Re: Microsoft breaks IE8 interoperability promise

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Aug 30, 2008.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Microsoft breaks IE8 interoperability promise
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/29/hakon_lie_ie8_interoperability/
    >
    >
    > "" This week, the promise was broken. It lasted less than six months. Now
    > that Internet Explorer IE8 beta 2 is released, we know that many, if not
    > most, pages viewed in IE8 will not be shown in standards mode by default.
    > The dirty secret is buried deep down in the «Compatibility view»
    > configuration panel, where the «Display intranet sites in Compatibility
    > View» box is checked by default. Thus, by default, intranet pages are not
    > viewed in standards mode. ""


    What a load of balony (typical of 'theregister' mind).


    I remember reading some guff on the compatability mode in a downloadable
    FAQ, so I dug it up again for you (so this is straight from the horses
    mouth (Microsoft))...

    What does Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 mean for my existing Web site and
    line-of-business applications?
    In keeping with the Interoperability Principles Microsoft® Chief
    Software Architect Ray Ozzie announced in February 2008, Internet
    Explorer 8 Beta 2 displays content in Internet Explorer 8 "Standards"
    mode by default. Enabling Internet Explorer 8 to display Web content in
    its most standards-compliant way by default is the right way to help
    move the Web forward. This big step in real-world interoperability
    allows us to:
    " Help Web developers and designers drive toward the ideal of "write
    once, run anywhere," freeing up more time to innovate versus modify
    content for different browsers
    " Address several major development and design pain points from
    previous Internet Explorer releases
    " Partner closely with Web standards working groups to be a key
    contributor in Web standards evolution
    Since announcing our decision to give top priority to Web standards
    interoperability, response from the Web community has been very
    positive. However, browsing in Internet Explorer 8 Standards mode may
    cause content written for previous versions of Internet Explorer to
    display differently than intended. There is a call to action for Web
    site developers to add a simple meta tag to their Web site that will
    ensure Internet Explorer 8 displays the page exactly as Internet
    Explorer 7 did.
    The tag is: <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7">.
    For guidance on applying the tag, visit our KB Article or the MSDN
    Internet Explorer Compatibility Center.
    Outside of developers adding the meta tag to their Web site, end users,
    and IT Professionals can also control the way Internet Explorer 8
    displays content. Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 introduces "Compatibility
    View," which represents a significant enhancement over the "Emulate
    IE7" functionality from Beta 1. When users click the Compatibility View
    button, Internet Explorer 8 remembers the Web site so that next time the
    user visits that site, they continue to view it in Compatibility View.
    In addition, all sites in the Intranet Zone are displayed by default
    using Compatibility View to ensure that intranet sites and applications
    built for Internet Explorer 7 continue to display correctly. IT
    Professionals can use Group Policy to control Compatibility View,
    including the list of sites displayed in Compatibility View.


    If Internet Explorer 8 has an Internet Explorer 7 Compatibility Mode,
    why is that not the default way Web sites are displayed so that Internet
    Explorer 8 is compatible with existing pages?
    Enabling Internet Explorer 8 to display Web content in its most
    standards compliant way by default is the right way to help move the Web
    forward. This big step in real-world interoperability allows us to:
    " Help Web developers and designers drive toward the ideal of "write
    once, run anywhere," freeing up more time to innovate versus modify
    content for different browsers
    " Address several major development and design pain points from
    previous Internet Explorer releases
    " Partner closely with Web standards working groups to be a key
    contributor in Web standards evolution


    Anyway, what do you think of IE8? how many sites have you found where
    the compatability mode (a mouse click on the IE8 main window) needs
    turning on?

    I've found the new features great. The only problem I've found thus far
    is an addon (Skype) that is not compatible with the new version.


    --
    Duncan
     
    Dave Doe, Aug 30, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Dave Doe

    impossible Guest

    "Carnations" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 20:57:00 +1200, Puddle wrote:
    >
    >> Carnations wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 20:16:56 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Anyway, what do you think of IE8? how many sites have you found where
    >>>> the compatability mode (a mouse click on the IE8 main window) needs
    >>>> turning on?
    >>>
    >>> Duh! Micro$oft Internet Explorer is only available on one platform
    >>> only.
    >>>
    >>> It is not available for *nix.

    >>
    >> So why are you worried about it?

    >
    > I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned that by
    > default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate in standards-
    > compliant mode for intranet sourced material.
    >
    > the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a standards-
    > compliant manner.
    >
    >


    CupaPee at his sily-bugger best! So you want to deploy the Standards Police
    to shut down every non-compliant intranet. Good thinking!!
     
    impossible, Aug 30, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Dave Doe

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Aug 30, 11:11 pm, Carnations <> wrote:
    > I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned that by
    > default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate in standards-
    > compliant mode for intranet sourced material.
    >
    > the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a standards-
    > compliant manner.


    Probably, but why are you "concerned" (but not worried) about this?
     
    Chris Lim, Aug 31, 2008
    #3
  4. Dave Doe

    Cima Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 16:38:37 -0700 (PDT), Chris Lim <>
    wrote:

    >On Aug 30, 11:11 pm, Carnations <> wrote:
    >> I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned that by
    >> default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate in standards-
    >> compliant mode for intranet sourced material.
    >>
    >> the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a standards-
    >> compliant manner.

    >
    >Probably, but why are you "concerned" (but not worried) about this?


    Heh, I'd be more concerned by having a woofter-ish nym like "Beautiful
    Carnations"!
     
    Cima, Aug 31, 2008
    #4
  5. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 20:57:00 +1200, Puddle wrote:
    >
    > > Carnations wrote:
    > >> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 20:16:56 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> Anyway, what do you think of IE8? how many sites have you found where
    > >>> the compatability mode (a mouse click on the IE8 main window) needs
    > >>> turning on?
    > >>
    > >> Duh! Micro$oft Internet Explorer is only available on one platform
    > >> only.
    > >>
    > >> It is not available for *nix.

    > >
    > > So why are you worried about it?

    >
    > I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned that by
    > default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate in standards-
    > compliant mode for intranet sourced material.


    Why? Surely it's normal practice, and good on MS for thinking of that
    option (that can be changed individually or by group policy), for
    intranet sites.

    How many sites, BTW, do you go to on a daily basis at:
    http://localhost
    ?


    > the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a standards-
    > compliant manner.


    No, quite normal to browse:
    http://companyweb, http://remote-web-mail in compatability mode, surely.

    And you can turn it off if you want.

    I've found lots of sites don't work unless your in compatability mode,
    eg. http://www.stuff.co.nz needs it (be a right pain for all those CMS
    developers to fix things - but as you say, it helps put pressure on the
    developers to be standards compliant.

    --
    Duncan
     
    Dave Doe, Aug 31, 2008
    #5
  6. Dave Doe

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-08-30, Carnations <> wrote:
    > I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned that by
    > default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate in standards-
    > compliant mode for intranet sourced material.
    >
    > the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a standards-
    > compliant manner.


    having IE8 being bug compatible with ealier versions will be
    convenient for intranet managers,

    if they didn't have this it could be a major obstacle to roll-out of
    ie8 in corporate environments.

    I expect there is or will be some 'tag' they can add to new content to turn
    this 'feature' off.

    Bye.
    Jasen
     
    Jasen Betts, Aug 31, 2008
    #6
  7. Dave Doe

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 16:38:37 -0700 (PDT), Chris Lim
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Aug 30, 11:11 pm, Carnations <> wrote:
    >>> I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned
    >>> that by default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate
    >>> in standards- compliant mode for intranet sourced material.
    >>>
    >>> the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a
    >>> standards- compliant manner.

    >>
    >> Probably, but why are you "concerned" (but not worried) about this?

    >
    > Heh, I'd be more concerned by having a woofter-ish nym like "Beautiful
    > Carnations"!


    It was Freesias not so long ago, before last he nym-shifted to escape the
    scorn (and killfiles) of folks.
    --
    Shaun.

    DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 31, 2008
    #7
  8. In article <48ba20d9$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
    >> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 16:38:37 -0700 (PDT), Chris Lim
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Aug 30, 11:11 pm, Carnations <> wrote:
    >>>> I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned
    >>>> that by default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate
    >>>> in standards- compliant mode for intranet sourced material.
    >>>>
    >>>> the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a
    >>>> standards- compliant manner.
    >>>
    >>> Probably, but why are you "concerned" (but not worried) about this?

    >>
    >> Heh, I'd be more concerned by having a woofter-ish nym like "Beautiful
    >> Carnations"!

    >
    >It was Freesias not so long ago, before last he nym-shifted to escape the
    >scorn (and killfiles) of folks.


    Sure ... but 2 posts from the new nym and straight back into the bucket he
    goes. By their posts shall ye know them. :)

    Why anyone bothers to read him or reply (hint ... the only reason I can see
    this at all is the replies :) ) still escapes me. :)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 1, 2008
    #8
  9. In article <1ihkfq884zwet.1jj3uqsch43jm$>, Bret <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:17:25 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> In article <48ba20d9$>, "~misfit~"

    > <> wrote:
    >>>Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
    >>>> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 16:38:37 -0700 (PDT), Chris Lim
    >>>> <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Aug 30, 11:11 pm, Carnations <> wrote:
    >>>>>> I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned
    >>>>>> that by default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate
    >>>>>> in standards- compliant mode for intranet sourced material.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a
    >>>>>> standards- compliant manner.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Probably, but why are you "concerned" (but not worried) about this?
    >>>>
    >>>> Heh, I'd be more concerned by having a woofter-ish nym like "Beautiful
    >>>> Carnations"!
    >>>
    >>>It was Freesias not so long ago, before last he nym-shifted to escape the
    >>>scorn (and killfiles) of folks.

    >>
    >> Sure ... but 2 posts from the new nym and straight back into the bucket he
    >> goes. By their posts shall ye know them. :)
    >>
    >> Why anyone bothers to read him or reply (hint ... the only reason I can see
    >> this at all is the replies :) ) still escapes me. :)

    >
    >Shit Bruce, you got me thinking now.


    My work here is done. <exits stage left, whistling >

    :)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 1, 2008
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. John Caruso
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    560
    John Caruso
    Apr 7, 2004
  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    ODF Plug-ins and a Microsoft Promise of Cooperation

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 7, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    338
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    May 7, 2006
  3. Brett Roberts

    Microsoft Open Specification Promise

    Brett Roberts, Sep 12, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    602
    jasen
    Sep 15, 2006
  4. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Re: Advantages of IE8/64 over IE8/32

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Aug 17, 2009, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    656
    PA Bear [MS MVP]
    Aug 17, 2009
  5. Willemina Kutje

    Re: Interoperability, Microsoft style

    Willemina Kutje, May 25, 2010, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    373
    Willemina Kutje
    May 25, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page