Re: Modem Woes

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by AG, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. AG

    AG Guest

    "Sujay L. Nazareth" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Everyone:
    >
    > Maybe someone has seen the following problem and offer advice on the same.
    >
    > Have a client with a 1.7 Ghz Celeron. MSI Motherboard. Onboard A/V/L . 256
    > DDR RAM. 56K Lucent Modem & Windows XP Pro.
    >
    > Client is having an issue with no dial tone. Line is fine. No Splitter
    > involved. Phone Cable is fine too. Used different jacks at the client's

    site
    > and now in my own office and problem persists. Attempted to get it to dial
    > without waiting for dial tone, can hear the modem making the sounds like

    it'
    > s dialing, but it does not actually use the line, just making the sounds.
    > Replaced the Modem with and ESS and USR modem and same problem. Did a wipe
    > and reload to see if there was an issue with the OS, and the problem
    > persists.
    >
    > Now I have not seen this before. Possible Motherboard problem? Tried to
    > re-sit the card in a different PCI slot but that did not work. I did

    connect
    > a phone into the phone jack of the modem and the line is working. I am at

    > loss here..
    >
    > If anyone can help that would be much appreciated!
    >
    > Please contact me by e-mail at : (Removing the
    > obvious of course) or reply here....
    >
    > Thanks!

    Ok how about using a phone wire tester. It's a little device that you can
    get from a hardware store. It costs about $3.00 or so. It has an idiot
    light,not saying you are one, that's just what it's called, that is green
    for good line, red for crossed polarity and no light for no power. Sounds
    like to me that it's crossed polarity. Many modems won't connect when
    polarity is wrong and most phones will work.
    AG
    AG, Dec 22, 2003

  2. AG

    David Hough Guest

    Sujay, If you have a tip and ring reversal, only an old rotary dial
    phone will work. I haven't seen one of those for a while. A touchtone
    phone will not work with them reversed
    David Hough, Dec 23, 2003

  3. AG

    John Coode Guest

    You can record a log of the modem's activity which
    may give you a clue about what is happening. Look
    up "Log and view modem commands" in Help and
    Support.
    John
    John Coode, Dec 23, 2003
  4. AG

    natural_4u Guest

    Sujay,

    Dave Smith might have something. You need to find out which COM port is
    being used. You need to change it ! This should take care of the issue. Your
    client must have been playing with the settings or something they were doing
    had changed the settings. There are several COM ports that you can try....
    when you change it try to dial out.... keep trying til you through... one of
    those port should work... ok?!
    natural_4u, Dec 23, 2003
  5. AG

    AG Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > My tester shows that the polarity is reversed (red light) at
    > the jack (very common), goes into my switch box and comes out
    > green. If I plug in the cable I made with the red and green wires
    > reversed on one end from normal, the tester shows that that it
    > comes out of the switch box reversed (red light). I guess that
    > proves that the switch box doesn't auto sense and correct the
    > polarity but simple switches it from jack in to jack out.

    It really depends on the modem. I've found some that just wouldn't work
    with. One customer in particular had a new line run to their computer and
    it wouldn't work with the ISP that I work at. I went out and plugged in my
    tester and told them what the problem was. After the phone guy came out and
    corrected the problem it worked fine.
    BTW it worked fine with my old 33.6 external modem on the same line. I love
    that old thing. I can plug it into any computer with a serial port and it
    will auto detect and let me check to see if there is a software problem.

    AG

    AG, Dec 30, 2003