Re: modem problem?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mainlander, Aug 30, 2003.

  1. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bipjkr$c0rqf$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > For a few days now I can only access website for a couple of minutes and
    > then I am unable to access any more while the icon still turn as it looks
    > for the site requested. *But* I can still download email and posts to
    > usenet?
    > Each time I reboot I can access 2-3 sites then the modem stops downloading
    > even though I am still connected.
    > Have changed out the modem ( still same prob) and the memory chip ( 128meg
    > stick pc133).
    >
    > The system crashes when I play games or anything intensive also, but find it
    > hard to relate to my browsing problem. All my security settings have been
    > checked.
    > I am using a Hewlett Packard 500mhz, win 98, OE6.
    >
    > My local help desk reckons I needed a firmware update ( yeah right- they
    > would ) but trying another modem discounted that advice.

    Could also be something in Windows that locks up TCP/IP access, I used to
    get an error that something in the Ras services had conked out, at any
    rate restarting Windows fixed it every time.

    Mainlander, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Mainlander

    cajones Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <bipjkr$c0rqf$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    > > For a few days now I can only access website for a couple of minutes and
    > > then I am unable to access any more while the icon still turn as it

    looks
    > > for the site requested. *But* I can still download email and posts to
    > > usenet?
    > > Each time I reboot I can access 2-3 sites then the modem stops

    downloading
    > > even though I am still connected.
    > > Have changed out the modem ( still same prob) and the memory chip (

    128meg
    > > stick pc133).
    > >
    > > The system crashes when I play games or anything intensive also, but

    find it
    > > hard to relate to my browsing problem. All my security settings have

    been
    > > checked.
    > > I am using a Hewlett Packard 500mhz, win 98, OE6.
    > >
    > > My local help desk reckons I needed a firmware update ( yeah right- they
    > > would ) but trying another modem discounted that advice.

    > Could also be something in Windows that locks up TCP/IP access, I used to
    > get an error that something in the Ras services had conked out, at any
    > rate restarting Windows fixed it every time.

    Rebooting windows lets me access 2-3 pages worth of internet sites( 12meg
    approx.) and then nothing. Still get email and newsgroups though.

    cajones, Sep 6, 2003