Re: Microsoft Vista - Windows Mail query.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by softnfurry, Dec 16, 2009.

  1. softnfurry

    softnfurry Guest

    "~BD~" <> wrote in message
    > Email settings in Vista - is there a 'secret' step to follow?
    >
    > An elderly friend of mine now living permanently in Australia has just
    > bought a new computer to replace his XP machine.
    >
    > It has the Windows Vista OS installed (an upgrade to 7 is available FOC)
    >
    > He is now using --> X-Mailer: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6001.18000
    >
    > He tells me .... "All your emails are coming through as "Malevolent and
    > Phishing" and go to my junk mail box"!
    >
    > **
    >
    > I'm certainly not Phishing - nor am I malevolent! ;)
    >
    > I am, though, using an iMac with OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) and Apple Mail
    > Version 4.2
    >
    > Is there a setting in Vista which needs to be 'adjusted' so that my friend
    > won't receive warnings on receipt of email messages from me?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice which may be helpful (I've never used Vista 'in
    > anger' but still have Windows XP on two separate machines)
    >
    > --
    > Dave (Sometimes man stumbles over the truth ...... Sir Winston Churchill)

    Open Live mail.
    Go to Tools, Safety options,
    Reduce the levels of filtering under "General" to low
    untick Protect my inbox under "Phishing", and untick send to junk folder.
    Check under "Blocked senders" and "international" that his address or domain
    is not listed.

    If that is not enough, add his Email to the "safe senders" list under the
    same settings option.

    That is a general setup that should help, but it's only my preference, you
    can mess in there all you like.

    If he wants the Phishing filters on there's not much he can do to prevent
    mail being sent to the junk by mistake, the filters are not very good in my
    opinion, but adding specific addresses to the safe senders list should help.

    P>S> it makes NO DIFFERENCE which flavour of Windows he has, Windows Mail is
    a stand alone application, and he really needs to update it to version
    14.0.8089.0726.

    softnfurry, Dec 16, 2009

  2. softnfurry

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    softnfurry wrote:

    > "~BD~" <> wrote in message
    >> Email settings in Vista - is there a 'secret' step to follow?
    >>
    >> An elderly friend of mine now living permanently in Australia has just
    >> bought a new computer to replace his XP machine.
    >>
    >> It has the Windows Vista OS installed (an upgrade to 7 is available FOC)
    >>
    >> He is now using --> X-Mailer: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6001.18000
    >>
    >> He tells me .... "All your emails are coming through as "Malevolent
    >> and Phishing" and go to my junk mail box"!
    >>
    >> **
    >>
    >> I'm certainly not Phishing - nor am I malevolent! ;)
    >>
    >> I am, though, using an iMac with OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) and Apple
    >> Mail Version 4.2
    >>
    >> Is there a setting in Vista which needs to be 'adjusted' so that my
    >> friend won't receive warnings on receipt of email messages from me?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any advice which may be helpful (I've never used Vista 'in
    >> anger' but still have Windows XP on two separate machines)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dave (Sometimes man stumbles over the truth ...... Sir Winston Churchill)
    >>

    > Open Live mail.
    > Go to Tools, Safety options,
    > Reduce the levels of filtering under "General" to low
    > untick Protect my inbox under "Phishing", and untick send to junk folder.
    > Check under "Blocked senders" and "international" that his address or
    > domain is not listed.
    >
    > If that is not enough, add his Email to the "safe senders" list under
    > the same settings option.
    >
    > That is a general setup that should help, but it's only my preference,
    > you can mess in there all you like.
    >
    > If he wants the Phishing filters on there's not much he can do to
    > prevent mail being sent to the junk by mistake, the filters are not very
    > good in my opinion, but adding specific addresses to the safe senders
    > list should help.
    >
    > P>S> it makes NO DIFFERENCE which flavour of Windows he has, Windows
    > Mail is a stand alone application, and he really needs to update it to
    > version 14.0.8089.0726.

    In the interests of accuracy, the OP was referring to Windows Mail (the
    successor to Outlook Express), and not to Windows Live Mail, which is
    the email client/news reader component of Windows Live Essentials.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Dec 17, 2009

  3. softnfurry

    softnfurry Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > softnfurry wrote:
    >>

    >> "~BD~" <> wrote in message
    >>> Email settings in Vista - is there a 'secret' step to follow?
    >>>
    >>> An elderly friend of mine now living permanently in Australia has just
    >>> bought a new computer to replace his XP machine.
    >>>
    >>> It has the Windows Vista OS installed (an upgrade to 7 is available FOC)
    >>>
    >>> He is now using --> X-Mailer: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6001.18000
    >>>
    >>> He tells me .... "All your emails are coming through as "Malevolent and
    >>> Phishing" and go to my junk mail box"!
    >>>
    >>> **
    >>>
    >>> I'm certainly not Phishing - nor am I malevolent! ;)
    >>>
    >>> I am, though, using an iMac with OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) and Apple
    >>> Mail Version 4.2
    >>>
    >>> Is there a setting in Vista which needs to be 'adjusted' so that my
    >>> friend won't receive warnings on receipt of email messages from me?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any advice which may be helpful (I've never used Vista 'in
    >>> anger' but still have Windows XP on two separate machines)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Dave (Sometimes man stumbles over the truth ...... Sir Winston
    >>> Churchill)
    >>>

    >> Open Live mail.
    >> Go to Tools, Safety options,
    >> Reduce the levels of filtering under "General" to low
    >> untick Protect my inbox under "Phishing", and untick send to junk folder.
    >> Check under "Blocked senders" and "international" that his address or
    >> domain is not listed.
    >>
    >> If that is not enough, add his Email to the "safe senders" list under the
    >> same settings option.
    >>
    >> That is a general setup that should help, but it's only my preference,
    >> you can mess in there all you like.
    >>
    >> If he wants the Phishing filters on there's not much he can do to prevent
    >> mail being sent to the junk by mistake, the filters are not very good in
    >> my opinion, but adding specific addresses to the safe senders list should
    >> help.

    >> is a stand alone application, and he really needs to update it to version
    >> 14.0.8089.0726.

    > In the interests of accuracy, the OP was referring to Windows Mail (the
    > successor to Outlook Express), and not to Windows Live Mail, which is the
    > email client/news reader component of Windows Live Essentials.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus

    Yes, I presumed he was intending going to Windows 7 as he mentioned the
    upgrade, and Windows 7 needs Windows Live, it has not got windows mail.
    My bad
    I'll get my coat.....>

    softnfurry, Dec 17, 2009