Re: Microsoft.net Framework?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, Feb 1, 2009.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 01:57:01 -0600, TruDatMoFo wrote:

    >I've noticed in Add or Remove Programs that there are three (3)
    >Microsoft.net Frameworks 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0. Do I need all three of these on
    >my computer?
    >I'm using an older Hp 520w running Windows XP home edition.
    >Thanks for any input.

    Different applications may have installed these. So yes they could all
    be required.

    ..NET Framework, multiple versions? - Yahoo! Answers
    Quick question: I was going through my Add/Remove …
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080612142224AAXFmPP

    Why the Multiple MSXML and .NET Framework files?
    2 posts - Last post: 25 Nov 2008
    I'm seeing multiple versions of MSXML and .NET framework on here and
    wondering if I need them all? Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1. Microsoft .
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=234298&start=0

    Installing Multiple Versions of the .NET Framework
    You can install and run multiple versions of the .NET Framework on a
    computer. Currently there are three versions of the .NET Framework:
    version 1.0, ...
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y549e41e.aspx

    Me
    why?, Feb 1, 2009

  2. why?

    alan Guest

    > On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 01:57:01 -0600, TruDatMoFo wrote:
    >
    >>I've noticed in Add or Remove Programs that there are three (3)
    >>Microsoft.net Frameworks 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0. Do I need all three of these on
    >>my computer?
    >>I'm using an older Hp 520w running Windows XP home edition.
    >>Thanks for any input.

    > Different applications may have installed these. So yes they could all
    > be required.

    While downloading just *one* application (paint.net) last week, 3 versions
    of .net frameworks were installed. (I've since uninstalled paint.net as well
    the net frameworks, but I think they may have been 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5).

    Can anyone explain just what it is that net.frameworks does?

    and why one program would apparently require 3 different versions of it?

    Thanks
    alan, Feb 1, 2009

  3. why?

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:sMphl.21837$ "alan"
    <> wrote:

    > Can anyone explain just what it is that net.frameworks does?

    More that you probably want to know can be found here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/NET/

    but it provides the runtime libraries for applications that have been
    written to require it. MS apparently viewed it as their answer to Sun's
    Java. It's had some small market penetration.

    > and why one program would apparently require 3 different versions of
    > it?

    Each revision introduced enough incompatibilities that an application
    written for an older version won't work with the newer one, so on the
    chance that you have or might someday have such an application, MS will
    burden you with all of them.

    I happen to enjoy programming in C#, which uses the dotNet framework,
    but I don't think I'd ever want to implement a commercial application
    with it.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Feb 1, 2009
  4. why?

    alan Guest

    "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > In news:sMphl.21837$ "alan"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone explain just what it is that net.frameworks does?

    > More that you probably want to know can be found here:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/NET/
    >
    > but it provides the runtime libraries for applications that have been
    > written to require it. MS apparently viewed it as their answer to Sun's
    > Java. It's had some small market penetration.
    >
    >> and why one program would apparently require 3 different versions of
    >> it?

    > Each revision introduced enough incompatibilities that an application
    > written for an older version won't work with the newer one, so on the
    > chance that you have or might someday have such an application, MS will
    > burden you with all of them.
    >
    > I happen to enjoy programming in C#, which uses the dotNet framework,
    > but I don't think I'd ever want to implement a commercial application
    > with it.

    Thank you, Bert!
    alan, Feb 1, 2009