Re: Microwave cookers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jim S, Apr 29, 2007.

  1. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:04:52 GMT, Organic Icecube wrote:

    > "Jim S" <> wrote in message
    >> I will probably end up at Argos as usual as if/when things go wrong, they
    >> never quibble. With Currys I had to take the original of the current
    >> microwave back on a busy Saturday afternoon and plonk it down in the
    >> middle
    >> of the shop floor and announce my reasons in a very loud voice. It worked
    >> treat, but they lost my custom.

    > I'm surprised you had to resort to stentorian tactics at Argos. I've taken
    > fairly expensive items back to my local outlet and they've changed or
    > credited them with not the slightest quibble. In fact they've not even
    > opened the carton to check that I've not put a couple of housebricks inside.
    > Maybe we have a softer class of acnied youth here in Yorks.
    > :))

    That's what I said diddle I?
    It was Currys that were being difficult!
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Apr 29, 2007

  2. Jim S wrote:

    > That's what I said diddle I?

    When I was a kid in the US midwest in the 1950s, there was a brand of
    gasoline called Speedway. (It may have had a number; Speedway 79 comes
    to mind.) One TV commercial featured a guy who kept pronouncing it
    "speedle way" and another guy correcting him. The punchline was "I
    *said* Speedle Way, diddle I?"

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 29, 2007

  3. Jim S

    Robb Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >Jim S wrote:
    >
    >> That's what I said diddle I?

    >When I was a kid in the US midwest in the 1950s, there was a brand of
    >gasoline called Speedway. (It may have had a number; Speedway 79 comes
    >to mind.) One TV commercial featured a guy who kept pronouncing it
    >"speedle way" and another guy correcting him. The punchline was "I
    >*said* Speedle Way, diddle I?"

    Boise, De Moines, or Oshkosh?

    --
    Robb | Or, "Stinkwater".

    Robb, Apr 29, 2007
  4. Robb wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>Jim S wrote:
    >>
    >>> That's what I said diddle I?

    >>When I was a kid in the US midwest in the 1950s, there was a brand of
    >>gasoline called Speedway. (It may have had a number; Speedway 79 comes
    >>to mind.) One TV commercial featured a guy who kept pronouncing it
    >>"speedle way" and another guy correcting him. The punchline was "I
    >>*said* Speedle Way, diddle I?"

    > Boise, De Moines, or Oshkosh?

    Between Chicago and Detroit.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 29, 2007
  5. Blinky the Shark <> wrote

    > Jim S wrote:
    >> That's what I said diddle I?

    > When I was a kid in the US midwest in the 1950s, there was a brand of
    > gasoline called Speedway. (It may have had a number; Speedway 79 comes
    > to mind.) One TV commercial featured a guy who kept pronouncing it
    > "speedle way" and another guy correcting him. The punchline was "I
    > *said* Speedle Way, diddle I?"

    They still exist, in this incarnation....;o)

    http://www.speedway.com/

    @}-}-------Rosee, Apr 29, 2007
  6. @}-}-------Rosee wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote
    >
    >> Jim S wrote:
    >>> That's what I said diddle I?

    >> When I was a kid in the US midwest in the 1950s, there was a brand of
    >> gasoline called Speedway. (It may have had a number; Speedway 79
    >> comes to mind.) One TV commercial featured a guy who kept
    >> pronouncing it "speedle way" and another guy correcting him. The
    >> punchline was "I *said* Speedle Way, diddle I?"

    > They still exist, in this incarnation....;o)
    >
    > http://www.speedway.com/

    I'll be damned. I'd say the last time I heard of them was in the
    probably early 1960s, when IIRC they were a sponsor of Detroit Tigers
    baseball on TV and radio. I live in L.A. now, but I was still in
    Michigan until 1981, and sure don't remember them except from when I was
    a kid. Thanks for the memories and update, Rosee. I see they're owned
    by Marathon - which I also remember ("Best In The Long Run") - now.

    Where they operate today.

    http://www.speedway.com/Images/SectionHeaders/AUImageHeader.jpg

    Hah! I mentioned "Speedway 79".

    http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/images/flinn/sp79.jpg

    That's from an article about gas in that period.

    http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/flinn032004.asp

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 29, 2007
  7. Jim S

    Robb Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >Robb wrote:

    <snip>

    >> Boise, De Moines, or Oshkosh?

    >Between Chicago and Detroit.

    Ahh land of Sliders. I'm in the south where Krystals aren't king.. Chi town
    is out of my territory so it's probably not in memory. (I'll quit looking!)

    --
    Robb

    Robb, Apr 30, 2007
  8. Robb wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>Robb wrote:

    ><snip>
    >
    >>> Boise, De Moines, or Oshkosh?

    >>Between Chicago and Detroit.

    > Ahh land of Sliders. I'm in the south where Krystals aren't king.. Chi town
    > is out of my territory so it's probably not in memory. (I'll quit looking!)

    Never heard of them until I'd left that area.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 30, 2007
  9. Jim S

    Robb Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >Robb wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>>Robb wrote:

    >><snip>

    >>>Between Chicago and Detroit.

    >> Ahh land of Sliders. I'm in the south where Krystals aren't king.. Chi town
    >> is out of my territory so it's probably not in memory. (I'll quit looking!)

    >Never heard of them until I'd left that area.

    Those square burgers are to food as Nancy Graces shrill whining off-pitch
    screaming on CourtTV is to opera.

    --
    Robb

    Robb, Apr 30, 2007
  10. Jim S

    Guest

    Robb <> wrote:

    >Those square burgers are to food as Nancy Graces shrill whining off-pitch
    >screaming on CourtTV is to opera.

    Every now and again I'll switch to Nancy Grace just long enough to see
    who she's trying to destroy that night, yesterday it was Alec Baldwin.

    Certainly nobody to be taken seriously

    --

    http://interact10ways.com/usa/information_interactive.htm

    , Apr 30, 2007
  11. Blinky the Shark <> wrote

    <schnippen>

    > I'll be damned. I'd say the last time I heard of them was in the
    > probably early 1960s, when IIRC they were a sponsor of Detroit Tigers
    > baseball on TV and radio. I live in L.A. now, but I was still in
    > Michigan until 1981, and sure don't remember them except from when I
    > was a kid. Thanks for the memories and update, Rosee. I see they're
    > owned by Marathon - which I also remember ("Best In The Long Run") -
    > now.
    >
    > Where they operate today.
    >
    > http://www.speedway.com/Images/SectionHeaders/AUImageHeader.jpg
    >
    > Hah! I mentioned "Speedway 79".
    >
    > http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/images/flinn/sp79.jpg
    >
    > That's from an article about gas in that period.
    >
    > http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/flinn032004.asp

    Glad I could be of service....;o)

    Brings back memories for me, also. I managed one of those quick
    rips YEARS ago, in my younger day....'o/

    @}-}-------Rosee, Apr 30, 2007
  12. @}-}-------Rosee wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote
    >
    ><schnippen>
    >
    >> I'll be damned. I'd say the last time I heard of them was in the
    >> probably early 1960s, when IIRC they were a sponsor of Detroit Tigers
    >> baseball on TV and radio. I live in L.A. now, but I was still in
    >> Michigan until 1981, and sure don't remember them except from when I
    >> was a kid. Thanks for the memories and update, Rosee. I see they're
    >> owned by Marathon - which I also remember ("Best In The Long Run") -
    >> now.
    >>
    >> Where they operate today.
    >>
    >> http://www.speedway.com/Images/SectionHeaders/AUImageHeader.jpg
    >>
    >> Hah! I mentioned "Speedway 79".
    >>
    >> http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/images/flinn/sp79.jpg
    >>
    >> That's from an article about gas in that period.
    >>
    >> http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/flinn032004.asp

    > Glad I could be of service....;o)
    >
    > Brings back memories for me, also. I managed one of those quick
    > rips YEARS ago, in my younger day....'o/

    For a while after I got my first degree I was the man wearing the Texaco
    star. Pumped gas for a while. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 30, 2007
  13. Blinky the Shark <> wrote

    > For a while after I got my first degree I was the man wearing the Texaco
    > star. Pumped gas for a while. :)

    It was self-serve, but I would pump gas for the elderly &
    handicapped....;o)

    @}-}-------Rosee, Apr 30, 2007
  14. @}-}-------Rosee wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote
    >
    >> For a while after I got my first degree I was the man wearing the
    >> Texaco star. Pumped gas for a while. :)

    > It was self-serve, but I would pump gas for the elderly &
    > handicapped....;o)

    Heh. For me, it was about 1972 and there wasn't any self serve yet. :)

    Blinky the Shark, May 1, 2007
  15. Jim S

    Frosty Guest

    On 1 May 2007 02:06:36 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Blinky the Shark
    <>, intended to write something intelligible, but
    instead wrote :

    >@}-}-------Rosee wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark <> wrote
    >>
    >>> For a while after I got my first degree I was the man wearing the
    >>> Texaco star. Pumped gas for a while. :)

    >> It was self-serve, but I would pump gas for the elderly &
    >> handicapped....;o)

    >Heh. For me, it was about 1972 and there wasn't any self serve yet. :)

    I supported my drug habit from commissions on wiper blades sales.

    Frosty, May 1, 2007
  16. Jim S

    DemoDisk Guest

    "Frosty" <> wrote ...

    > I supported my drug habit from commissions on wiper blades sales.

    Your "drug of choice," was it Shasta or Barq's? ; )

    DemoDisk, May 3, 2007