Re: Micro Four Thirds - What to buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Feb 8, 2013.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 7, 6:13 pm, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 15:11:43 -0800, Savageduck
    >

    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > >On 2013-02-07 14:10:59 -0800, Eric Stevens <> said:

    > >> A friend of mine is looking to buy a new camera and has asked for  my
    > >> comments. I suspect he  is mainly interested in a light-weight camera
    > >> for use on his numerous travels and is not a serious amatuer
    > >> photographer. He has written in an email:

    > >>   "I don't know whether to buy a Panasonic G3 or the more recent G5.
    > >>    Price is not an issue, but the G3 is smaller and lighter which is
    > >>    good, but the G5 has a sharper LCD screen plus a few more features,
    > >>    so. They both get a very even number of marks from me."

    > >>   ... which gives some idea of what is important to him.

    > >> I don't know anything much about this class of camera and would be
    > >> grateful for any helpful comments from those who know them.

    > >The self appointed 4/3 king is Rich. However from what I can see there
    > >isn't too much between those two Panasonics.
    > >The major differences are in frame rate 6f/s vs 4f/s; HD video quality;
    > >MP4 video; Aluminum front plate vs plastic; improved battery life.

    > >Here is the dpreview comparison, cutting to the chase I would go for
    > >the newer and slightly better featured G5:
    > ><
    > >http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=panaso....

    > ><http://tinyurl.com/amsdn92>

    > I'm sorry. I didn't make myself clear. Are there any other cameras
    > hhshould be considering.
    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Eric Stevens

    Honestly, despite the superior Olympus sensor (now) I would stick to
    that price class when it provides an EVF, which means Panasonic. The
    G5 is probably a better bet because (personally) I found the G3 to be
    a bit too small and a bit less smooth to use than a standard DSLR.
    RichA, Feb 8, 2013