Re: MICROSOFT & TECHICAL SUPPORT IS AN OXYMORON

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Jul 17, 2009.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    family wrote:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet
    >
    > Any problems relating to Microsoft software *only*. Search carefully,
    > there are several solutions for several symptoms. Double then triple check
    > the circumstances in the articles to make sure they apply to your case.
    >
    > *BUT* no telephone number, we wonder why.

    I'm a guy who loves a challenge. The problem, at least for WinXP, could be
    that the primary life cycle of the product has ended. That may change the
    level of support offered. Since WinXP is still being shipped in new
    products, I don't know exactly what that means. For Vista, I'd expect
    better treatment. I found a web page that promised to offer me phone
    numbers, but all it ended up doing is having me fill out an incident
    report etc. I have no incentive to go that far. I'm not that curious
    as to whether there'd be phone numbers, after I give my shoe size,
    birth date or whatever.

    (Retail software is the kind that has support. OEM software, like the OS that
    comes with a Dell, is supported by Dell and not Microsoft. Support is also
    offered by Microsoft, for short periods of time, for things like SP3 issues
    when SP3 came out [support lasted for a year or so], support for people
    installing IE8 and bricking their computers or whatever. This is an example
    of a WinXP retail product still for sale, so it would be interesting to
    see if I could get phone help from Microsoft, to install my new
    purchase.)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16837116194

    I had to use the archive.org site, to try to dig back in time, to see
    what a customer six years ago may have seen in terms of support. I've copied
    the important bits, because sometimes archive.org is down and not
    responding.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20030607...ft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;Prodoffer31

    Phone Support
    -------------

    Options Price Per Incident Phone Numbers
    ------- ------------------ -------------

    2 incidents and installation support No charge (425) 635-3311**

    Paid support $35.00 U.S. (800) 936-5700

    Day of the Week Hours of Operation
    --------------- ------------------

    Monday - Friday 5:00 A.M. - 9:00 P.M. Pacific time
    Saturday - Sunday 6:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M. Pacific time

    The policy is also spelled out here. I expect Jim has less hair now,
    then when he wrote this article.

    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3671_7-5020888-1.html

    So, yes, technically, they did offer support. But notice the clever usage of the toll
    call number. If you've used up your freebie "incidents", then you can spend $35.00 and use
    a toll free number. It might be fun to call them, just to hear the droid on
    the other end of the phone ask for your credit card number :)

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 17, 2009