Re: Microscope optics field of view

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Nov 28, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 27, 6:56 am, Mike B <someone@noplace> wrote:
    > Any optics gurus here?
    > I have a no-name brand stereo microscope with a 10x wide field eyepiece and a 2x
    > objective. It's great except the magnification is too high so I purchaseda pair
    > of 5x wide field eyepieces thinking that the reduced magnification would result
    > in a wider field of view, but I was wrong. Although the magnification is half,
    > the field of view is also half the size which means I'm seeing the same image,
    > but smaller which puts me back to square one.
    >
    > There seems to be many kinds of optical designs for eyepiece . Does anyone know
    > what kind of eyepiece I should of specified. The optics world is somewhat
    > bewildering.
    >
    > Mike

    Cheap microscopes often have eyepiece tube diameters that do not
    permit large enough field lenses (the lens at the bottom of the
    eyepiece) to accommodate a wide field of view. Wide field microscope
    eyepieces are usually marked, "WA" but it's no guarantee you will
    actually get a wild field. If the eyepiece tubes of the microscope
    are less than 1.25" in internal diameter, lower power likely will not
    increase field size no matter what eyepiece is used. On the plus
    side, using better eyepieces might improve overall optical
    performance.
    For decent stereo microscopes, look for used in good condition, Wild,
    Olympus, Reichert or Zeiss.

    RichA, Nov 28, 2012