Re: Micro Four Thirds - What to buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 8, 2013.

  1. Eric Stevens <> writes:

    > A friend of mine is looking to buy a new camera and has asked for my
    > comments. I suspect he is mainly interested in a light-weight camera
    > for use on his numerous travels and is not a serious amatuer
    > photographer. He has written in an email:
    >
    > "I don't know whether to buy a Panasonic G3 or the more recent G5.
    > Price is not an issue, but the G3 is smaller and lighter which is
    > good, but the G5 has a sharper LCD screen plus a few more features,
    > so. They both get a very even number of marks from me."
    >
    > ... which gives some idea of what is important to him.
    >
    > I don't know anything much about this class of camera and would be
    > grateful for any helpful comments from those who know them.

    Some Olympus body. In-body image stabilization is a wonderful thing,
    and many of the best lenses, being made by Olympus don't have in-lens
    stabilization. (Plus the huge range of lenses you can adapt don't, but
    they all benefit from it with in-body stabilization.)

    There are some new cheaper ones with the same sensor as in the OM-D
    em-5-spqr or whatever the hell the top model is called.
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 8, 2013

  2. David Dyer-Bennet

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    >Eric Stevens <> writes:
    >
    >> A friend of mine is looking to buy a new camera and has asked for my
    >> comments. I suspect he is mainly interested in a light-weight camera
    >> for use on his numerous travels and is not a serious amatuer
    >> photographer. He has written in an email:
    >>
    >> "I don't know whether to buy a Panasonic G3 or the more recent G5.
    >> Price is not an issue, but the G3 is smaller and lighter which is
    >> good, but the G5 has a sharper LCD screen plus a few more features,
    >> so. They both get a very even number of marks from me."
    >>
    >> ... which gives some idea of what is important to him.
    >>
    >> I don't know anything much about this class of camera and would be
    >> grateful for any helpful comments from those who know them.

    >Some Olympus body. In-body image stabilization is a wonderful thing,
    >and many of the best lenses, being made by Olympus don't have in-lens
    >stabilization. (Plus the huge range of lenses you can adapt don't, but
    >they all benefit from it with in-body stabilization.)
    >
    >There are some new cheaper ones with the same sensor as in the OM-D
    >em-5-spqr or whatever the hell the top model is called.

    The E-PM2 and E-PL5 appear to have the same sensor as the OM-D.
    The have IBIS, though it may not be 5-axis like the OM-D. And of course
    they take all the same lenses.

    --
    Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
    pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor
    Paul Ciszek, Feb 9, 2013