Samtron (I did
    warranty repair for Samsung for about 5 years, and right now I am
    looking at a 17" Samtron that's had no problems in 2 1/2 years of
    heavy use), but the problem with monitors is certain potentially
    expensive and high failure rate parts can be a "flavour of the month"
    thing. There's no way to know what's inside. They should have to at
    least identify the CRT and whose capacitors they use, so a
    customer/end user can make an informed decision.

    You can be safe with anybody who doesn't make knee-jerk, unnecessary
    majorchanges every few months, generally. Warranty (or over the
    counter replacement) is also an issue.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Tom MacIntyre

    hootnholler Guest

    Hi SB :)

    One monitor that I would personally recommend, is Viewsonic. I work in
    industrial settings, ie, factories, and they seem to hold up very well.
    Given that these are in environments that are less than desirable, they do a
    very good job in reliability. I personally own an NEC and it seems to be
    doing very well, even though one of my daughters attacked it with a magnet.
    It's the same daughter that hit another computer with a water balloon...
    Gotta love them kids.

    As to your question about refresh rates, I believe the rule of thumb is a
    minimum of 60 Hz. Anything lower causes eyestrain and headaches in
    prolonged usage.

    The best info I have found online is usually through PC World magazine.
    They are kind of like the consumer reports of the pc industry. Here's the
    latest list they have on monitors...
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/index/0,00.asp and here is the direct link
    to 19" monitors...
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,112473,00.asp. They also have
    listing for 15", 17", LCD, etc... so happy purusing!

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Tom MacIntyre

    EDI Guest

    You probably have used a manual switch, try using an electronic KVM switch.

    Edi

    "SBFan2000" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I found out that part of my problem is a recently installed data switch

    for
    > sharing my monitor with two PCs. When plugged into the switch I get focus
    > problems and items on the screen have an "echo" behind them. Is there a

    way

    EDI, Jan 28, 2004