Re: Mispronunciation problem...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    It can be pronounced both ways - 'G'igabyte, or 'J'igabyte.
    http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?gigabyte
    http://cheetah.eb.com/sound/g/gigaby01.wav
    http://cheetah.eb.com/sound/g/gigaby02.wav

    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gigabyte

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:00:13 +0100, in
    <bd4ub3$p369k$>
    He who doth Slump a lot scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 22, 2003

  2. "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
    threw back my head and roared with laughter as °Mike° continued:

    > It can be pronounced both ways - 'G'igabyte, or 'J'igabyte.

    So I have been told, but when *everyone* says GIG it does sound kinda
    stoopid to say JIG.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    He who doth Slump a lot, Jun 22, 2003

  3. °Mike°

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as °Mike° continued:

    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:51:55 +0100, in
    > <bd51o1$otdg0$>
    > He who doth Slump a lot scrawled:

    >> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as °Mike° continued:
    >>
    >>> It can be pronounced both ways - 'G'igabyte, or 'J'igabyte.

    >> So I have been told, but when *everyone* says GIG

    > They do?
    >
    >> it does sound kinda stoopid to say JIG.

    I have only ever come across this one guy who says it - otherwise it
    wouldn't sound so bloody funny.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    Slumpy, Jun 22, 2003
  4. °Mike°

    ilmc Guest

    °Mike° typed:
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:10:10 +0100, in
    > <bd52e9$or8p9$>
    > Slumpy scrawled:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> I have only ever come across this one guy who says it - otherwise
    >> it wouldn't sound so bloody funny.

    > I'd wager that the opposite is true over the other side of
    > the pond.

    It's all relative
    :)
    ilmc, Jun 22, 2003
  5. °Mike°

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:

    > °Mike° typed:
    >> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:10:10 +0100, in
    >> <bd52e9$or8p9$>
    >> Slumpy scrawled:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> I have only ever come across this one guy who says it - otherwise
    >>> it wouldn't sound so bloody funny.

    >> I'd wager that the opposite is true over the other side of
    >> the pond.

    > It's all relative
    > :)

    No, my brother says GIG ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    Slumpy, Jun 22, 2003
  6. °Mike°

    ilmc Guest

    Slumpy typed:
    > I threw back my head and roared with laughter as ilmc continued:

    >> °Mike° typed:
    >>> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:10:10 +0100, in
    >>> <bd52e9$or8p9$>
    >>> Slumpy scrawled:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>

    >>> I'd wager that the opposite is true over the other side of
    >>> the pond.

    >> It's all relative
    >> :)

    > No, my brother says GIG ;-)

    ROTFL
    ilmc, Jun 22, 2003
  7. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:40:15 +0100, in
    <OuoJa.1963$>
    ilmc scrawled:

    >°Mike° typed:
    >> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:10:10 +0100, in
    >> <bd52e9$or8p9$>
    >> Slumpy scrawled:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> I have only ever come across this one guy who says it - otherwise
    >>> it wouldn't sound so bloody funny.

    >> I'd wager that the opposite is true over the other side of
    >> the pond.

    >It's all relative
    >:)

    E=Mc^5... nahhh...E=Mc^3... nahh...E=Mc^4... oh, shit to it!

    --
    "This is off-center."
    °Mike°, Jun 22, 2003
  8. "Slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as °Mike° continued:
    >
    > > On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:51:55 +0100, in
    > > <bd51o1$otdg0$>
    > > He who doth Slump a lot scrawled:
    > >
    > >> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you
    > >> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as °Mike° continued:

    > >> So I have been told, but when *everyone* says GIG

    How about this "I will go and play a GIG"

    > > They do?
    > >
    > >> it does sound kinda stoopid to say JIG.

    And "I can dance a JIG"

    «{\\/}ú[}ßð/\\/è», Jun 22, 2003
  9. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:20:23 GMT, in
    <HYpJa.16917$>
    bb3 scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:10:10 +0100, in
    >> <bd52e9$or8p9$>
    >> Slumpy scrawled:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> >I have only ever come across this one guy who says it - otherwise
    >> >it wouldn't sound so bloody funny.

    >> I'd wager that the opposite is true over the other side of
    >> the pond.
    >>

    >I've never heard "Jig" here in the colonies.

    What, not even a 'good ol' Oirish jig'?

    --
    "The Welsh dw ytt wyttht ysngg vwls."

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 22, 2003
  10. °Mike°

    bb3 Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:20:23 GMT, in
    > <HYpJa.16917$>
    > bb3 scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:10:10 +0100, in
    > >> <bd52e9$or8p9$>
    > >> Slumpy scrawled:
    > >>
    > >> <snip>

    > >> I'd wager that the opposite is true over the other side of
    > >> the pond.
    > >>

    > >I've never heard "Jig" here in the colonies.

    > What, not even a 'good ol' Oirish jig'?
    >
    > --
    > "The Welsh dw ytt wyttht ysngg vwls."
    >
    > --
    > STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    Actually, just as I hit ctrl+enter, I thought "I should have written 'as it
    relates to Gigabyte'".

    Heard it many times while fishing..."jigging for Walleye".
    bb3, Jun 22, 2003