Re: Memory?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Neil Green, May 10, 2008.

  1. Neil Green

    Neil Green Guest

    "Toby" <> wrote in message
    > Hmmmm...I'm thinking now that I have a defective
    > DIMM slot. I've swapped memory without the problem
    > changing. I have 2x512 MB modules in banks 1 & 2 for
    > a total of 2 GB. Pulling the modules from bank 2 and
    > trying to run on 1 GB doesn't change the problem,
    > nor does substituting the modules. Unfortunately I
    > can't skip the first bank, so if there is a problem
    > it must be in that first bank. Does this sound
    > logical? Ouch, I'm not looking forward to replacing
    > the system board...
    >
    > Anything else to try first before doing that? I'd
    > hate to go to all the trouble if there is something
    > I am overlooking.
    >
    > Toby
    > "Toby" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm hoping someone knowledgeable about hardware can
    >> point me in the right direction. I recently was
    >> given an HP wx8000 workstation with twin Xeons. I
    >> shipped it home well packed in my luggage. On
    >> arrival I got some POST beeps codes that went away
    >> as soon as I reseated all the boards.
    >>
    >> At this point everything was fine, and I installed
    >> a SATA raid PCI card and cloned the OS over to twin
    >> mirrored SATA drives. Everything still fine, and I
    >> started transferring data over from my old
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> Today I started the computer and it would not boot.
    >> No POST messages--it got through to where the
    >> Windows splash screen normally comes up and hung. I
    >> tried it several times and sometimes the splash
    >> screen just starts to fade up and is left hanging
    >> dimly. Other times it just hangs in black before
    >> the screen appears
    >>
    >> In safe mode it hangs just after the the
    >> "agp440.sys" driver loading message comes up. I
    >> tried enabling VGA mode with no luck. I took out
    >> the Quadro FX1100 graphics card (AGP) and tried it
    >> in my other computer. It works fine there, so I
    >> assume that it is OK. I didn't try loading the
    >> driver there but I can boot into Windows in default
    >> graphics mode without any problem.
    >>
    >> Then tried booting with Winternals ERD Commander.
    >> This also hangs after loading the drivers. The HP
    >> restore disk hangs in the same place, just after
    >> the big status bar across the bottom is loaded and
    >> up comes the message "Please Wait". Windows XP
    >> setup hangs in the same place--it loads all drivers
    >> and then says something like "Setup is starting
    >> Windows" and doesn't move from there.
    >>
    >> I disconnected all the PCI boards, including the
    >> SATA raid card and tried again with the original
    >> IDE disk. Same same. Tried clearing all the ESCD
    >> data. No luck.
    >>
    >> So the question is: where from here? Has anyone
    >> seen anything similar? This is a nice machine and I
    >> would really like to get it working. Could this be
    >> some sort of motherboard failure. I just don't know
    >> enough about hardware to know what next step to
    >> take.
    >>
    >> Any ideas welcomed. TIA.
    >>
    >> Toby

    RAM's probably OK, although you could run Memtest86
    anyway which can be run from a flash drive or floppy.
    Sounds more like a data problem, run Everest on the
    HDD to check it's integrity and try a logged boot to
    see when Windows is deciding to crash.
    You may have royally screwed Windows with the add on
    card and drive, so maybe just a fresh install will do.

    Neil Green, May 10, 2008

  2. Neil Green

    Neil Green Guest

    "Toby" <> wrote in message

    > "Neil Green" <> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >> "Toby" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hmmmm...I'm thinking now that I have a defective
    >>> DIMM slot. I've swapped memory without the problem
    >>> changing. I have 2x512 MB modules in banks 1 & 2
    >>> for a total of 2 GB. Pulling the modules from bank
    >>> 2 and trying to run on 1 GB doesn't change the
    >>> problem, nor does substituting the modules.
    >>> Unfortunately I can't skip the first bank, so if
    >>> there is a problem it must be in that first bank.
    >>> Does this sound logical? Ouch, I'm not looking
    >>> forward to replacing the system board...
    >>>
    >>> Anything else to try first before doing that? I'd
    >>> hate to go to all the trouble if there is
    >>> something I am overlooking.
    >>>
    >>> Toby
    >>> "Toby" <> wrote in message

    >> RAM's probably OK, although you could run Memtest86
    >> anyway which can be run from a flash drive or
    >> floppy.
    >> Sounds more like a data problem, run Everest on the
    >> HDD to check it's integrity and try a logged boot
    >> to see when Windows is deciding to crash.
    >> You may have royally screwed Windows with the add
    >> on card and drive, so maybe just a fresh install
    >> will do.

    > Thanks Neil, but I tried a fresh Windows install on
    > the IDE disk and Setup hangs from the CD when it
    > says that it is "starting Windows" after loading all
    > the drivers. I'm having some suspicions about the
    > AGP slot. All the boot options I have tried (Windows
    > from the HDD, Winternals ERD Commander boot disk and
    > boot from the Windows CD) hang just as a splash
    > screen is about to appear. Before that all is
    > DOS-like text. Windows hangs on a logged boot after
    > from the System 32 folder.
    >
    > On a hardware level, is there some kind of switch
    > from the rudimentary VGA controller on the
    > motherboard to the graphics card at this point? If
    > so, I'm guessing that the problem is there.
    >
    > Toby

    Sounds possible.
    Easiest way to check is to plug in a PCI video card,
    after making the adjustments to the BIOS if necessary.
    Most modern BIOS will auto detect the video card.
    Failing that do you have a Knoppix CD?
    This will boot and load Linux independantly of
    Windows, so it should establish whether the AGP slot
    or the Windows drivers are the problem.

    Neil Green, May 10, 2008

  3. Neil Green

    caveat Guest

    "Neil Green" <> wrote in message

    > "Toby" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Neil Green" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Toby" <> wrote in message

    >>> RAM's probably OK, although you could run Memtest86 anyway which can be
    >>> run from a flash drive or floppy.
    >>> Sounds more like a data problem, run Everest on the HDD to check it's
    >>> integrity and try a logged boot to see when Windows is deciding to
    >>> crash.
    >>> You may have royally screwed Windows with the add on card and drive, so
    >>> maybe just a fresh install will do.

    >> Thanks Neil, but I tried a fresh Windows install on the IDE disk and
    >> Setup hangs from the CD when it says that it is "starting Windows" after
    >> All the boot options I have tried (Windows from the HDD, Winternals ERD
    >> Commander boot disk and boot from the Windows CD) hang just as a splash
    >> screen is about to appear. Before that all is DOS-like text. Windows
    >> hangs on a logged boot after loading (or trying to load) the "Agp440.sys"
    >> file from the System 32 folder.
    >>
    >> On a hardware level, is there some kind of switch from the rudimentary
    >> VGA controller on the motherboard to the graphics card at this point? If
    >> so, I'm guessing that the problem is there.
    >>
    >> Toby

    > Sounds possible.
    > Easiest way to check is to plug in a PCI video card, after making the
    > adjustments to the BIOS if necessary.
    > Most modern BIOS will auto detect the video card.
    > Failing that do you have a Knoppix CD?
    > This will boot and load Linux independantly of Windows, so it should
    > establish whether the AGP slot or the Windows drivers are the problem.

    I recently had a similar problem, in safe mode my system also stopped at
    agp440.sys, paused then rebooted.
    After rebooting into safe mode again I set it to Not reboot on error.
    After that it gave me a blue screen that said it could not start a .dll (
    sorry I don't remember what .dll it was )
    I restarted the system with the install CD in and got to a dos prompt.
    It turns out the .dll didn't exist, it was deleted.
    I copied the .dll from the cab file to the system32 directory and rebooted.
    Windows came up just fine - I thought.
    I was unable to send emails. My ISP closed down my access to sending emails
    because, as I was told, my system was sending about 50 emails a minute.
    I installed Webroot and scanned my system, it found a Trojan and deleted it.
    My system has been 100% ever since.

    Damn bugs!!!
    You might have the same bug or bot as I had.

    caveat, May 19, 2008