Re: Microsoft antispyware installation critical error 101

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Orak Listalavostok, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. T. B. W. wrote:
    > (Bernard Guide) wrote in
    >
    > > In article <UdMDd.12169$>,

    "Hanson
    > > White" <hwhite...@mic....com> wrote:
    > >>Error Loading Microsoft AntiSpyware
    > >>Warning, Microsoft AntiSpyware has encountered a critical error

    (Error
    > >>101). Please restart Microsoft AntiSpyware again.
    > >>If you continue to experience this problem, please contact

    Microsoft
    > >>technical support at for immediate
    > >>assistance.
    > >>
    > >>Does anyone else on Windows XP get this error?

    > > Hey. I've been getting the same installation error all day;
    > > but the email reported is "support @ giantcompany .com"
    > >
    > > Funny. Why would Microsoft use a support email address
    > > of "giantcompany.com" and not "microsoft.com"

    > Go to your start menu and hit settings and then control panel.
    > Doubleclick on the add and remove programs icon.
    > Remove the Microsoft AntiSpyware program.
    >
    > See. Problem solved!

    But won't that just remove the Microsoft antispyware program
    altogether?
    Perhaps you should press the CHANGE button (and not the REMOVE) button.
    Orak Listalavostok, Jan 8, 2005

  2. Orak Listalavostok

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 8 Jan 2005 00:23:25 -0800, "Orak Listalavostok"
    <> wrote:

    >But won't that just remove the Microsoft antispyware program
    >altogether?

    Probably the safest thing to do with Microsoft applications.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jan 8, 2005

  3. Orak Listalavostok

    Abe Guest

    >On 8 Jan 2005 00:23:25 -0800, "Orak Listalavostok"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>But won't that just remove the Microsoft antispyware program
    >>altogether?

    >Probably the safest thing to do with Microsoft applications.

    ---------
    I installed it. Works perfectly for me.
    Abe, Jan 8, 2005
  4. Orak Listalavostok

    Roger Abell Guest

    To pirate another MVP's (Robear's) post see the below paste . . .
    While this software is crafted to MS standards, the team is very
    interested in the feedback/experiences of the community.
    The best way to provide this so it does come to their attention
    is to please follow the requested actions, as pasted below.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

    At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    is being provided through the following Microsoft newsgroups:

    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

    These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP.

    To access these newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following location:

    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following information
    for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):

    - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
    - Account name: privatenews\spyware
    - Password: spyware

    NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link

    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

    Roger Abell, Jan 8, 2005
  5. Orak Listalavostok

    C.C. Chapman Guest

    "Roger Abell" <> wrote in news:u2mLOyZ9EHA.3840
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > To pirate another MVP's (Robear's) post see the below paste . . .
    > While this software is crafted to MS standards, the team is very
    > interested in the feedback/experiences of the community.
    > The best way to provide this so it does come to their attention
    > is to please follow the requested actions, as pasted below.

    I went there and they say to run:
    Start ... Run ... cmd ... OK
    (then type this line and then press enter)
    net start "Windows Installer"
    C.C. Chapman, Jan 8, 2005
  6. Microsoft's record on security is laughable. I would not use any of their
    security products. Spybot is free and has high ratings.

    Sabu

    Robert Morrisette, Jan 8, 2005
  7. Orak Listalavostok

    Mark Randall Guest

    .... Microsoft wasnt the backbone on this, GIANT was.

    You will probably find users abilities to use intelligence to stay safe is
    more laughable than MS security.

    - MR

    Mark Randall, Jan 8, 2005
  8. On the Microsoft private newsgroups, tons of installation problems with
    the GIANI Microsoft antispyware have been reported. In those private
    newsgroups, I see mention that this command might solve the "critical
    error 101" epidemic.

    Start / Run / cmd / OK
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe -Embedding
    Orak Listalavostok, Jan 9, 2005
  9. On 8 Jan 2005 23:19:52 -0800, Orak Listalavostok wrote:

    > On the Microsoft private newsgroups, tons of installation problems with
    > the GIANI Microsoft antispyware have been reported. In those private
    > newsgroups, I see mention that this command might solve the "critical
    > error 101" epidemic.
    >
    > Start / Run / cmd / OK
    > C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe -Embedding

    I ran that command but got an error.
    What did I do wrong.
    I'm positive my installation of GIANT anti-spyware is in
    c:\My Program Files\Spyware Programs\Microsoft\

    I ran this command:
    C:\My Program Files\Spyware Programs\Microsoft\gcasDtServ.exe -Embedding
    but I got the error:
    Windows cannot find 'My'.
    Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.

    I am POSITIVE I typed the name correctly!
    Why can't Microsoft operating systems read their own file names?
    Alessandro Crugnola, Jan 9, 2005
  10. Orak Listalavostok

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:32:51 GMT, "Robert Morrisette"
    <> wrote:

    >Microsoft's record on security is laughable. I would not use any of their
    >security products. Spybot is free and has high ratings.

    Spybot seems to have lost its edge in dealing with the more
    recent PIA software that we are finding on the machines of
    stupid people.

    I've gone back to adaware, which is much improved over
    V6 which we stopped using in favour of Spybot.

    Given that MS is beta testing its product, I'll wait and see how
    that turns out. If its as good as Outlook and IE, they can keep it.

    Having moved to IE5 because there were websites that did not
    render in Netscape properly, I am now finding that some lock up
    with IE6 so I use Firefox, which seems more robust.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jan 9, 2005
  11. In article <>,
    Alessandro Crugnola <> wrote:

    >I ran this command:
    >C:\My Program Files\Spyware Programs\Microsoft\gcasDtServ.exe -Embedding
    >but I got the error:
    >Windows cannot find 'My'.
    >Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.
    >
    >I am POSITIVE I typed the name correctly!
    >Why can't Microsoft operating systems read their own file names?

    No, you didn't type it correctly. Because the directory has imbedded
    blanks, it must be enclosed in quotes. Try:

    C:\"My Program Files\Spyware Programs\Microsoft\gcasDtServ.exe" -Embedding

    Rich Greenberg, Jan 9, 2005
  12. On 9 Jan 2005 11:55:55 -0500, Rich Greenberg wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Alessandro Crugnola <> wrote:
    >
    >>I ran this command:
    >>C:\My Program Files\Spyware Programs\Microsoft\gcasDtServ.exe -Embedding
    >>but I got the error:
    >>Windows cannot find 'My'.
    >>Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.
    >>
    >>I am POSITIVE I typed the name correctly!
    >>Why can't Microsoft operating systems read their own file names?

    > No, you didn't type it correctly. Because the directory has imbedded
    > blanks, it must be enclosed in quotes. Try:
    >
    > C:\"My Program Files\Spyware Programs\Microsoft\gcasDtServ.exe" -Embedding

    This worked!
    Thank you all so very much for the volunteer help!
    I *thought* I typed it correctly but I did not use any quotes.
    I was sure the blanks were handled properly by Windows XP.
    XP seems to handle blanks just fine on the DOS command line.
    So I just figured XP handled those blanks on the START command line.
    I was wrong.

    I have no idea what the spywear "Embedding" option does, but, it FIXED the
    errors I was having when I ran the Microsoft anti-spyware program! Just
    having run the embedding command once, I can now run the Microsoft
    antispyware program as many times as I like simply by double clicking on
    the shortcut which has a target of:
    "C:\My Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\GIANTAntiSpywareMain.exe"

    Does anyone know what that embedding option actually does?

    Anyway, thank you so very much for the expert volunteer help!
    I hope I can pay you back with a quick review or something.
    AC
    Alessandro Crugnola, Jan 9, 2005
  13. Orak Listalavostok

    Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:32:51 GMT, "Robert Morrisette"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Microsoft's record on security is laughable. I would not use any of

    their
    > >security products. Spybot is free and has high ratings.

    > Spybot seems to have lost its edge in dealing with the more
    > recent PIA software that we are finding on the machines of
    > stupid people.
    >
    > I've gone back to adaware, which is much improved over
    > V6 which we stopped using in favour of Spybot.
    >
    > Given that MS is beta testing its product, I'll wait and see how
    > that turns out. If its as good as Outlook and IE, they can keep it.

    In addition, the MS version has real time spyware blocking. Correct me
    if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the free version of Adaware does
    this...
    , Jan 10, 2005
  14. Orak Listalavostok

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 10 Jan 2005 07:22:29 -0800, wrote:

    >Jim Watt wrote:
    >> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:32:51 GMT, "Robert Morrisette"
    >> <> wrote:

    >> I've gone back to adaware, which is much improved over
    >> V6 which we stopped using in favour of Spybot.
    >>
    >> Given that MS is beta testing its product, I'll wait and see how
    >> that turns out. If its as good as Outlook and IE, they can keep it.

    >In addition, the MS version has real time spyware blocking. Correct me
    >if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the free version of Adaware does
    >this...

    Sounds like another way to lose CPU cycles, by the time you are
    running anti-virus software, a firewall and spyware protection is
    there any processing power left for actual work ...

    It sounds like applying more layers of sticking plaster to the bathtub
    rather than fixing the leaks to me.

    But I found a wonderful tool which cures the problems with IE6
    its called Firefox.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jan 10, 2005
  15. Orak Listalavostok

    Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On 10 Jan 2005 07:22:29 -0800, wrote:
    >

    > >Jim Watt wrote:
    > >> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:32:51 GMT, "Robert Morrisette"
    > >> <> wrote:

    > >> I've gone back to adaware, which is much improved over
    > >> V6 which we stopped using in favour of Spybot.
    > >>
    > >> Given that MS is beta testing its product, I'll wait and see how
    > >> that turns out. If its as good as Outlook and IE, they can keep

    it.

    > >In addition, the MS version has real time spyware blocking. Correct

    me
    > >if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the free version of Adaware does
    > >this...

    > Sounds like another way to lose CPU cycles, by the time you are
    > running anti-virus software, a firewall and spyware protection is
    > there any processing power left for actual work ...

    Oh come on. This stuff is lightweight. SP2 all by itself does a great
    job at reducing popups and malicious activeX controls.

    > It sounds like applying more layers of sticking plaster to the

    bathtub
    > rather than fixing the leaks to me.

    Nonsense. This crap can get installed by a standard installation
    program, completely independant of IE or Outlook.

    Christ, you guys bitch when Microsoft builds this stuff into their
    software, now you're bitching when they don't! Gimme a break!
    , Jan 10, 2005
  16. Orak Listalavostok

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 10 Jan 2005 11:34:39 -0800, wrote:

    >Oh come on. This stuff is lightweight. SP2 all by itself does a great
    >job at reducing popups and malicious activeX controls.

    SP2 ? surely you don't think I'm running XP.

    >Nonsense. This crap can get installed by a standard installation
    >program, completely independant of IE or Outlook.

    Outlook ? Not on this machine.

    >Christ, you guys bitch when Microsoft builds this stuff into their
    >software, now you're bitching when they don't! Gimme a break!

    If the software was properly designed and implemented it would
    not need all the patches and kludges to be able to do the job
    it should ... run useful applications.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com