Re: Microsoft kills Seinfeld ads ...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 20, 2008.

  1. .... and replaces them with new, even more baffling "I'm a PC" ads.

    What is this "PC" that Microsoft is selling?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 20, 2008

  2. In <gb2evq$o0s$> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > .... and replaces them with new, even more baffling "I'm a PC" ads.
    >
    > What is this "PC" that Microsoft is selling?

    John Gruber has a good take on it today. The full article is well worth
    reading. Brief excerpts follow.

    http://daringfireball.net/2008/09/digging_deeper

    The high concept of Apple's long-running "Get a Mac" TV campaign is that
    the characters portrayed by John Hodgman and Justin Long are personified
    computers. It's right there in the opening lines of every ad in the
    series: "Hello, I?m a Mac." "And I?m a PC." Hodgman is not "Windows";
    Long is not Mac OS X. They are not representative or average PC/Mac
    users. They are computers.

    And so what makes Microsoft's new "I'm a PC" commercials so jaw-
    droppingly bad is that they?re not countering Apple's message, but
    instead they're reinforcing it. That the spots themselves jump between
    dozens of different people who "are" PCs, that the spots make a point of
    emphasizing that there are a billion Windows-running PCs worldwide, this
    only emphasizes that "PC" is not a brand name but a generic.

    Microsoft's new ads emphasize the same message as Apple's: that the Mac
    is the one and only brand-name computer in the world.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    Roger Johnstone, Sep 21, 2008

  3. In <48d5ae53$> sam wrote:
    > Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >> In <gb2evq$o0s$> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> .... and replaces them with new, even more baffling "I'm a PC" ads.
    >>>
    >>> What is this "PC" that Microsoft is selling?

    >> John Gruber has a good take on it today. The full article is well
    >> worth reading. Brief excerpts follow. http://daringfireball.net/
    >> 2008/09/digging_deeper The high concept of Apple's long-running
    >> "Get a Mac" TV campaign is that the characters portrayed by John
    >> Hodgman and Justin Long are personified computers. It's right there
    >> in the opening lines of every ad in the series: "Hello, I?m a Mac."
    >> "And I?m a PC." Hodgman is not "Windows"; Long is not Mac OS X. They
    >> are not representative or average PC/Mac users. They are computers.

    >> And so what makes Microsoft's new "I'm a PC" commercials so jaw-
    >> droppingly bad is that they?re not countering Apple's message, but
    >> instead they're reinforcing it. That the spots themselves jump
    >> between dozens of different people who "are" PCs, that the spots
    >> make a point of emphasizing that there are a billion Windows-running
    >> PCs worldwide, this only emphasizes that "PC" is not a brand name
    >> but a generic. Microsoft's new ads emphasize the same message as
    >> Apple's: that the Mac is the one and only brand-name computer in the
    >> world.

    > What a load of pompous wanking, you really need to get over yourself,
    > its a fucking appliance.

    And I'm talking about a series of ads for these appliances. What are you
    talking about?

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    Roger Johnstone, Sep 21, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message news:48d5dacf$...
    > Roger Johnstone wrote:

    >>> What a load of pompous wanking, you really need to get over yourself,
    >>> its a fucking appliance.

    >> And I'm talking about a series of ads for these appliances. What are you
    >> talking about?
    >>

    > No, you are talking about the ad for the corporation that makes a bit of
    > the software for a huge variety of appliances, you are getting a stiffy
    > over a small variant, that still feels the need to include several
    > different ways of running Windows.

    Still blaming the success of Apple and Microsoft for your own inadequacies,
    Sam?
    impossible, Sep 21, 2008
  5. In <48d5dacf$> sam wrote:
    > Roger Johnstone wrote:

    >>> What a load of pompous wanking, you really need to get over yourself,
    >>> its a fucking appliance.

    >> And I'm talking about a series of ads for these appliances. What are
    >> you talking about?

    > No, you are talking about the ad for the corporation that makes a bit
    > of the software for a huge variety of appliances, you are getting a
    > stiffy over a small variant, that still feels the need to include
    > several different ways of running Windows.

    I do prefer Mac OS X over Linux or Windows, but you didn't know that.
    Even if I preferred Windows I would like to think I'd still agree with
    Gruber's view on the Apple and Microsoft ads. I can't imagine why I
    wouldn't, since it has absolutely nothing to do with any like or dislike
    for the products being advertised, but for the reasoning behind the ads
    themselves.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    Roger Johnstone, Sep 21, 2008
  6. In message <>, Carnations wrote:

    > A general purpose computing device is not an appliance.

    Why not?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 21, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message news:48d60787$...
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "sam" <> wrote in message

    >>> No, you are talking about the ad for the corporation that makes a bit of
    >>> the software for a huge variety of appliances, you are getting a stiffy
    >>> over a small variant, that still feels the need to include several
    >>> different ways of running Windows.

    >> Still blaming the success of Apple and Microsoft for your own
    >> inadequacies, Sam?

    > They are all just machines with software, you buy a Mac when you have an
    > application that suits it, You buy a Windows PC when you have an
    > application that suits it, and you buy a Linux PC when you have an
    > appication that suits it.

    In the real world, it's like this:

    http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    90% of users buy a Windows pc because the hardware is fast, cheap, and
    reliable and because there are powerful off-the-shelf applications available
    for almost any need or interest. 5% of users buy a Mac pc because they're
    willing to pay for little more style and/or reliability within a more
    limited domain of applications. 2% of users take an old Windows pc and
    dual-boot with Linux to have a play with an alternative os, then discover
    there are no interesting applications to make the exercise worthwhile.

    > Ads that anthropomorphize them or stereotype the users are just like any
    > other appliance ads. Which is what the Microsoft ads are attempting to
    > say, that the remarkable thing about the personal computer users is their
    > diversity, not the tribalism engendered by Steve Jobs conning his
    > customers that they are special despite their hardware coming from Foxconn
    > in China same as everyone elses.

    Personally, I think the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" adds are hilarious -- and I'm
    a pc user. Maybe you should just lighten up a bit.
    impossible, Sep 21, 2008
  8. In message <48d6ac8e$>, Southern Kiwi wrote:

    > ... $2,000 10 years ago would have been
    > considered "cheap" for a computer set up, yet if I pay that now I get a
    > reasonably specified machine & software that will perform at least 100
    > times better than its distant ancestor.

    So, does it boot up 100 times faster? Do apps launch 100 times quicker? Is
    it 100 times more reliable? Does it offer 100 times the features?

    Or are you just running a version of Dimdows that consumes 100 times the
    resources?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 21, 2008
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Carnations" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 15:15:32 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >

    >> In the real world, it's like this:
    >>
    >> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
    >>
    >> 90% of users buy a Windows pc because the hardware is fast, cheap, and
    >> reliable and because there are powerful off-the-shelf applications
    >> available
    >> for almost any need or interest. 5% of users buy a Mac pc because they're
    >> willing to pay for little more style and/or reliability within a more
    >> limited domain of applications. 2% of users take an old Windows pc and
    >> dual-boot with Linux to have a play with an alternative os, then discover
    >> there are no interesting applications to make the exercise worthwhile.
    >>

    > Unfortunately, while they may be buying OEM M$ Windows on hardware that
    > they *think* is both fast, cheap, AND reliable, the reality is that they
    > will never get all three...

    So long as you stay away from those natsy knock-offs that ~misfit~ keeps
    recommending, you are assured of Fast and Reliable hardware. But you do have
    to have a job first to appreciate how Cheap all that gear is nowadays.

    > and when they need to replace their broken
    > hardware they'll be paying the Microsoft tax over and over and over
    > again, because they're too stupid to realise they're being sold a
    > knackered horse.

    And this CupPee Cliche was brought to you by....let's see,
    CupaPee/Carnations. Cute.
    impossible, Sep 21, 2008
  10. In message <>, Carnations wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:54:46 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Carnations wrote:
    >>
    >>> A general purpose computing device is not an appliance.

    >> Why not?

    > Because it is a GENERAL Purpose computing device and as such is not
    > applied to a dedicated purpose.

    Define "dedicated".

    > A fire-engine is an appliance. But a flat-deck truck is not.

    A fire-engine is useful for things other than putting out fires. For
    example, rescuing people stuck in high places for whatever reason (not
    necessarily fires). They get called out to cut people out of wreckage in a
    traffic accident, even where there's no fire.

    Moral: your definition of "appliance" is dangerously woolly.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 22, 2008
  11. In <48d6106d$> Bobs wrote:
    > Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >>
    >> John Gruber has a good take on it today. The full article is well
    >> worth reading. Brief excerpts follow. http://daringfireball.net/
    >> 2008/09/digging_deeper The high concept of Apple's long-running
    >> "Get a Mac" TV campaign is that the characters portrayed by John
    >> Hodgman and Justin Long are personified computers. It's right there
    >> in the opening lines of every ad in the series: "Hello, I'm a Mac."
    >> "And I'm a PC." Hodgman is not "Windows"; Long is not Mac OS X. They
    >> are not representative or average PC/Mac users. They are computers.

    >> And so what makes Microsoft's new "I'm a PC" commercials so jaw-
    >> droppingly bad is that they're not countering Apple's message, but
    >> instead they're reinforcing it. That the spots themselves jump
    >> between dozens of different people who "are" PCs, that the spots
    >> make a point of emphasizing that there are a billion Windows-running
    >> PCs worldwide, this only emphasizes that "PC" is not a brand name
    >> but a generic. Microsoft's new ads emphasize the same message as
    >> Apple's: that the Mac is the one and only brand-name computer in the
    >> world.

    > He must have the brain the size of a lump of rather small rat fecal
    > matter, as he just missed the entire point of the ad.
    >
    > In the mac ads, it's well alluded to that by pc they mean windows, but
    > don't mention windows because of legal reasons.

    No, some of the ads specifically mention Vista, and PC (the character)
    having problems running Vista. PC is a PC who happens to run Windows,
    but he is not supposed to be Windows. Gruber's argument (which I agree
    with) is that the ads have no need to mention Windows since Apple's
    competition is not Microsoft but PC manufacturers.

    > Anyway, these ads
    > portray windows users as boring coroporates and bean counters. Not hip
    > or trendy, and not creative.

    I can see how many people would take it that way, but I don't think
    that's the intention of the Mac/PC ads. PC is supposed to represent the
    typical boring-looking PC which, like 90% of the other PCs out there,
    happens to run Windows.

    > Microsoft ads target this perception by
    > having a dozen or so people from every single walk of life saying they
    > use a pc. You may or may not think it's a lame ad, but clearly this
    > Gruber guy needs to watch it a few more times to get it.

    I think it's quite a good ad, and certianly a lot better than the
    Seinfeld/Gates ads. Gruber's argument though is that by using the term
    PC instead of Windows, Microsoft are actually reinforcing the idea that
    all PCs are the same and the only brand-name PC is Apple.

    > Here's an idea for you, by the way. Instead of reading someones
    > opinion of the ad...watch it yourself and form your own opinion.

    Here's an idea: I did watch it and thought it was OK. Then I read
    Gruber's article where I thought he brought up some very good points, so
    thought I'd share them here.

    > I'm sure we can all agree that anything that goes against those smug
    > elitist mac ads is a good thing.

    Most people (most of who are in turn usings PCs with Windows) like the
    ads. The only people I know of who strongly dislike them are long-time
    PC geeks.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    Roger Johnstone, Sep 22, 2008
  12. Carnations wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:15:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> ... and replaces them with new, even more baffling "I'm a PC" ads.
    >>
    >> What is this "PC" that Microsoft is selling?

    > Linux, or BSD, or Winders, or even in fact MAC boxen. ;o)
    >
    > They're all "Personal Computers".

    None of which Microsoft is selling.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 22, 2008
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-09-22, Bobs <> wrote:

    > Anyone that uses Dimdows for Windows instantly goes in my shit list.

    Do you think anyone actually cares how shitty your list is?

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, Sep 22, 2008
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Roger Johnstone" typed:

    > I do prefer Mac OS X over Linux or Windows, but you didn't know that.

    You're right, he probably didn't. I doubt he knows how to read your headers:

    ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 23, 2008