Re: Misty-Eyed PCs

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by TBerk, Jun 9, 2008.

  1. TBerk

    TBerk Guest

    On May 19, 5:13 pm, Dave Hardenbrook <> wrote:
    > A client asked me a question I'm ashamed to say I couldn't answer for
    > certain: You know those little hand-held fans (the kind that cool
    > people, not CPUs) that try to cool you even more by spraying a light
    > mist? Are those little mist-fans safe to use near your PC? In other
    > words, do these fans produce enough mist that if some fell onto the
    > keyboard, mouse, monitor, or even the system itself, could it do harm?
    >
    > Any opinions would appreciated. Thanks!
    >
    > Dave

    As Wapo said, it is not the warm moist air in and or itself that is a
    problem.

    What could be a problem might be if:

    - The water collects to form drops, a sizable amount of water by
    electrical standards.

    - If , after you turn it off (it cools down) and/or the temp changes
    to allow condensation inside the computer or components then again you
    have trouble a'brewin.

    - Another thing to consider is water by itself can be relatively
    harmless but other things the water transports or has dissolved it it
    can be a great deal of trouble. Salt, acids, etc can start out minor
    in amount but over time, and with evaporation and accumulation, lead
    to some pretty nasty and corrosive products.

    Remember they last time you opened an old computer for the 1st time
    and it was chock full of dust and dander?

    Now add water.

    TBerk
    TBerk, Jun 9, 2008