Re: memory stick problem creating folder or file

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Joep, Jun 26, 2007.

  1. Joep

    Joep Guest

    Possibly:

    If is truly FAT12 or FAT16 (and NOT FAT32) you're dealing with a fixed
    maximum number of root directory entries. This number is defined in the boot
    sector. Now you may be tempted to just change that using a disk editor but
    then you'll be overwriting data in the data area. + Your new root entries
    may be overwritten at any time as the file system still thinks your root is
    just x entries in size.

    For FAT16 it is advised to maintain 512 entries (for compatibility reasons).
    186 would be a weird number I have not seen before, but maybe there's more
    files actually there in form of a bunch of hidden files in your root.

    Anyway, all root dir entries used is the most plausible explanation I can
    think of. Use something like Winhex to have a look at the boot sector to
    determine the value. If you're a DOS fetishist you can also use our
    DiskPatch.

    --

    Kind regards,
    Joep - DIY DataRecovery.nl

    http://www.diydatarecovery.nl

    Important: When replying to this mail, please include previous
    correspondence!

    Joep, Jun 26, 2007

  2. On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:49:04 +0200, "Joep" <>
    wrote:

    >Possibly:
    >
    >If is truly FAT12 or FAT16 (and NOT FAT32) you're dealing with a fixed
    >maximum number of root directory entries. This number is defined in the boot
    >sector. Now you may be tempted to just change that using a disk editor but
    >then you'll be overwriting data in the data area. + Your new root entries
    >may be overwritten at any time as the file system still thinks your root is
    >just x entries in size.
    >
    >For FAT16 it is advised to maintain 512 entries (for compatibility reasons).
    >186 would be a weird number I have not seen before, but maybe there's more
    >files actually there in form of a bunch of hidden files in your root.
    >
    >Anyway, all root dir entries used is the most plausible explanation I can
    >think of. Use something like Winhex to have a look at the boot sector to
    >determine the value. If you're a DOS fetishist you can also use our
    >DiskPatch.

    I'd second that suggestion. And re: 186 being a weird number - I
    remember reading somewhere that long file names take up additional
    entries, so the limit can be substantially lower than 512.

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Jul 4, 2007

  3. Joep

    Joep Guest

    "mhaase-at-springmind.com" <mhaase-at-springmind.com@> schreef in bericht
    > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:49:04 +0200, "Joep" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Possibly:
    >>
    >>If is truly FAT12 or FAT16 (and NOT FAT32) you're dealing with a fixed
    >>maximum number of root directory entries. This number is defined in the
    >>boot
    >>sector. Now you may be tempted to just change that using a disk editor but
    >>then you'll be overwriting data in the data area. + Your new root entries
    >>may be overwritten at any time as the file system still thinks your root
    >>is
    >>just x entries in size.
    >>
    >>For FAT16 it is advised to maintain 512 entries (for compatibility
    >>reasons).
    >>186 would be a weird number I have not seen before, but maybe there's more
    >>files actually there in form of a bunch of hidden files in your root.
    >>
    >>Anyway, all root dir entries used is the most plausible explanation I can
    >>think of. Use something like Winhex to have a look at the boot sector to
    >>determine the value. If you're a DOS fetishist you can also use our
    >>DiskPatch.

    > I'd second that suggestion. And re: 186 being a weird number - I
    > remember reading somewhere that long file names take up additional
    > entries, so the limit can be substantially lower than 512.

    Of course you're right, that's it - stupid of me, it has been a while since
    I actually wrote code to parse directory structures. Indeed long filenames
    occupy directory entries and depending on the lenght of the long filename
    they often even use multiple directory entries. So with only room for 512
    entries for the FAT16 file system this space is used up pretty quickly.

    BTW PartitionMagic has been able for a long time to increase the size of the
    root.

    Joep, Jul 27, 2007