Re: Microsoft 96.97%, Linux 0.36%

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Respondant, Aug 30, 2006.

  1. Respondant

    Respondant Guest

    Addendum;

    Respondant wrote:
    > SgtMinor wrote:
    >
    >> Respondant wrote:

    >>> Perhaps you need to learn the definition of the word, 'monopoly'?
    >>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define:monopoly
    >>>
    >>> 1. (economics) a market in which there are many buyers but only one
    >>> seller;
    >>>

    >>> Correct.
    >>>

    >> The longer you persist with this line of argument, the dumber
    >> you're going to look. Perhaps not 100% dumb, but dumb enough.

    > Until now I wasn't arguing *anything* other than the definition of
    > the word 'monopoly'.
    >
    >> From: http://economics.about.com/cs/microeconomics/a/monopoly.htm
    >>
    >> "Features of a Monopoly
    >>
    >> When we discuss a monopoly, or oligopoly, etc. we're discussing
    >> the market for a particular type of product, such as toasters or
    >> DVD players. In the textbook case of a monopoly, there is only one
    >> firm producing the good.

    > Which is obviously not the case as it pertains to this discussion, so
    > you just shot yourself in the foot. Again.
    >
    >> In a real world monopoly, such as the operating system monopoly,
    >> there is one firm that provides the overwhelming majority of sales
    >> (Microsoft), and a handful of small companies that have little or
    >> no impact on the dominant firm."

    > I love that. A "real world monopoly".
    >
    > Who defined the "real world"? An Apple employee? :)
    >
    > But just for the sake of argument let's say I accept the terminology.
    > So what? Whose fault is that? Last time I checked this was still
    > America. (Although it's getting more and more difficult to tell these
    > days) Land of free enterprise. There is nothing stopping you or
    > anyone else from building a better mousetrap, (pun intended) and
    > marketing it to the public.

    Yes. I KNOW Usenet is world-wide, so before anybody gets a bug up their ass
    and starts down that road, I wrote what I wrote above because ALL parties
    involved in this little portion of the thread are based in America. MS,
    Apple, Sgt Minor, and myself.

    Respondant, Aug 30, 2006