Re: MN-700 firmware update

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Jul 30, 2004.

  1. You only need the wired connection for a short time while doing the
    upgrade. Then you can go back to being totally wireless. Use one of
    the laptops and connect it to the base station with wired Ethernet. Do
    the upgrade, then go back to wireless.

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:09:03 -0700, "Dave Runyan" <Dave

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist
    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Jul 30, 2004

  2. Barb, thanks, this good news, but I am still unsure about the process, since I have not gone through it yet, even the "normal" way. Will the update download as an .exe or what? Do I shutdown the other computers when I do the install? Will the base station install not "see" a setup config that is not my "real" network configuration?

    Dave Runyan

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBSdW55YW4=?=, Jul 30, 2004

  3. Another question about this, Barb. I'm not sure I understand how to "temporarily" establish an ethernet connection between my laptop and the base station. Other than plugging in the cable, that is... ;-)

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBSdW55YW4=?=, Jul 31, 2004
  4. you should not have to shut down the other computers when updating the
    base station. It is an exe that you run and it will detect and update
    components. Yes, you have to temporarily connect your laptop via a
    wired connection to the base station instead of wireless.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist
    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Jul 31, 2004
  5. Yes, you meed to plug the cable into the laptop and into the base
    station. I guess I don't understand why it is so difficult to move a
    laptop which is a portable machine by definition next to the base
    station for the 3 minutes requires to do this update. You should not
    have to reconfigure anything, it should "just work".

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist
    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Jul 31, 2004
  6. My concern was not about moving the laptop- my question was if I had to configure a network connection or just plug in the cable. You answered that in your last sentence- thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBSdW55YW4=?=, Jul 31, 2004
  7. Unfortunately, simply connecting the ethernet cable and running the update did not work. I got the message "The MN-700 Base Station cannot be updated wirelessly. Please connect an ethernet cable... etc." It looks like I do have to establish a network connection somehow prior to applying the update.

    Should I use the "create new network connection" dialog?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBSdW55YW4=?=, Jul 31, 2004
  8. Connected the laptop and the base station with an ethernet cable. Ran the update wizard. Got the error message "MN-700 cannot be updated wirelessly, please connect an ethernet cable...".

    Should I go to the "create new network connection" dialog and try to create a connection? Any specific tips on doing that?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBSdW55YW4=?=, Jul 31, 2004
  9. Pardon the multiple posts - I got an error message when I first posted that the post had not succeeded, but evidently it did.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBSdW55YW4=?=, Jul 31, 2004
  10. You should remove/unplug the wireless card. The to be safe, select Run
    from the Start menu, then type in
    cmd [enter]
    then type in
    ipconfig/renew

    you should see the wired adapter receive an IP

    you should then be able to update the MN700

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist
    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Jul 31, 2004
  11. SUCCESS - thanks for your assistance.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBSdW55YW4=?=, Jul 31, 2004