Re: Memtest stops at pass 78% and other problems....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pcbutts1, Jul 29, 2005.

  1. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Louise, <> wrote:

    > I'm trying to track down partial failures - some programs work most of
    > the time, some never work and some work sometimes.

    Sometimes you're a lot better off not owning anything.

    > This happened all of a sudden and the only even I know of was a brief
    > power failure or deep brownout.

    How do you know of was a brief power failure or deep brownout?

    > Whichever it was, the lights dimmed to almost nothing and came back up
    > within 30 seconds or maybe even less.

    Maybe somebody.

    > I have a UPS but I don't think it even got set off.

    Cool, get me a ups.

    > My computer worked fine for the rest of the night but when I shut down
    > and turned it on in the AM, some programs weren't loading properly, some
    > wouldn't load at all, and some were fine.

    I need more sleep!

    > This is an ASUS P4C800E Deluxe with 2 gig of Kingston ram (4 dimms), and
    > a 120gig Seagate SATA hard drive.

    You have spyware.

    > I checked the cables and they are tight.

    Are they really tight, Louise?

    > I ran chkdsk /f /r.

    You're going to get angry because I'm going to rat on you.

    > I ran a virus checker in addition to the one installed.

    You have spyware.

    > I defragged.

    You're sounding a little desperate because you're trying to build yourself
    up by tearing everybody else down.

    > Finally I restored a Ghost image from about 2 weeks ago.

    Could you be more imprecise?

    > This erratic behavior continued even with the restored image.

    The GOOD kind.

    > Seatools reports critical error on the NTFS file system even after I ran
    > chkdsk.

    One thing after another.

    > I just ran memtest and everything tested perfectly.

    Just checking out.

    > But suddenly, at pass 78% and test #8, it just stopped.

    It's really shocking how many people are mean and sadistic.

    > It didn't report any errors, it just stopped.

    It staggers the imagination, doesn't it?

    > Is this normal or does this indicate a problem with the memory?

    I have no idea. Is that normal or does that indicate a problem with the
    memory?

    > What else should I check?

    You call yourself a woman?

    > TIA Louise Any thoughts - suggestions?