Re: Microsoft challenges Linux+legacy-hardware claim

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by 7, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. 7

    7 Guest

    B Gruff wrote:

    > In short, Microsoft is devoting considerable effort to challenging the
    > theory that Linux can run on lower-spec (legacy/old) hardware than can MS
    > products.
    >
    > Worth reading, if only to catch a glimpse of the next "Get The Facts"
    > round:)

    Well here is a simplest of all windope challenges.
    On a 750MHz Duron PC I can watch an mpeg movie
    and burn 16x CD at the same time without interruption
    from with files from the same hard disk. The system has 250Mb RAM.
    I'm doing this with Mepis, Knoppix etc...
    http://www.livecdlist.com
    Anyone can reproduce this as all the software is free.

    Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
    such performance despite having to pay for
    a legacy operating system.

    Here is another:

    I can burn 4Gb (14,000+ files) to DVD from my hard disk
    whilst at the same time copy 2Gb of data via 100Mbit
    network card to same hard disk and listen to uniterrupted
    MP3 music all at the same time from same 750MHz Duron
    PC with 256Mb of RAM running Mepis, Knoppix etc.
    7, Jan 8, 2006

  2. 7

    Santa Guest

    "7" <> wrote in message
    >B Gruff wrote:
    >

    >> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1908908,00.asp
    >>
    >> In short, Microsoft is devoting considerable effort to challenging the
    >> theory that Linux can run on lower-spec (legacy/old) hardware than can MS
    >> products.
    >>
    >> Worth reading, if only to catch a glimpse of the next "Get The Facts"
    >> round:)

    > Well here is a simplest of all windope challenges.
    > On a 750MHz Duron PC I can watch an mpeg movie
    > and burn 16x CD at the same time without interruption
    > from with files from the same hard disk. The system has 250Mb RAM.
    > I'm doing this with Mepis, Knoppix etc...
    > http://www.livecdlist.com
    > Anyone can reproduce this as all the software is free.

    So what? I had an Athlon 800Mhz with 128Mb ram a few years ago and it would
    be more than capable of doing that running Windows 98, 2000 or XP.

    > Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
    > such performance despite having to pay for
    > a legacy operating system.
    >
    > Here is another:
    >
    > I can burn 4Gb (14,000+ files) to DVD from my hard disk
    > whilst at the same time copy 2Gb of data via 100Mbit
    > network card to same hard disk and listen to uniterrupted
    > MP3 music all at the same time from same 750MHz Duron
    > PC with 256Mb of RAM running Mepis, Knoppix etc.

    Again, nothing special there. I'd expect any operating system to be cabable
    of doing the same with similar hardware.
    Santa, Jan 8, 2006

  3. 7

    7 Guest

    Santa wrote:

    > "7" <> wrote in message
    >>B Gruff wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1908908,00.asp
    >>>
    >>> In short, Microsoft is devoting considerable effort to challenging the
    >>> theory that Linux can run on lower-spec (legacy/old) hardware than can
    >>> MS products.
    >>>
    >>> Worth reading, if only to catch a glimpse of the next "Get The Facts"
    >>> round:)

    >> Well here is a simplest of all windope challenges.
    >> On a 750MHz Duron PC I can watch an mpeg movie
    >> and burn 16x CD at the same time without interruption
    >> from with files from the same hard disk. The system has 250Mb RAM.
    >> I'm doing this with Mepis, Knoppix etc...
    >> http://www.livecdlist.com
    >> Anyone can reproduce this as all the software is free.

    > So what? I had an Athlon 800Mhz with 128Mb ram a few years ago and it
    > would be more than capable of doing that running Windows 98, 2000 or XP.

    BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHA!!!
    'would be'
    Have you tried it then?

    >> Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
    >> such performance despite having to pay for
    >> a legacy operating system.
    >>
    >> Here is another:
    >>
    >> I can burn 4Gb (14,000+ files) to DVD from my hard disk
    >> whilst at the same time copy 2Gb of data via 100Mbit
    >> network card to same hard disk and listen to uniterrupted
    >> MP3 music all at the same time from same 750MHz Duron
    >> PC with 256Mb of RAM running Mepis, Knoppix etc.
    >>

    > Again, nothing special there. I'd expect any operating system to be
    > cabable of doing the same with similar hardware.

    BWAAAAA..
    Liar!!
    ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    7, Jan 8, 2006
  4. On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:10:42 +0000, 7 wrote:

    > Well here is a simplest of all windope challenges.
    > On a 750MHz Duron PC I can watch an mpeg movie
    > and burn 16x CD at the same time without interruption
    > from with files from the same hard disk. The system has 250Mb RAM.
    > I'm doing this with Mepis, Knoppix etc...
    > http://www.livecdlist.com
    > Anyone can reproduce this as all the software is free.
    >
    > Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
    > such performance despite having to pay for
    > a legacy operating system.
    >
    > Here is another:
    >
    > I can burn 4Gb (14,000+ files) to DVD from my hard disk
    > whilst at the same time copy 2Gb of data via 100Mbit
    > network card to same hard disk and listen to uniterrupted
    > MP3 music all at the same time from same 750MHz Duron
    > PC with 256Mb of RAM running Mepis, Knoppix etc.

    Lienix "Advocates" Technique #13

    The *under-powered hardware troll*

    Sure, we all know you can run database servers, enlightenment
    burn DVD's, listen to MP3s and compile the kernel all at the same
    time on a PIII with 128M of RAM.

    Sure you can.

    This troll is a classic used by Kelsey, Rapskat, 7 and others
    in the LIEnix cult.

    --
    Never trust a Linux Advocate.
    Words are cheap. Linux advocates' words are worthless.
    Linux Exposer, Jan 8, 2006
  5. 7

    7 Guest

    Astroturfer working form micoshaft pretending to be a Linux Exposer wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:10:42 +0000, 7 wrote:
    >

    >> Well here is a simplest of all windope challenges.
    >> On a 750MHz Duron PC I can watch an mpeg movie
    >> and burn 16x CD at the same time without interruption
    >> from with files from the same hard disk. The system has 250Mb RAM.
    >> I'm doing this with Mepis, Knoppix etc...
    >> http://www.livecdlist.com
    >> Anyone can reproduce this as all the software is free.
    >>
    >> Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
    >> such performance despite having to pay for
    >> a legacy operating system.
    >>
    >> Here is another:
    >>
    >> I can burn 4Gb (14,000+ files) to DVD from my hard disk
    >> whilst at the same time copy 2Gb of data via 100Mbit
    >> network card to same hard disk and listen to uniterrupted
    >> MP3 music all at the same time from same 750MHz Duron
    >> PC with 256Mb of RAM running Mepis, Knoppix etc.

    > Lienix "Advocates" Technique #13
    >
    > The *under-powered hardware troll*
    >
    > Sure, we all know you can run database servers, enlightenment
    > burn DVD's, listen to MP3s and compile the kernel all at the same
    > time on a PIII with 128M of RAM.
    >
    > Sure you can.
    >
    > This troll is a classic used by Kelsey, Rapskat, 7 and others
    > in the LIEnix cult.

    Lying windope trolls.
    GNU/Linux can do all that above - and its free, there is no-one
    stopping you from going to http://www.livecdlist.com and
    downloading a free copy of livecd and trying it out.
    These livecds come with source code so you can do as you like
    with it, like run desktop, browsing, e-mail, www server,
    ftp server, ssh serer etc...
    All free.
    And all faster than windope software by a million miles
    despite you having to pay for windopes - the bit that doesn't
    make sense until you try see the difference.

    These astroturfers need money stolen from charities to function.
    Only one way for money to be given for astroturfing and that
    is to steal from kiddies cradles whilst protecting the
    donor because of charity disclosure laws.

    Don't listen to these windope bums.
    They are a fscking waste of space.
    7, Jan 8, 2006
  6. 7

    Leythos Guest

    In article <mEZvf.22320$>,
    says...
    > Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
    > such performance despite having to pay for
    > a legacy operating system.

    Let's see, I run Windows XP, 2000, 2003, and also Linux FC4, FC3, and
    Mandrake 10 currently on different systems.

    With the exception of FC4, almost all of the linux solutions have issues
    with my Wireless network cards, my non-postscript printers, the wide-
    screen resolutions of my laptops, not to mention that I can't play my
    currently wanted online games or even many of the games that I like to
    play on any of the Linux platforms.

    Linux is a great platform, but it's not ideal for all users in all
    cases. Windows XP is a great platform, but it also has its place.

    While I know that your trolling, it seems simple to understand, from a
    person that uses BOTH platforms, that you don't really have a clue.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Jan 8, 2006
  7. 7

    kenny Guest

    Windows is more cost effective than linux, it is cheaper to use and maintain
    update - upgrade computers with windows than with linux.
    People learn to use and be productive on the MS platform far faster.

    Think of all the time that would be wasted from people trying to install a
    program (THEY WANT not the ones that come with the distro), or connect a new
    hardware.

    In other words, if suddenly my some satanic magical force all computers were
    formatted and had linux installed on them... almost no work would be done on
    planet earth. I am talking about workstations.

    Linux is good as servers where only computer experts handle them. There are
    practically no professional quality programs for using it as
    a workstation.

    You see... the more advanced a technology is, the easier it is for a person
    with no computer training to use it. Advanced technology
    makes a persons life easier.

    You have to face reality... and that is that linux is good only for the
    people that have time or its their hobby to mess around with computers.

    Kenny

    kenny, Jan 8, 2006
  8. 7

    kenny Guest

    linux is so bad, that even if they give away for free... the majority of
    people still dont want it!

    I have tested many versions of linux, trying to find a reason to like it....
    but sorry...
    its too lame for a workstation!

    When vista comes out, I will be the first to buy it, pay MS for a product
    that
    gives you extreme flexibility and the ability to produce work and make more
    money out of that investment.

    Windows is a tool, linux is a hobby.

    kenny, Jan 8, 2006
  9. 7

    7 Guest

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <mEZvf.22320$>,
    > says...
    >> Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
    >> such performance despite having to pay for
    >> a legacy operating system.

    > Let's see, I run Windows XP, 2000, 2003, and also Linux FC4, FC3, and
    > Mandrake 10 currently on different systems.
    >
    > With the exception of FC4, almost all of the linux solutions have issues
    > with my Wireless network cards,

    What it really means is that you don't how to use
    a harware compatibility list and such dumb asses need to be sacked.

    > my non-postscript printers, the wide-
    > screen resolutions of my laptops, not to mention that I can't play my
    > currently wanted online games or even many of the games that I like to
    > play on any of the Linux platforms.
    >
    > Linux is a great platform, but it's not ideal for all users in all
    > cases. Windows XP is a great platform, but it also has its place.
    >
    > While I know that your trolling, it seems simple to understand, from a
    > person that uses BOTH platforms, that you don't really have a clue.

    You being a payee and still come out a luzer and a company liability means
    you are clueless and need to be sacked and replaced
    with someone who knows what they are doing.
    7, Jan 8, 2006
  10. 7

    Junk Guest

    7 wrote:

    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    >> In article <mEZvf.22320$>,
    >> says...
    >>> Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
    >>> such performance despite having to pay for
    >>> a legacy operating system.

    >> Let's see, I run Windows XP, 2000, 2003, and also Linux FC4, FC3, and
    >> Mandrake 10 currently on different systems.
    >>
    >> With the exception of FC4, almost all of the linux solutions have issues
    >> with my Wireless network cards,

    > What it really means is that you don't how to use
    > a harware compatibility list and such dumb asses need to be sacked.
    >

    >> my non-postscript printers, the wide-
    >> screen resolutions of my laptops, not to mention that I can't play my
    >> currently wanted online games or even many of the games that I like to
    >> play on any of the Linux platforms.
    >>
    >> Linux is a great platform, but it's not ideal for all users in all
    >> cases. Windows XP is a great platform, but it also has its place.
    >>
    >> While I know that your trolling, it seems simple to understand, from a
    >> person that uses BOTH platforms, that you don't really have a clue.

    > You being a payee and still come out a luzer and a company liability means
    > you are clueless and need to be sacked and replaced
    > with someone who knows what they are doing.

    **** sake, your doing a wonderfull job of putting off anyone who's thinking
    of trying Linux. Perhaps that's the point?
    Junk, Jan 8, 2006
  11. 7

    7 Guest

    "kenny" <-> wrote:

    > Windows is more cost effective than linux

    Not true any more.
    Take Novel for example have full suit of programs
    to switch everthing from legacy windope systems to
    Linux systems and they fully support Linux for the
    corporate environment.

    > Think of all the time that would be wasted from people trying to install a
    > program (THEY WANT not the ones that come with the distro), or connect a
    > new hardware.

    Linux has the biggest hardware compatibility list on the planet out of the
    box. You should check it before buying nevertheless.
    If you end up looking like a windope with hardware
    only working on one platform, you might want to think
    what the future holds - you might get the sack for being
    so stupid in your hardware choices. You certainly deserve to be sacked!
    And the mere fact that you can't a compatibility list
    before you buy, and also check who are open source drier friendly,
    means you are a corporate liability if you continue to make
    appauling choices of narrow minded manufacturers for your hardware.

    > In other words, if suddenly my some satanic magical force all computers
    > were formatted and had linux installed on them... almost no work would be
    > done on planet earth. I am talking about workstations.

    Thats not true - GNU/Linux has the biggest hardware
    compatibility list on the planet out of the box.
    A lot of windope paid astroturfers go around showing themselves out
    as fools for not being able to choose hardware properly.
    Don't join them and their habbits. Its certainly a sackable
    offence if you continue to choose hardware that runs
    on a restricted set of platforms because you are dumb and
    continue to prove to management you are a waste of space.

    > Linux is good as servers where only computer experts handle them. There
    > are practically no professional quality programs for using it as
    > a workstation.

    Not true - Open Office does everything and its free.
    It comes with spreadsheet, presentation package, a visio like drawing
    package able to hand transluencies, an access like database, and many
    features simply not possible with windopes. I mean windopes can't
    even open legacy office files. Its down to Open Office to do that!!!

    > You see... the more advanced a technology is, the easier it is for a
    > person with no computer training to use it. Advanced technology
    > makes a persons life easier.

    TOo right - so get down to using the hundreds of free liveCDs out there.
    http://www.livecdlist.com

    There are desktop replacment version, to scientific ones, PC diagnostics,
    specialist astronomy based, music and video based specilist liveCDs etc
    etc.. More choices than any windope system you could purchase
    with more features than anything you get for love of money.
    I mean the Quantian distro or the lastest Open Suse distro - they
    are massive with loads of stuff.

    > You have to face reality... and that is that linux is good only for the
    > people that have time or its their hobby to mess around with computers.

    Windopes is for dinosaurs - its legacy stuff thats losing all edge.
    So train yourself up on free GNU/Linux.
    Its a lot better than getting stuck with virus infected crap
    that doesn't have fixes despite paying money for it.

    7, Jan 8, 2006
  12. 7

    7 Guest

    Junk wrote:

    > 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Leythos wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <mEZvf.22320$>,
    >>> says...
    >>>
    >>> Let's see, I run Windows XP, 2000, 2003, and also Linux FC4, FC3, and
    >>> Mandrake 10 currently on different systems.
    >>>
    >>> With the exception of FC4, almost all of the linux solutions have issues
    >>> with my Wireless network cards,

    >> What it really means is that you don't how to use
    >> a harware compatibility list and such dumb asses need to be sacked.
    >>

    >>> my non-postscript printers, the wide-
    >>> screen resolutions of my laptops, not to mention that I can't play my
    >>> currently wanted online games or even many of the games that I like to
    >>> play on any of the Linux platforms.
    >>>
    >>> Linux is a great platform, but it's not ideal for all users in all
    >>> cases. Windows XP is a great platform, but it also has its place.
    >>>
    >>> While I know that your trolling, it seems simple to understand, from a
    >>> person that uses BOTH platforms, that you don't really have a clue.

    >> You being a payee and still come out a luzer and a company liability
    >> means you are clueless and need to be sacked and replaced
    >> with someone who knows what they are doing.

    > **** sake, your doing a wonderfull job of putting off anyone who's
    > thinking of trying Linux. Perhaps that's the point?

    Somehow I don't think so.

    You pressed F1 and clippy told you to say that!
    Micoshafts astroturfers upset about what?
    I thought they had the stomach to steal from kiddies
    and their cradle by robbing charities of their donations to
    feed an astroturfing community. What happened? Can't stomach it?
    7, Jan 8, 2006
  13. 7

    Leythos Guest

    In article <oz_vf.22334$>,
    says...
    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    > > In article <mEZvf.22320$>,
    > > says...
    > >> Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
    > >> such performance despite having to pay for
    > >> a legacy operating system.

    > > Let's see, I run Windows XP, 2000, 2003, and also Linux FC4, FC3, and
    > > Mandrake 10 currently on different systems.
    > >
    > > With the exception of FC4, almost all of the linux solutions have issues
    > > with my Wireless network cards,

    > What it really means is that you don't how to use
    > a harware compatibility list and such dumb asses need to be sacked.

    Funny, as I already know about HCL and I you seem to not be smart enough
    to understand why people use Windows - they use it, as I pointed out,
    because it works with almost everything on the market.

    > > my non-postscript printers, the wide-
    > > screen resolutions of my laptops, not to mention that I can't play my
    > > currently wanted online games or even many of the games that I like to
    > > play on any of the Linux platforms.
    > >
    > > Linux is a great platform, but it's not ideal for all users in all
    > > cases. Windows XP is a great platform, but it also has its place.
    > >
    > > While I know that your trolling, it seems simple to understand, from a
    > > person that uses BOTH platforms, that you don't really have a clue.

    > You being a payee and still come out a luzer and a company liability means
    > you are clueless and need to be sacked and replaced
    > with someone who knows what they are doing.

    You only wish it were true. What it means is that I understand the
    limitations and Strengths of both platforms and am not blinded by hype
    or zealotry.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Jan 8, 2006
  14. 7

    7 Guest

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <oz_vf.22334$>,
    > says...
    >> Leythos wrote:
    >>
    >> > In article <mEZvf.22320$>,
    >> > says...
    >> >
    >> > Let's see, I run Windows XP, 2000, 2003, and also Linux FC4, FC3, and
    >> > Mandrake 10 currently on different systems.
    >> >
    >> > With the exception of FC4, almost all of the linux solutions have
    >> > issues with my Wireless network cards,

    >> What it really means is that you don't how to use
    >> a harware compatibility list and such dumb asses need to be sacked.

    > Funny, as I already know about HCL and I you seem to not be smart enough

    How come if you know about HCL you are not smart enough to use it???
    And why would anyone want to employ you if blow both right
    and wrong answer in the same sentence?

    > to understand why people use Windows - they use it, as I pointed out,
    > because it works with almost everything on the market.

    >> > my non-postscript printers, the wide-
    >> > screen resolutions of my laptops, not to mention that I can't play my
    >> > currently wanted online games or even many of the games that I like to
    >> > play on any of the Linux platforms.
    >> >
    >> > Linux is a great platform, but it's not ideal for all users in all
    >> > cases. Windows XP is a great platform, but it also has its place.
    >> >
    >> > While I know that your trolling, it seems simple to understand, from a
    >> > person that uses BOTH platforms, that you don't really have a clue.

    >> You being a payee and still come out a luzer and a company liability
    >> means you are clueless and need to be sacked and replaced
    >> with someone who knows what they are doing.

    > You only wish it were true. What it means is that I understand the
    > limitations and Strengths of both platforms and am not blinded by hype
    > or zealotry.

    Spoken like a true blind windope zealot.
    It an office environment you would clock up loads of
    money donating it all to micoshaft and end up
    with a poor productivity environment.
    Why?
    Because you can blow both right and wrong answer in the same sentence.
    7, Jan 8, 2006
  15. 7

    Donald Guest

    Me thinks Bill Gates is here pushing Vista lol

    Donald, Jan 8, 2006
  16. 7

    Leythos Guest

    In article <f6%vf.22341$>,
    says...
    > Spoken like a true blind windope zealot.
    > It an office environment you would clock up loads of
    > money donating it all to micoshaft and end up
    > with a poor productivity environment.
    > Why?
    > Because you can blow both right and wrong answer in the same sentence.

    Funny, I have clients using both platforms in the same office.

    If you're too dense to understand what I said, which you appear not too,
    then I feel sorry for you.

    While I could purchase hardware on the FC4 HCL, that does not mean it's
    supported by Mandrake, not does it mean that it's supported by Windows
    XP. Since we don't have much need for Wireless, only our Windows laptops
    really need it, and that's what I was talking about - none of our
    laptops that came with build-in (knowing we were only going to use them
    with XP and 2003) support Linux for their wireless cards (which wasn't a
    concern).

    How about you visit the Linux groups and read the threads where all the
    noobs post about their new printer not working... The point is that
    while Linux is a great platform, it's not for everyone and has less
    hardware support from vendors than does Windows, which makes it more
    limited than Windows is currently.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Jan 8, 2006
  17. 7

    kenny Guest

    I know the list, I have downloaded and tried lots of those over the years,
    as well as disk installations. I even have some loaded on vmware right
    now...

    I am a knowledgeable user, that still thinks linux is not good enough yet!

    kenny, Jan 8, 2006
  18. 7

    Skeets Guest

    Santa wrote:
    > "7" <> wrote in message
    > >B Gruff wrote:
    > >

    > >> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1908908,00.asp
    > >>
    > >> In short, Microsoft is devoting considerable effort to challenging the
    > >> theory that Linux can run on lower-spec (legacy/old) hardware than can MS
    > >> products.
    > >>
    > >> Worth reading, if only to catch a glimpse of the next "Get The Facts"
    > >> round:)

    > > Well here is a simplest of all windope challenges.
    > > On a 750MHz Duron PC I can watch an mpeg movie
    > > and burn 16x CD at the same time without interruption
    > > from with files from the same hard disk. The system has 250Mb RAM.
    > > I'm doing this with Mepis, Knoppix etc...
    > > http://www.livecdlist.com
    > > Anyone can reproduce this as all the software is free.

    > So what? I had an Athlon 800Mhz with 128Mb ram a few years ago and it would
    > be more than capable of doing that running Windows 98, 2000 or XP.
    >

    > > Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
    > > such performance despite having to pay for
    > > a legacy operating system.
    > >
    > > Here is another:
    > >
    > > I can burn 4Gb (14,000+ files) to DVD from my hard disk
    > > whilst at the same time copy 2Gb of data via 100Mbit
    > > network card to same hard disk and listen to uniterrupted
    > > MP3 music all at the same time from same 750MHz Duron
    > > PC with 256Mb of RAM running Mepis, Knoppix etc.
    > >

    > Again, nothing special there. I'd expect any operating system to be cabable
    > of doing the same with similar hardware.

    funny, i have over a 2 GHz box with 256 gig (i haven't tried with extra
    gig of ram) ram and i couldn't do *ANYTHING* while burning a dvd using
    sonic on win-freakin-xp!

    in fact, it would only burn coasters with cheaper media - and that is
    when it *only* was doing the dvd burning!

    onlinux, i can burn a 4.6 gig dvd, use bittorrent, surf the web,
    download files using right click and surf - all using th elow end media
    and it works perfect.

    oh, and play an uninterrupted wmf file in kaffeine...

    part of lying effectively is to tell at least a half truth. any
    windows user knows you can't do all this on your average windows box
    and get reliable results. i have windows and i know this.
    Skeets, Jan 8, 2006
  19. 7

    Skeets Guest

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <mEZvf.22320$>,
    > says...
    > > Lets see if micoshaft can anywhere near achieve
    > > such performance despite having to pay for
    > > a legacy operating system.

    > Let's see, I run Windows XP, 2000, 2003, and also Linux FC4, FC3, and
    > Mandrake 10 currently on different systems.
    >
    > With the exception of FC4, almost all of the linux solutions have issues
    > with my Wireless network cards, my non-postscript printers, the wide-
    > screen resolutions of my laptops, not to mention that I can't play my
    > currently wanted online games or even many of the games that I like to
    > play on any of the Linux platforms.
    >
    > Linux is a great platform, but it's not ideal for all users in all
    > cases. Windows XP is a great platform, but it also has its place.
    >
    > While I know that your trolling, it seems simple to understand, from a
    > person that uses BOTH platforms, that you don't really have a clue.
    >
    > --
    >

    > remove 999 in order to email me

    what you say is true. both have advantages over the other.

    i don't even want to go near wpa encryption vi ndiwrapper so i had to
    buy a network bridge for my linux box.

    i don't think my deskjet will work, although i haven't tried it.

    i have a dual boot, so it isn't too big a deal for me.

    if it was, though, linux would be tough to manage without some more
    tweaking.
    Skeets, Jan 8, 2006
  20. 7

    Skeets Guest

    kenny wrote:
    > Windows is more cost effective than linux, it is cheaper to use and maintain
    > update - upgrade computers with windows than with linux.
    > People learn to use and be productive on the MS platform far faster.
    > Think of all the time that would be wasted from people trying to install a
    > program (THEY WANT not the ones that come with the distro), or connect a new
    > hardware.
    >
    > In other words, if suddenly my some satanic magical force all computers were
    > formatted and had linux installed on them... almost no work would be done on
    > planet earth. I am talking about workstations.
    >
    > Linux is good as servers where only computer experts handle them. There are
    > practically no professional quality programs for using it as
    > a workstation.
    >
    > You see... the more advanced a technology is, the easier it is for a person
    > with no computer training to use it. Advanced technology
    > makes a persons life easier.
    >
    > You have to face reality... and that is that linux is good only for the
    > people that have time or its their hobby to mess around with computers.
    >

    > Kenny

    kenny, you souond like you don't know what a repository is... to think
    that installing software is difficult on linux shows your ignorance.

    click synaptic -> enter root password -> search repository for program
    -> mark for installation -> apply installation.

    it is pretty darn easy in the vast majority of cases.
    Skeets, Jan 8, 2006