Re: Micro Four Thirds - What to buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Ciszek, Feb 8, 2013.

  1. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    ray carter <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 11:10:59 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know anything much about this class of camera and would be
    >> grateful for any helpful comments from those who know them.

    >If he's interested in a M4/3 with a viewfinder, there are not many other
    >choices.

    The Olympus OM-D E-M5 comes with a viewfinder. An electronic one, but
    that is what you are going to get on micro-4/3 camera--no mirror. Some
    professionals seem to be adopting it as their primary camera. This guy
    has been getting some very nice shots with it:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brb_photography/sets/72157629928336655/with/8047735181/

    --
    Please reply to: | No nation is drunken where wine is cheap.
    pciszek at panix dot com | --Thomas Jefferson

    Paul Ciszek, Feb 8, 2013

  2. Paul Ciszek

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 12:12:28 +0000 (UTC),
    (Paul Ciszek) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >ray carter <> wrote:
    >>On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 11:10:59 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't know anything much about this class of camera and would be
    >>> grateful for any helpful comments from those who know them.

    >>If he's interested in a M4/3 with a viewfinder, there are not many other
    >>choices.

    >The Olympus OM-D E-M5 comes with a viewfinder. An electronic one, but
    >that is what you are going to get on micro-4/3 camera--no mirror. Some
    >professionals seem to be adopting it as their primary camera. This guy
    >has been getting some very nice shots with it:
    >
    >http://www.flickr.com/photos/brb_photography/sets/72157629928336655/with/8047735181/

    Nice. Can we always assume these are camera shots
    without post production?

    Peter Jason, Feb 8, 2013

  3. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    Peter Jason <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 12:12:28 +0000 (UTC),
    > (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
    >
    >>The Olympus OM-D E-M5 comes with a viewfinder. An electronic one, but
    >>that is what you are going to get on micro-4/3 camera--no mirror. Some
    >>professionals seem to be adopting it as their primary camera. This guy
    >>has been getting some very nice shots with it:
    >>
    >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/brb_photography/sets/72157629928336655/with/8047735181/

    >Nice. Can we always assume these are camera shots
    >without post production?

    I believe Mr. Bradford to be an honest man. I have visited some of the
    locations he has photographed (yea Colorado!) and my reaction to seeing
    his photos was "Hey, he managed to take a picture that shows what it
    really looks like. Why can't I do that?" One caveat: the OM-D offers
    quite a bit of tweaking even *without* doing any post-processing.

    He was able to take this picture of a juvenile golden eagle:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brb_photography/8263962659/sizes/l/in/set-72157629928336655/

    ....and print a crop of it at 30x45". Photoshop can't add resolution that
    isn't there, can it?

    --
    Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
    pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor

    Paul Ciszek, Feb 9, 2013
  4. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <kf6ipp$d56$>,
    Paul Ciszek <> wrote:

    >He was able to take this picture of a juvenile golden eagle:
    >http://www.flickr.com/photos/brb_photography/8263962659/sizes/l/in/set-72157629928336655/
    >
    >...and print a crop of it at 30x45". Photoshop can't add resolution that
    >isn't there, can it?

    Mea Culpa--that is a juvenile Bald eagle, not golden.

    Oh, and here he is with the large format print:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brb_photography/8450227030/in/photostream

    Paul Ciszek, Feb 9, 2013