Re: Modem Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, May 14, 2010.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "TruDatMoFo" <> wrote in

    > My Hp computer has a Motorola SM56 Modem and all of a sudden overnight
    > it won't connect to the internet. All I get is the following message:
    > 'Loop current too high, please close the application and check the
    > telephone line connection.' I do that and check the phone line and
    > everything seems fine. The computer I'm on now is on the same
    > telephone line and it connects just fine. So maybe the modem blew out
    > someway overnight? Any help would be much appreciated.

    You might try a) removing any splitters in the line and using just *one*
    device (phone or modem) per jack. b) shortening any phone cords so
    they're all less than 10'. Try having your modem dial someone else whose
    computer's modem is set to auto answer. *With* asking them beforehand of
    course. You might also try removing the modem from device manager and
    restarting - in case the driver is corrupted. There might also be another
    device in device manager for the modem. They're commonly called an
    "enumerator" and it will have the modem name in it's name. Removing the
    serial ports (under ports) is also justified.

    You don't mention your operating system, so I'm assuming you're using either
    Vista or XP.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307970

    Follow steps 1 and 2 under "Manually Configure Devices By Using Device Manager"
    to get to device manager. Do *not* follow any further steps in this link, but
    do tell us if you have any red or yellow markings on any devices listed there.
    Also make sure it's set to "show devices by type" and *not* by connection.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, May 14, 2010

  2. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 14 May 2010 16:28:27 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>You don't mention your operating system, so I'm assuming you're using
    >>either Vista or XP.

    > Does it matter?
    >
    > Go away chucktard, the OP already has much better advice then you're
    > qualified to give.

    So says the completely unqualfied photographer. Riight.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, May 14, 2010