Re: Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by SpeckledLemon, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. "bigthinker" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm not quite sure how it happened, but my computer is no longer
    > bootable. I used a boot disk but it wouldn't boot into windows xp. It
    > said "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt" (not word for word). I know
    > I need to copy the file from the setup disk using the recovery
    > console, but I don't know how. I also don't know how to login as
    > administrator using the recovery console, so I can't copy the file
    > over. I desperately need help, because there are some extremely
    > important files I need to get.

    Hmmmm....perhaps you could try to hook the hard drive up as a slave to
    another
    computer if you have one.....and if you don't, you could try to boot off the
    Windows XP CD and
    try to repai the installation.....my 2 cents worth.

    SpeckledLemon, Jul 25, 2003

  2. SpeckledLemon

    Opranks612 Guest

    > Hmmmm....perhaps you could try to hook the hard drive up as a slave to
    > another
    > computer if you have one.....and if you don't, you could try to boot off the
    > Windows XP CD and
    > try to repai the installation.....my 2 cents worth.

    The xp cd won't autorepair, and I can't get the copy command to work
    because I can't figure out how to logon as administrator under the
    recovery console. Booting from another hard drive is a good idea
    though, especially if I can get an xp one so I can copy the file
    easily. Only problem is that the only other hard drive I have is a
    linux one that's 4 times smaller than the amount of data on my xp one,
    and linux doesn't have write privledges for ntfs partitions.

    Opranks612, Jul 25, 2003

  3. SpeckledLemon

    Michael-NC Guest

    If your data is as valuable as you say it is, go buy the proper-sized hard
    drive and install XP on it while slaving your old drive to it.

    Then disable simple file sharing and take ownership of the files you want.
    Remember to back up "extremely important files," they are never safe on a
    hard disc...

    Michael-NC, Jul 26, 2003
  4. SpeckledLemon

    bigthinker Guest

    My problem with transferring it to a new hard drive is that I'm always
    broke, or else I'd try it.

    bigthinker, Jul 26, 2003
  5. SpeckledLemon

    Michael-NC Guest

    You don't need a drive big enough to hold your data, just a drive big
    enough to get XP installed. Once you take ownership of the files on
    slave drive, find a way to back them up to CD.

    You can get a 20GB drive for less than 45.00 new or a used, smaller
    drive for 25.00.

    An older 20x10x40 CD-RW drive will set you back 31.00.

    Once you get your files backed up, reinstall XP on your original drive.

    Michael-NC, Jul 26, 2003
  6. SpeckledLemon

    snake11088

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    saving your ntoskrnl.exe from death. or raising your harddrive from the dead.

    A solution to this problem could be that you can find another ntoskrnl somewhere else (if you don't have a cd for xp) by searching for bootscreens on the net. this is not recomended, but only use this as a last resort. You'll need another cpu or a harddrive w/ a working os to fix this!!

    If the problem occurred while tring to install a custom bootscreen, you must first backup your original ntsokrnl.exe in case if anything goes wrong. Customizing your bootscreens is NOT recomended and is more likely to screw up your entire system. Trust me, I know from experience.:!:

    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
    snake11088, Mar 13, 2008
  7. SpeckledLemon

    Mileswang

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Maybe it's the problem of your cd driver,similer things have happend on my computer,i borrowed a cd driver,and got it.

    Mileswang, Mar 14, 2008