Re: modem problem?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by cajones, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. cajones

    cajones Guest

    "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message

    > "cajones" <> wrote in message
    > > For a few days now I can only access website for a couple of minutes and
    > > then I am unable to access any more while the icon still turn as it

    looks
    > > for the site requested. *But* I can still download email and posts to
    > > usenet?
    > > Each time I reboot I can access 2-3 sites then the modem stops

    downloading
    > > even though I am still connected.
    > > Have changed out the modem ( still same prob) and the memory chip (

    128meg
    > > stick pc133).
    > >
    > > The system crashes when I play games or anything intensive also, but

    find
    > it
    > > hard to relate to my browsing problem. All my security settings have

    been
    > > checked.
    > > I am using a Hewlett Packard 500mhz, win 98, OE6.
    > >
    > > My local help desk reckons I needed a firmware update ( yeah right- they
    > > would ) but trying another modem discounted that advice.

    > Hey Caj. Sorry, can't help you with your problem but you've come to the
    > right place( nz.comp). There are some on-to-it people here.
    >
    > I actually did have a problem similar to this before and I found deleting
    > the connection and setting it up again fixed it. I think, in Win 98, it's

    in
    > control panel - ? (Dial-up connections or something similar, I'm not
    > running 98 anymore). I just deleted 'xtra' and then re-set it up with the
    > usual settings. You know, 087 303030 (or, 087 303032 seems to work better
    > with some modems) as the number, that sort of thing. Might be worth a try.
    >
    > Just thought I'd say 'Hi' as I've never seen you here before.
    >
    > Cheers mate.
    > --
    > ~misfit~
    >

    > ---

    Hiya Sh*** LTN hear. Seldom on 'puter nowadays but the 'War in Iraq' is the
    best show in town esp. with the death of 'greasy & qeasy' Hussein. Just
    cannot fathom why only email downloading and not internet sites, bothersome.
    I need another HD so I can do a complete new install as I have 5 years worth
    of irreplaceable 'life' on it.

    Later

    cajones, Sep 6, 2003