Re: Modem Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by G. Morgan, May 14, 2010.

  1. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    "TruDatMoFo" <> wrote:

    >My Hp computer has a Motorola SM56 Modem and all of a sudden overnight it
    >won't connect to the internet. All I get is the following message: 'Loop
    >current too high, please close the application and check the telephone line
    >connection.' I do that and check the phone line and everything seems fine.
    >The computer I'm on now is on the same telephone line and it connects just
    >fine. So maybe the modem blew out someway overnight? Any help would be much
    >appreciated.

    Do you have a *real* analog telco line, or something else like a VOIP adapter?
    (from your cable company etc...)

    Use a multi meter to check line voltage, on hook should be about 48v-52v.

    Also, open Hyperterminal, or download "Putty" and issue the command AT&V2 (make
    sure you use the right comm port), then post the results here.

    Look here: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/12655/ENG/Motorola.htm

    " Get An Error Message "Telephone signal not detected, please check connection "

    1. Ensure that the telephone cable is securely connected at both ends.

    2. Ensure the telephone cable is plugged into the correct jack on the modem --
    some modems provide a second jack for handset support.

    3. Unplug the telephone line cable from the computer, and connect it directly
    to a telephone from the wall outlet. Check for a dial tone. If there is none,
    the problem is in the telephone line or system. Call the service provider.

    G. Morgan, May 14, 2010

  2. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    G. Morgan <> wrote:

    >Look here: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/12655/ENG/Motorola.htm

    wrong one, here it is:

    "Get An Error Message “Loop current too high, please close the application and
    check the telephone line connection”

    When you try to dial a connection an error message box pops up, indicating that
    you are not connected to a proper analog phone line. This is the SM56 digital
    line guard feature, which protects against hardware damage if the modem is
    plugged into a high current phone outlet -- such as a digital phone jack. The
    modem automatically detects the over-current and goes back on-hook before
    hardware damage occurs. Check the phone outlet and make sure that it is a real
    analog phone line. Try another analog phone jack."

    G. Morgan, May 14, 2010