Re: Modem Woes

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by mhaase-at-springmind.com, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:17:50 -0800, "Sujay L. Nazareth"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello Everyone:
    >
    >Maybe someone has seen the following problem and offer advice on the same.
    >
    >Have a client with a 1.7 Ghz Celeron. MSI Motherboard. Onboard A/V/L . 256
    >DDR RAM. 56K Lucent Modem & Windows XP Pro.
    >
    >Client is having an issue with no dial tone. Line is fine. No Splitter
    >involved. Phone Cable is fine too. Used different jacks at the client's site
    >and now in my own office and problem persists. Attempted to get it to dial
    >without waiting for dial tone, can hear the modem making the sounds like it'
    >s dialing, but it does not actually use the line, just making the sounds.
    >Replaced the Modem with and ESS and USR modem and same problem. Did a wipe
    >and reload to see if there was an issue with the OS, and the problem
    >persists.
    >
    >Now I have not seen this before. Possible Motherboard problem? Tried to
    >re-sit the card in a different PCI slot but that did not work. I did connect
    >a phone into the phone jack of the modem and the line is working. I am at a
    >loss here..
    >
    >If anyone can help that would be much appreciated!
    >
    >Please contact me by e-mail at : (Removing the
    >obvious of course) or reply here....
    >
    >Thanks!

    Just so I can be sure what you're saying here...you've replaced the
    modem with a known good one and the problem persists?

    And you've completely wiped the HD and reinstalled Windows, and the
    problem Persists?

    And the Phone Jack is working?

    Only thing left is the phone cord/cable. Are you using the same one
    the cliient was using?

    I resisted 'till I couldn't take it anymore.

    (sigh) Address altered against Spam.

    Replace the -at- and put the "spring-mind" in the correct order
    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Dec 22, 2003

  2. On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:50:41 -0800, "Sujay L. Nazareth"
    <> wrote:

    >"mhaase-at-springmind.com" <mhaase-at-springmind.com@> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:17:50 -0800, "Sujay L. Nazareth"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hello Everyone:
    >> >
    >> >Maybe someone has seen the following problem and offer advice on the

    >same.
    >> >
    >> >Have a client with a 1.7 Ghz Celeron. MSI Motherboard. Onboard A/V/L .

    >256
    >> >DDR RAM. 56K Lucent Modem & Windows XP Pro.
    >> >
    >> >Client is having an issue with no dial tone. Line is fine. No Splitter
    >> >involved. Phone Cable is fine too. Used different jacks at the client's

    >site
    >> >and now in my own office and problem persists. Attempted to get it to

    >dial
    >> >without waiting for dial tone, can hear the modem making the sounds like

    >it'
    >> >s dialing, but it does not actually use the line, just making the sounds.
    >> >Replaced the Modem with and ESS and USR modem and same problem. Did a

    >wipe
    >> >and reload to see if there was an issue with the OS, and the problem
    >> >persists.
    >> >
    >> >Now I have not seen this before. Possible Motherboard problem? Tried to
    >> >re-sit the card in a different PCI slot but that did not work. I did

    >connect
    >> >a phone into the phone jack of the modem and the line is working. I am at

    >> >loss here..
    >> >
    >> >If anyone can help that would be much appreciated!
    >> >
    >> >Please contact me by e-mail at : (Removing the
    >> >obvious of course) or reply here....
    >> >
    >> >Thanks!

    >> Just so I can be sure what you're saying here...you've replaced the
    >> modem with a known good one and the problem persists?
    >>
    >> And you've completely wiped the HD and reinstalled Windows, and the
    >> problem Persists?
    >>
    >> And the Phone Jack is working?
    >>
    >> Only thing left is the phone cord/cable. Are you using the same one
    >> the cliient was using?

    >Yes to all and I am using a seperate cord to that one at the
    >client's site, which works fine with my desktop and laptop....

    Well I have never seen a defective MB cause a problem like this...but
    I suppose there's always a first <g>.

    These are standard analog phone lines (not digital)?

    Have you tried dialing via Hyperterminal? Go to Start | Accesories |
    Communications and you should find it (unless you didn't inrtall it).
    Open it up (hit "escape" at the opening screen where it may want you
    to "name the connection", and type:

    AT DT 555-1212

    let us know what happens there.

    I'd also be curious to see what happens if you have an external modem
    you can try via a serial port.

    Is it possible you're getting some kind of Address or IRQ conflict?
    (although since it will make dialing noises, that seems unlikely).

    Other basic questions/assumptions:

    You have the correct Drivers?

    You're 100% positive you're using the correct jack on the modem?
    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Dec 22, 2003