Re: ~misfit~ crashes his computer.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Aug 9, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Angel of Paradise.." typed:
    > On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 18:55:52 +1200 Brian Mathews
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> It turns out his Kill files was bigger than his hard drive..
    >>
    >> Me thinks this person has problems, as all he quotes is how many
    >> people he kill files.
    >>
    >> May be he should be reported to the Police for murder..
    >>
    >> May be he should wake up and smell the roses..

    > Thanks Brian your posts can be very helpful, not like the Juveniles
    > in this news group, do what I did, stick them all in a Kill file,
    > mine is very large now..
    >
    > Then you don't have to here all these rants and raves, I wonder what
    > the world thinks of this news group, not a very good image of New
    > Zealand..

    LOL! I really seem to attract stalkers wherever I go. Another fan thread!

    Another one to archive. <g> I have quite a collection now.

    Jealousy is an ugly thing when it's paraded in public like this.

    Oh, I've just ordered a new CPU for my computer. An E7300. It has a
    multiplier of 10x and is a 45nm dual-core part so I'm hoping to run it on a
    400MHz bus, synchronously with my DDR2-800 RAM for a CPU speed of 4GHz. My
    mobo will do 400MHz easilly, it's running at 414MHz at the moment (1,656 FSB
    in Intel-speak.)

    I won't eat anything other than porridge for at least the rest of the month
    but it's the price I pay for my hardware addiction.

    Take care Rogers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 9, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Murray Symon" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Angel of Paradise.." typed:

    >>> Thanks Brian your posts can be very helpful, not like the Juveniles
    >>> in this news group, do what I did, stick them all in a Kill file,
    >>> mine is very large now..
    >>>
    >>> Then you don't have to here all these rants and raves, I wonder what
    >>> the world thinks of this news group, not a very good image of New
    >>> Zealand..

    >> LOL! I really seem to attract stalkers wherever I go. Another fan
    >> thread!
    >>
    >> Another one to archive. <g> I have quite a collection now.
    >>
    >> Jealousy is an ugly thing when it's paraded in public like this.
    >>
    >> Oh, I've just ordered a new CPU for my computer. An E7300. It has a
    >> multiplier of 10x and is a 45nm dual-core part so I'm hoping to run
    >> it on a 400MHz bus, synchronously with my DDR2-800 RAM for a CPU
    >> speed of 4GHz. My mobo will do 400MHz easilly, it's running at
    >> 414MHz at the moment (1,656 FSB in Intel-speak.)
    >>
    >> I won't eat anything other than porridge for at least the rest of the
    >> month but it's the price I pay for my hardware addiction.
    >>
    >> Take care Rogers,

    > Shaun,
    > It's concerning that every time you buy something significant you
    > seem to downgrade your diet. I know you're on a limited budget,
    > but surely there's not much further that you can go in this way?
    > What's the next step down from a diet of ONLY porridge for a
    > WHOLE month. ;-)
    > (ps. I don't fancy porridge much, myself).

    Thanks for the concern Murray, appreciated. :)

    Seriously though, it's pretty much my only vice, habit, hobby... I'm an
    overclocker. I don't smoke, drink very rarely, can't afford to go out (so I
    don't have issues with my anxiety disorder there, a bonus). I could list a
    whole bunch of things that I *don't* do that most people take for granted. I
    get my kicks from hardware in general, overclocking in particular.

    Actually it's a very cheap hobby/vice compared with most. It's good that's
    the case as I don't have money to spare. I've got enough pre-cooked
    mince/onions and poached chicken/chicken stock (t'was on special at P'n S)
    in meal base sized single serve portions in the freezer to last a few weeks
    or more for every second day. Also got a 10kg bag of spuds, ~50 packs of
    noodles (on special, again), a couple bags of rice and sundry pasta. I kept
    the fat from the chicken (schmaltz) after I'd poached it and taken the meat
    off the skin/bones and made stock. (With the dog getting what's left,
    nothing's wasted here.) With some chicken fat blended with olive oil and
    some stock I make a wicked cheap chicken rissotto. Oh, and half-a-dozen cans
    each of salmon/budget baked beans/tomatoes from when they were on special.
    All I need to buy for a few weeks are a few veges, some cheese/wholemeal
    bread to go with the 60kg of pickled onions I bottled last month and to keep
    my herbs/spices/sauces replenished as each gets low.

    50% of my diet is porridge I guess (and, as a matter of fact, I don't much
    like it either!) sometimes with whatever fruit's cheap cut into it. My GP
    prescribes me multivitamins and fibre.

    I can't wait to get my new CPU. Silly me, ordering on a Friday!

    Cheers, :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 9, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Murray Symon" <> wrote in message
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Angel of Paradise.." typed:

    >>> Thanks Brian your posts can be very helpful, not like the Juveniles
    >>> in this news group, do what I did, stick them all in a Kill file,
    >>> mine is very large now..
    >>>
    >>> Then you don't have to here all these rants and raves, I wonder what
    >>> the world thinks of this news group, not a very good image of New
    >>> Zealand..

    >> LOL! I really seem to attract stalkers wherever I go. Another fan thread!
    >>
    >> Another one to archive. <g> I have quite a collection now.
    >>
    >> Jealousy is an ugly thing when it's paraded in public like this.
    >>
    >> Oh, I've just ordered a new CPU for my computer. An E7300. It has a
    >> multiplier of 10x and is a 45nm dual-core part so I'm hoping to run it on
    >> a 400MHz bus, synchronously with my DDR2-800 RAM for a CPU speed of 4GHz.
    >> My mobo will do 400MHz easilly, it's running at 414MHz at the moment
    >> (1,656 FSB in Intel-speak.)
    >>
    >> I won't eat anything other than porridge for at least the rest of the
    >> month but it's the price I pay for my hardware addiction.
    >>
    >> Take care Rogers,

    > Shaun,
    > It's concerning that every time you buy something significant you
    > seem to downgrade your diet. I know you're on a limited budget,
    > but surely there's not much further that you can go in this way?
    > What's the next step down from a diet of ONLY porridge for a
    > WHOLE month. ;-)
    > (ps. I don't fancy porridge much, myself).
    >
    > Murray :)

    Shauns out in his garden digging for worms..
    Craig Sutton, Aug 9, 2008
  4. On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 20:23:29 +1200, Craig Sutton <>
    wrote in <news:g7jk1c$6q2$>:

    > "Murray Symon" <> wrote in message
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Angel of Paradise.." typed:

    >>> LOL! I really seem to attract stalkers wherever I go. Another fan thread!
    >>>
    >>> Another one to archive. <g> I have quite a collection now.
    >>>
    >>> Jealousy is an ugly thing when it's paraded in public like this.
    >>>
    >>> Oh, I've just ordered a new CPU for my computer. An E7300. It has a
    >>> multiplier of 10x and is a 45nm dual-core part so I'm hoping to run it on
    >>> a 400MHz bus, synchronously with my DDR2-800 RAM for a CPU speed of 4GHz.
    >>> My mobo will do 400MHz easilly, it's running at 414MHz at the moment
    >>> (1,656 FSB in Intel-speak.)
    >>>
    >>> I won't eat anything other than porridge for at least the rest of the
    >>> month but it's the price I pay for my hardware addiction.
    >>>
    >>> Take care Rogers,

    >> Shaun,
    >> It's concerning that every time you buy something significant you
    >> seem to downgrade your diet. I know you're on a limited budget,
    >> but surely there's not much further that you can go in this way?
    >> What's the next step down from a diet of ONLY porridge for a
    >> WHOLE month. ;-)
    >> (ps. I don't fancy porridge much, myself).
    >>
    >> Murray :)

    > Shauns out in his garden digging for worms..

    Then you had best start burrowing real deep, real fast.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 9, 2008
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Sutton" typed:
    > "Murray Symon" <> wrote in
    > message news:1218251117.709879@ftpsrv1...
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Angel of Paradise.." typed:

    >>> LOL! I really seem to attract stalkers wherever I go. Another fan
    >>> thread! Another one to archive. <g> I have quite a collection now.
    >>>
    >>> Jealousy is an ugly thing when it's paraded in public like this.
    >>>
    >>> Oh, I've just ordered a new CPU for my computer. An E7300. It has a
    >>> multiplier of 10x and is a 45nm dual-core part so I'm hoping to run
    >>> it on a 400MHz bus, synchronously with my DDR2-800 RAM for a CPU
    >>> speed of 4GHz. My mobo will do 400MHz easilly, it's running at
    >>> 414MHz at the moment (1,656 FSB in Intel-speak.)
    >>>
    >>> I won't eat anything other than porridge for at least the rest of
    >>> the month but it's the price I pay for my hardware addiction.
    >>>
    >>> Take care Rogers,

    >> Shaun,
    >> It's concerning that every time you buy something significant you
    >> seem to downgrade your diet. I know you're on a limited budget,
    >> but surely there's not much further that you can go in this way?
    >> What's the next step down from a diet of ONLY porridge for a
    >> WHOLE month. ;-)
    >> (ps. I don't fancy porridge much, myself).
    >>
    >> Murray :)

    > Shauns out in his garden digging for worms..

    LOL! Well, I *do* try to make the most of my garden, physical limitations
    notwithstanding. :)

    Anything for a new toy.....

    As I detailed in my reply to Murray, I exaggerate slightly. My cooking
    skills stand me in good stead, it's amazing what you can do with knowledge,
    a freezer and working the supermarket specials. I think it's more that,
    because I really don't like porridige much and it's more than 50% of the
    bulk of my diet, it sometimes seems to me that it's all that I eat. It does
    have it's advantages though, it makes a simple rissotto or a cheese and
    pickled onion sandwich taste like fillet steak!

    Anyway, who needs food when I've got a 45nm CPU on it's way? <rubs hands
    together gleefully>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 9, 2008
  6. ~misfit~

    Michael Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Sutton" typed:
    >> "Murray Symon" <> wrote in
    >> message news:1218251117.709879@ftpsrv1...

    >>> Shaun,
    >>> It's concerning that every time you buy something significant you
    >>> seem to downgrade your diet. I know you're on a limited budget,
    >>> but surely there's not much further that you can go in this way?
    >>> What's the next step down from a diet of ONLY porridge for a
    >>> WHOLE month. ;-)
    >>> (ps. I don't fancy porridge much, myself).
    >>>
    >>> Murray :)

    >> Shauns out in his garden digging for worms..

    > LOL! Well, I *do* try to make the most of my garden, physical limitations
    > notwithstanding. :)
    >
    > Anything for a new toy.....
    >
    > As I detailed in my reply to Murray, I exaggerate slightly. My cooking
    > skills stand me in good stead, it's amazing what you can do with
    > knowledge, a freezer and working the supermarket specials. I think it's
    > more that, because I really don't like porridige much and it's more than
    > 50% of the bulk of my diet, it sometimes seems to me that it's all that I
    > eat. It does have it's advantages though, it makes a simple rissotto or a
    > cheese and pickled onion sandwich taste like fillet steak!
    >
    > Anyway, who needs food when I've got a 45nm CPU on it's way? <rubs hands
    > together gleefully>

    Ah yes, it should make a tasty sandwich :)
    http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=248207

    Michael
    Michael, Aug 9, 2008
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Michael" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Sutton" typed:
    >>> "Murray Symon" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:1218251117.709879@ftpsrv1...

    >>> Shauns out in his garden digging for worms..

    >> LOL! Well, I *do* try to make the most of my garden, physical
    >> limitations notwithstanding. :)
    >>
    >> Anything for a new toy.....
    >>
    >> As I detailed in my reply to Murray, I exaggerate slightly. My
    >> cooking skills stand me in good stead, it's amazing what you can do
    >> with knowledge, a freezer and working the supermarket specials. I
    >> think it's more that, because I really don't like porridige much and
    >> it's more than 50% of the bulk of my diet, it sometimes seems to me
    >> that it's all that I eat. It does have it's advantages though, it
    >> makes a simple rissotto or a cheese and pickled onion sandwich taste
    >> like fillet steak! Anyway, who needs food when I've got a 45nm CPU on
    >> it's way? <rubs
    >> hands together gleefully>
    >>

    > Ah yes, it should make a tasty sandwich :)
    > http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=248207

    Hi Michael,

    Yes, looks very tasty indeed. I'll be happy if I can get 4GHz without insane
    voltages (anything under 1.375V). It'll be a step-up from my E4500 @ 3.32GHz
    speed-wise, larger L2 cache and more efficient architecture (more MIPs per
    Hz).

    I have a mobo for the soon-to-be displaced E4500 that takes AGP and DDR
    (already running, I had that with the E4500 first before moving to this mobo
    as the other isn't very overclockable). Hopefully I'll find someone
    interested in buying the 'old' kit so I can have some bread with that
    sandwich. ;-)

    LOL, I shouldn't be posting about this under that subject. If I believed in
    that sort of thing it would be bad ju-ju. <g>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 9, 2008
  8. ~misfit~

    bugalugs Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    >s the other isn't very overclockable). Hopefully I'll find someone
    > interested in buying the 'old' kit so I can have some bread with that
    > sandwich. ;-)

    Shaun

    I could be interested depending on what it is. Can't get your gmail
    address to work so so could you drop me an email. My address on this is
    'usable'

    Cam
    bugalugs, Aug 12, 2008
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "bugalugs" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> s the other isn't very overclockable). Hopefully I'll find someone
    >> interested in buying the 'old' kit so I can have some bread with that
    >> sandwich. ;-)
    >>

    > Shaun
    >
    > I could be interested depending on what it is. Can't get your gmail
    > address to work so so could you drop me an email. My address on this
    > is 'usable'
    >
    > Cam

    Hi Cam. Email sent. The (yahoo) return-to addy I use here is fudged and
    almost never checked. The gmail addy that I've mentioned in posts from
    time-to-time works well usually although gmail was down for a time
    yesterday.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.