Re: Microsoft may face daily EU fine

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by FUD, Dec 22, 2005.

  1. FUD

    FUD Guest

    begin Roy Culley , wrote in message
    :
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4552214.stm
    >
    > The European Commission has threatened to fine Microsoft up to 2m
    > euros ($2.4m) a day until it gives rivals more access to its
    > operating systems.


    Why should it have to?

    > Brussels said the software giant had failed to supply adequate
    > information about its server programmes.


    How convenient? Don't state exactly what should be documented, then find
    that whatever is supplied as inadequate. [Everybody want to see your demise,
    please provide a blank cheque]

    > Microsoft has five weeks to provide improved documentation before
    > the daily penalties are imposed.
    >
    > The EU said it was "left with no alternative" after giving
    > Microsoft every chance to comply with its ruling.


    Such moves, coercions, and exhaustion by the EU, will be found illegal acts
    of revenue raising and attempts of dispossessing an owner of it right to
    peaceful and quiet enjoyment of it property. The EU will be discredited as
    thieves in pursuit of a cabal.

    Nothing more than machination of the envious.

    --
    What makes a person doubt you is the horror at the thought they may be
    wrong.
     
    FUD, Dec 22, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. FUD

    Rick Guest

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 02:32:41 -1100, FUD wrote:

    > begin Roy Culley , wrote in message
    > :
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4552214.stm
    >>
    >> The European Commission has threatened to fine Microsoft up to 2m
    >> euros ($2.4m) a day until it gives rivals more access to its
    >> operating systems.

    >
    > Why should it have to?


    Because the court said so.

    >
    >> Brussels said the software giant had failed to supply adequate
    >> information about its server programmes.

    >
    > How convenient? Don't state exactly what should be documented, then find
    > that whatever is supplied as inadequate. [Everybody want to see your
    > demise, please provide a blank cheque]


    Your premise is flawed.

    >
    >> Microsoft has five weeks to provide improved documentation before the
    >> daily penalties are imposed.
    >>
    >> The EU said it was "left with no alternative" after giving Microsoft
    >> every chance to comply with its ruling.

    >
    > Such moves, coercions, and exhaustion by the EU, will be found illegal
    > acts of revenue raising and attempts of dispossessing an owner of it right
    > to peaceful and quiet enjoyment of it property. The EU will be discredited
    > as thieves in pursuit of a cabal.


    In your pro-micro$oft opinion.

    >
    > Nothing more than machination of the envious.


    --
    Rick
     
    Rick, Dec 22, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. begin virus.txt.scr FUD wrote:

    > begin Roy Culley , wrote in message
    > :
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4552214.stm
    >>
    >> The European Commission has threatened to fine Microsoft up to 2m
    >> euros ($2.4m) a day until it gives rivals more access to its
    >> operating systems.

    >
    > Why should it have to?
    >
    >> Brussels said the software giant had failed to supply adequate
    >> information about its server programmes.

    >
    > How convenient? Don't state exactly what should be documented, then find
    > that whatever is supplied as inadequate. [Everybody want to see your
    > demise, please provide a blank cheque]
    >
    >> Microsoft has five weeks to provide improved documentation before
    >> the daily penalties are imposed.
    >>
    >> The EU said it was "left with no alternative" after giving
    >> Microsoft every chance to comply with its ruling.

    >
    > Such moves, coercions, and exhaustion by the EU, will be found illegal
    > acts of revenue raising and attempts of dispossessing an owner of it right
    > to peaceful and quiet enjoyment of it property. The EU will be discredited
    > as thieves in pursuit of a cabal.
    >
    > Nothing more than machination of the envious.
    >


    Idiot
    --
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?
     
    Peter =?UTF-8?B?S8O2aGxtYW5u?=, Dec 22, 2005
    #3
  4. Re: 1rst day on paxil

    Peter =?UTF-8?B?S8O2aGxtYW5u?= <> wrote:

    > is sex good?
     
    Piperidinoethanimidoyl-Azatricyclo-Benzylphenoxy-O, Dec 22, 2005
    #4
  5. FUD

    B Gruff Guest

    On Thursday 22 December 2005 13:32 FUD wrote:

    >> The EU said it was "left with no alternative" after giving
    >> Microsoft every chance to comply with its ruling.

    >
    > Such moves, coercions, and exhaustion by the EU, will be found illegal
    > acts of revenue raising and attempts of dispossessing an owner of it right
    > to peaceful and quiet enjoyment of it property. The EU will be discredited
    > as thieves in pursuit of a cabal.


    I don't think so.
    In fact, it looks as though the E.U. is actually doing what the U.S. courts
    should have done, and would have done were it not for the fact that the
    U.S. is now pretty-well controlled by the large corporations...

    In any event, the way things are going means that there can be one of only
    three possible outcomes:-

    1. Microsoft can comply with the law

    2. Microsoft can go bust.

    3. Microsoft can cease to vend its goods in the E.U.

    Microsoft is quite free to make its choice.
     
    B Gruff, Dec 22, 2005
    #5
  6. __/ [Rick] on Thursday 22 December 2005 14:36 \__

    > On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 02:32:41 -1100, FUD wrote:
    >
    >> begin Roy Culley , wrote in message
    >> :
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4552214.stm
    >>>
    >>> The European Commission has threatened to fine Microsoft up to 2m
    >>> euros ($2.4m) a day until it gives rivals more access to its
    >>> operating systems.

    >>
    >> Why should it have to?

    >
    > Because the court said so.



    ....and because practices adopted by Microsoft are intended to cripple the
    rival rather than offer added value.


    >>> Brussels said the software giant had failed to supply adequate
    >>> information about its server programmes.

    >>
    >> How convenient? Don't state exactly what should be documented, then find
    >> that whatever is supplied as inadequate. [Everybody want to see your
    >> demise, please provide a blank cheque]

    >
    > Your premise is flawed.



    What premise? He's pulling this out of his bottom.


    >>> Microsoft has five weeks to provide improved documentation before the
    >>> daily penalties are imposed.
    >>>
    >>> The EU said it was "left with no alternative" after giving Microsoft
    >>> every chance to comply with its ruling.

    >>
    >> Such moves, coercions, and exhaustion by the EU, will be found illegal
    >> acts of revenue raising and attempts of dispossessing an owner of it right
    >> to peaceful and quiet enjoyment of it property. The EU will be discredited
    >> as thieves in pursuit of a cabal.

    >
    > In your pro-micro$oft opinion.
    >
    >>
    >> Nothing more than machination of the envious.



    Read the article again. The EU is trying to run servers that are better and
    enable them to communicate with those pretentious machines that refuse to
    say a word. It sounds like close-source vanity or discrimination to me.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Have you compiled your kernel today?"
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    4:05pm up 11 days 23:16, 7 users, load average: 0.64, 0.50, 0.46
    http://iuron.com - next generation of search paradigms
     
    Roy Schestowitz, Dec 22, 2005
    #6
  7. FUD

    billwg Guest

    "B Gruff" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Thursday 22 December 2005 13:32 FUD wrote:
    >
    >>> The EU said it was "left with no alternative" after giving
    >>> Microsoft every chance to comply with its ruling.

    >>
    >> Such moves, coercions, and exhaustion by the EU, will be found
    >> illegal
    >> acts of revenue raising and attempts of dispossessing an owner of it
    >> right
    >> to peaceful and quiet enjoyment of it property. The EU will be
    >> discredited
    >> as thieves in pursuit of a cabal.

    >
    > I don't think so.
    > In fact, it looks as though the E.U. is actually doing what the U.S.
    > courts
    > should have done, and would have done were it not for the fact that
    > the
    > U.S. is now pretty-well controlled by the large corporations...
    >
    > In any event, the way things are going means that there can be one of
    > only
    > three possible outcomes:-
    >
    > 1. Microsoft can comply with the law
    >
    > 2. Microsoft can go bust.
    >
    > 3. Microsoft can cease to vend its goods in the E.U.
    >
    > Microsoft is quite free to make its choice.
    >

    Well, goat, the appeal hasn't been heard yet, so there is still some
    chance that the EU will have to get in line. You may find the USA
    opposing the action, too. In a stand up fight, who do you think would
    win?

    It is interesting to see that the EU doesn't consider the competing
    systems to have any merit on their own, though. How do you reconcile
    that? No one can add any value unless they work with Windows, is the
    theory, so Windows has to turn loose of any an all information and it
    has to be explained so that the other can comprehend it. A tall order
    since the competitors have demonstrated an adversity to learning
    anything new! LOL!!!
     
    billwg, Dec 22, 2005
    #7
  8. FUD

    chrisv Guest

    B Gruff wrote:
    > On Thursday 22 December 2005 13:32 FUD wrote:
    >
    >>> The EU said it was "left with no alternative" after giving
    >>> Microsoft every chance to comply with its ruling.

    >>
    >> Such moves, coercions, and exhaustion by the EU, will be found
    >> illegal acts of revenue raising and attempts of dispossessing an
    >> owner of it right to peaceful and quiet enjoyment of it property.
    >> The EU will be discredited as thieves in pursuit of a cabal.

    >
    > I don't think so.
    > In fact, it looks as though the E.U. is actually doing what the U.S.
    > courts should have done, and would have done were it not for the fact
    > that the U.S. is now pretty-well controlled by the large
    > corporations...
    >
    > In any event, the way things are going means that there can be one of
    > only three possible outcomes:-
    >
    > 1. Microsoft can comply with the law
    >
    > 2. Microsoft can go bust.
    >
    > 3. Microsoft can cease to vend its goods in the E.U.
    >
    > Microsoft is quite free to make its choice.


    Opt for '3' and wait for the uproar of the people.
     
    chrisv, Dec 22, 2005
    #8
  9. Re: Haemorrhoid/Piles Question, please help.

    Peter =?UTF-8?B?S8O2aGxtYW5u?= <> wrote:

    > I was wondering about emancipation at the age of 12. Is that
    > possible??? Where can I get information about it??? And do your parents
    > have to consent to it???
     
    Abdul-Muizz al-Hakam, Dec 22, 2005
    #9
  10. Re: Is tanning for me???

    Peter =?UTF-8?B?S8O2aGxtYW5u?= <> wrote:

    > I have a tube hanging out of my chest, which is draining blood from my
    > collapsed lung, after having been inserted without the aid of
    > anaesthetic.
     
    Advayananda Naueshwara, Dec 22, 2005
    #10
  11. FUD

    FUD Guest

    begin Peter Köhlmann , wrote in message
    oeh6c$vu$03$-online.com:
    > begin virus.txt.scr FUD wrote:
    >
    >> begin Roy Culley , wrote in message
    >> :
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4552214.stm
    >>>
    >>> The European Commission has threatened to fine Microsoft up to 2m
    >>> euros ($2.4m) a day until it gives rivals more access to its
    >>> operating systems.

    >>
    >> Why should it have to?
    >>
    >>> Brussels said the software giant had failed to supply adequate
    >>> information about its server programmes.

    >>
    >> How convenient? Don't state exactly what should be documented, then
    >> find that whatever is supplied as inadequate. [Everybody want to see
    >> your demise, please provide a blank cheque]
    >>
    >>> Microsoft has five weeks to provide improved documentation before
    >>> the daily penalties are imposed.
    >>>
    >>> The EU said it was "left with no alternative" after giving
    >>> Microsoft every chance to comply with its ruling.

    >>
    >> Such moves, coercions, and exhaustion by the EU, will be found
    >> illegal acts of revenue raising and attempts of dispossessing an
    >> owner of it right to peaceful and quiet enjoyment of it property.
    >> The EU will be discredited as thieves in pursuit of a cabal.
    >>
    >> Nothing more than machination of the envious.
    >>

    >
    > Idiot


    You put your point across in such a way, it's difficult to know if you are
    slighting yourself or are just ham-fisted in what you try to convey in your
    post creation.

    Are you afraid of those things you cannot handle, Peter? You also seem
    afraid of my posts, and hence you alter the FU's.

    --
    What makes a person doubt you is the horror at the thought they may be
    wrong.
     
    FUD, Dec 22, 2005
    #11
  12. FUD

    serge Guest

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:08:25 +0000, B Gruff wrote:
    <...>
    > In any event, the way things are going means that there can be one of only
    > three possible outcomes:-
    >
    > 1. Microsoft can comply with the law
    >
    > 2. Microsoft can go bust.


    At 2.4 million a day?
    Heck, this could just be the cost of doing business for MS.


    > 3. Microsoft can cease to vend its goods in the E.U.
    >
    > Microsoft is quite free to make its choice.



    -Serge
     
    serge, Dec 22, 2005
    #12
  13. begin virus.txt.scr FUD wrote:

    > begin Peter Köhlmann , wrote in message

    < snip >

    >> Idiot

    >
    > You put your point across in such a way, it's difficult to know if you are
    > slighting yourself or are just ham-fisted in what you try to convey in
    > your post creation.
    >
    > Are you afraid of those things you cannot handle, Peter? You also seem
    > afraid of my posts, and hence you alter the FU's.
    >


    I don't /alter/ the FU, I add it. Wouldn't you agree that your idiocy is
    very appropriate at "24hoursupport.helpdesk" and only there?
    --
    I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
     
    Peter =?UTF-8?B?S8O2aGxtYW5u?=, Dec 22, 2005
    #13
  14. Re: IM SO EXCITED there's this girl...

    Peter =?UTF-8?B?S8O2aGxtYW5u?= <> wrote:

    > I lost a button hole today.
     
    Sué Futabatei, Dec 22, 2005
    #14
  15. FUD

    FUD Guest

    begin Rick , wrote in message
    :
    > On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 02:32:41 -1100, FUD wrote:
    >
    >> begin Roy Culley , wrote in message
    >> :
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4552214.stm
    >>>
    >>> The European Commission has threatened to fine Microsoft up to 2m
    >>> euros ($2.4m) a day until it gives rivals more access to its
    >>> operating systems.

    >>
    >> Why should it have to?

    >
    > Because the court said so.
    >
    >>
    >>> Brussels said the software giant had failed to supply adequate
    >>> information about its server programmes.

    >>
    >> How convenient? Don't state exactly what should be documented, then
    >> find that whatever is supplied as inadequate. [Everybody want to see
    >> your demise, please provide a blank cheque]

    >
    > Your premise is flawed.


    Not at all, you just chose to read it in the wrong way. That is more than
    likely why you are blindsided.

    Let me spell it out for you. EU don't declare what should or should not be
    in the documentation, then they are able to declare anything inadequate. Get
    it now?

    >>
    >>> Microsoft has five weeks to provide improved documentation
    >>> before the daily penalties are imposed.
    >>>
    >>> The EU said it was "left with no alternative" after giving
    >>> Microsoft every chance to comply with its ruling.

    >>
    >> Such moves, coercions, and exhaustion by the EU, will be found
    >> illegal acts of revenue raising and attempts of dispossessing an
    >> owner of it right to peaceful and quiet enjoyment of it property.
    >> The EU will be discredited as thieves in pursuit of a cabal.

    >
    > In your pro-micro$oft opinion.


    I'm neutrally objective, aren't you? That is what I see. What do you want to
    see?

    >> Nothing more than machination of the envious.


    --
    What makes a person doubt you is the horror at the thought they may be
    wrong.
     
    FUD, Dec 23, 2005
    #15
  16. FUD

    FUD Guest

    begin B Gruff , wrote in message
    :
    > On Thursday 22 December 2005 13:32 FUD wrote:
    >
    >>> The EU said it was "left with no alternative" after giving
    >>> Microsoft every chance to comply with its ruling.

    >>
    >> Such moves, coercions, and exhaustion by the EU, will be found
    >> illegal acts of revenue raising and attempts of dispossessing an
    >> owner of it right to peaceful and quiet enjoyment of it property.
    >> The EU will be discredited as thieves in pursuit of a cabal.

    >
    > I don't think so.
    > In fact, it looks as though the E.U. is actually doing what the U.S.
    > courts should have done, and would have done were it not for the fact
    > that the U.S. is now pretty-well controlled by the large
    > corporations...
    >
    > In any event, the way things are going means that there can be one of
    > only three possible outcomes:-
    >
    > 1. Microsoft can comply with the law
    >
    > 2. Microsoft can go bust.
    >
    > 3. Microsoft can cease to vend its goods in the E.U.
    >
    > Microsoft is quite free to make its choice.


    Ah yes, you're talking the mechanics of fair trade. I see your point most
    clearly.

    --
    What makes a person doubt you is the horror at the thought they may be
    wrong.
     
    FUD, Dec 23, 2005
    #16
  17. FUD

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, FUD
    <> wrote:

    > begin Roy Culley , wrote in message
    > :
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4552214.stm
    > >
    > > The European Commission has threatened to fine Microsoft up to 2m
    > > euros ($2.4m) a day until it gives rivals more access to its
    > > operating systems.

    >
    > Why should it have to?

    Many companies have protections in place to support companies that
    develop for the Windows platform; it's almost the only way to make sure
    Microsoft creates opportunities for other businesses.
    If that doesn's sound fair, think of some other way that people who
    don't make the operating system can keep making and offering products.

    > > Brussels said the software giant had failed to supply adequate
    > > information about its server programmes.

    >
    > How convenient? Don't state exactly what should be documented, then find
    > that whatever is supplied as inadequate. [Everybody want to see your demise,
    > please provide a blank cheque]

    You understand that this note wasn't the actual complaint? I'm sure the
    complaint and orders were quite specific -- as the charges would be.

    > > Microsoft has five weeks to provide improved documentation before
    > > the daily penalties are imposed.
    > >
    > > The EU said it was "left with no alternative" after giving
    > > Microsoft every chance to comply with its ruling.

    >
    > Such moves, coercions, and exhaustion by the EU, will be found illegal acts
    > of revenue raising and attempts of dispossessing an owner of it right to
    > peaceful and quiet enjoyment of it property. The EU will be discredited as
    > thieves in pursuit of a cabal.


    Bizarre -- most people see it exactly the opposite way -- where
    Microsoft is the powerful thief acting against everyone else's
    interests.
    "Peacful and quiet enjoyment of its property" sounds like you read that
    out of a trespassing clause. Microsoft is NOT attempting to engage in
    peaceful and quiet enjoyment of any property. They are trying to sell
    it as the controlling package for a huge segment of the computer
    industry, and since that industry involves hundreds of players, there
    are many many products and interests involved.

    > Nothing more than machination of the envious.


    That's just stupid. If a guy robs a bank, do you assume police go after
    him because they are just envious he got to the money first?
    Microsoft is nothing to be envious of. But from many perspectives,
    Microsoft is something to fight in order to help others.
     
    Mitch, Dec 23, 2005
    #17
  18. FUD

    Mitch Guest

    In article <dohi7m.184.1@133.256.1.103.MISMATCH>, FUD
    <> wrote:

    > Let me spell it out for you. EU don't declare what should or should not be
    > in the documentation, then they are able to declare anything inadequate. Get
    > it now?


    But why do you believe the EU didn't declare what Microsoft needed to
    provide?
     
    Mitch, Dec 23, 2005
    #18
  19. FUD

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, B Gruff
    <> wrote:

    > I don't think so.
    > In fact, it looks as though the E.U. is actually doing what the U.S. courts
    > should have done, and would have done were it not for the fact that the
    > U.S. is now pretty-well controlled by the large corporations...
    >
    > In any event, the way things are going means that there can be one of only
    > three possible outcomes:-
    >
    > 1. Microsoft can comply with the law
    >
    > 2. Microsoft can go bust.
    >
    > 3. Microsoft can cease to vend its goods in the E.U.
    >
    > Microsoft is quite free to make its choice.
    >


    Well, of course they'll try to barter down the conditions of
    compliance, and then do whatever they need to do to get temporary
    approval. Unfortunately, in the past that has meant temporary
    compliance and then continued (and worse) violations again.

    I find it bizarre that a company with it's strength of position
    believes it has to fight these kinds of fundamental battles. It's not
    like they risk anything. Microsoft hasn't got it's position today
    because if keeps it's product development really secret. And their own
    successes often come from partnering up with developers that offer new
    technologies -- trying to slow the development of those technologies
    isn't a good strategy from any angle.
     
    Mitch, Dec 23, 2005
    #19
  20. FUD

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "serge" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:08:25 +0000, B Gruff wrote:
    > <...>
    >> In any event, the way things are going means that there can be one of
    >> only
    >> three possible outcomes:-
    >>
    >> 1. Microsoft can comply with the law
    >>
    >> 2. Microsoft can go bust.

    >
    > At 2.4 million a day?
    > Heck, this could just be the cost of doing business for MS.
    >
    >
    >> 3. Microsoft can cease to vend its goods in the E.U.
    >>
    >> Microsoft is quite free to make its choice.

    >
    >
    > -Serge


    I used to work for this company a multi billon dollar manufacturing company
    with plants through out the US, Europe and the world. The stuff being talked
    here about 2.4 a day on a fine is absolute chick fee as a company like that
    and I was told that fines that a company may have enforced which nine times
    out ten is reduced is cost to operate and they keep on doing what they are
    doing pollution or what ever it may be. :)

    I am sure MS is looking at in that light and is cost to operate.

    Duane :)
     
    Duane Arnold, Dec 23, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Len

    Face to Face Purchase Help UK

    Len, Oct 30, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    621
    Graham
    Nov 1, 2003
  2. Annika1980

    FACE TO FACE WITH THE D60 !!!

    Annika1980, Nov 6, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    602
    Robert A. Barr
    Nov 9, 2003
  3. Replies:
    10
    Views:
    721
    tacit
    Jul 4, 2006
  4. Andrew Mowat
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    612
    Andrew Mowat
    Sep 14, 2004
  5. Fierce Guppy
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    541
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    Dec 17, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page