Re: Mispronunciation problem...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Miggsee, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Miggsee

    Miggsee Guest

    A colleague pronounced applet as "apple-t".
    <boggle>

    "He who doth Slump a lot" <> wrote in message
    > OK, so I know a guy who is one of those who insists he is an expert on
    > everything, but he insists on saying Jigabyte, which I understand is
    > acceptable, but bloody irritating nonetheless.
    >
    > My problem is that having worked with my brother a lot over the years, and
    > have used most woodworking machinery, I cannot stop calling a router a
    > /rowter/. It says /rowter/ when I read it, and it annoys the Hell out of

    me

    Miggsee, Jun 23, 2003

  2. Miggsee

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:

    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as Miggsee continued:
    >
    >> A colleague pronounced applet as "apple-t".
    >> <boggle>

    > Excellent !!
    >
    > /adds to moron list

    Q. Why is a sidan chair called a sidan chair?
    A. Cos ya sidan in it.
    ;-)
    Sorry, blame the hangover.

    Brian H¹©, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Miggsee

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹© continued:

    > Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:

    >> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Miggsee
    >> continued:
    >>
    >>> A colleague pronounced applet as "apple-t".
    >>> <boggle>

    >> Excellent !!
    >>
    >> /adds to moron list

    > Q. Why is a sidan chair called a sidan chair?
    > A. Cos ya sidan in it.
    > ;-)
    > Sorry, blame the hangover.

    Did you mean 'sedan' ?
    ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    Slumpy, Jun 23, 2003
  4. Miggsee

    Boomer Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in

    > Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:
    >
    >> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't
    >> you ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Brian H¹©
    >> continued:

    >>> Q. Why is a sidan chair called a sidan chair?
    >>> A. Cos ya sidan in it.
    >>> ;-)
    >>> Sorry, blame the hangover.

    >> Did you mean 'sedan' ?
    >> ;-)

    > Yes, that's the one, I'm seeing double at the moment :p

    Then make that, 'seedann'. ;o)

    Boomer, Jun 23, 2003
  5. Miggsee

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Boomer continued:

    >>> Did you mean 'sedan' ?
    >>> ;-)

    >> Yes, that's the one, I'm seeing double at the moment :p
    >>

    > Then make that, 'seedann'. ;o)

    lol
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    Slumpy, Jun 23, 2003
  6. Miggsee

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Robert Schumacher continued:

    > "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    >> "DaveG" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> That is not funny.
    >>> That,is abysmal,I contend.

    >> I totally agree. LOL! She had taught computer concepts in an Apple
    >> lab for years. She's actually an excellent computer concepts teacher!

    > The other day I was up at my submarine squadron's engineering office,
    > and the chiefs and officers up there have a board dedicated to word
    > butchery such as that. Mainly the entries are from words
    > butchered/created in the office, though President Bush (Dubya) gets a
    > nod with "stategerey". The Navy has a huge market in slaughtering
    > the English language.

    Reminds me of a mate from years back who could never say the word
    'trajectory', especially when totally mashed. Always sounds like 'Chachechy'
    but he *was* from Blackburn so he had an excuse ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    Slumpy, Jun 23, 2003
  7. Miggsee

    Miggsee Guest

    "Robert Schumacher" <> wrote in message

    > "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    > > "DaveG" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    > > > >

    > > > That is not funny.
    > > > That,is abysmal,I contend.

    > > I totally agree. LOL! She had taught computer concepts in an Apple lab

    for
    > > years. She's actually an excellent computer concepts teacher!

    > The other day I was up at my submarine squadron's engineering office, and

    the
    > chiefs and officers up there have a board dedicated to word butchery such

    as
    > that. Mainly the entries are from words butchered/created in the office,

    though
    > President Bush (Dubya) gets a nod with "stategerey". The Navy has a huge

    market
    > in slaughtering the English language.

    Scary! I just sent my almost son-in-law, and his brother (from the Naval
    Academy) off to Naval flight training. You mean he's going to meet idiots?
    <BEG>

    Miggsee, Jun 24, 2003
  8. "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    > "Robert Schumacher" <> wrote in message

    <snip>
    > > President Bush (Dubya) gets a nod with "stategerey". The Navy has a huge

    > market
    > > in slaughtering the English language.

    > Scary! I just sent my almost son-in-law, and his brother (from the Naval
    > Academy) off to Naval flight training. You mean he's going to meet idiots?
    > <BEG>

    You betcha! :) We call the worst of 'em "surface Navy"!

    (Yes, I'm in submarines...doesn't it show?)

    --
    Robert Schumacher
    http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schumachersforum

    Robert Schumacher, Jun 24, 2003
  9. "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    > "Robert Schumacher" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Robert Schumacher" <> wrote in message

    > > <snip>

    > huge
    > > > market
    > > >
    > > > Scary! I just sent my almost son-in-law, and his brother (from the Naval
    > > > Academy) off to Naval flight training. You mean he's going to meet

    > idiots?
    > > > <BEG>

    > > You betcha! :) We call the worst of 'em "surface Navy"!
    > >
    > > (Yes, I'm in submarines...doesn't it show?)

    > My brother was a submariner! :) My "kids" will prevail! :)

    If your "kids" are skimmers...well, they make good target practice :)

    Where was your brother stationed? I'm in Pearl Harbor (second sea tour, did
    shore duty here too...)

    Robert Schumacher, Jun 24, 2003
  10. Miggsee

    > "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    > > "Robert Schumacher" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    > > > <snip>

    > > huge

    Naval

    > > idiots?
    > > >
    > > > You betcha! :) We call the worst of 'em "surface Navy"!
    > > >
    > > > (Yes, I'm in submarines...doesn't it show?)

    > > My brother was a submariner! :) My "kids" will prevail! :)
    > >

    > If your "kids" are skimmers...well, they make good target practice :)
    >
    > Where was your brother stationed? I'm in Pearl Harbor (second sea tour,

    did
    > shore duty here too..

    Pearl Harbor, eh? Life can be sweet! My brother is much older than I, and I
    do not remember where he was stationed due to the fact that I was a tyke
    back then. I believe that the type of submarine he was on was called
    something to the sort of a sewer bucket <G>....although it was nuclear. He
    is about 55 now, and has made an excellent life out of the training he
    received in the Navy.
    What are skimmers? The young men I refer to are the product of a Navy
    family. Dad achieved the highest ranking an enlisted man can achieve (Master
    something?), and Mom was a Captain. It was fun to be at the sons'
    Commissionings, and watch her get saluted! I have an excellent picture of th
    e 4 of them in uniforms. My daughter is lucky!

    Miggsee, Jun 24, 2003