Re: Memory stick file encryption

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by nemo_outis, Mar 7, 2009.

  1. nemo_outis

    nemo_outis Guest

    Gualtier Malde <> wrote in

    > I am having trouble trying to sort out various encryption software
    > available. I want to carry my .txt password file with me on a memory
    > stick and, of course, want to protect it. I could put it in a .rar
    > file but if the machine I am using doesn't have WinRAR or something
    > I'm not helped. And, finally, I don't understand most of this
    > encrypting stuff.
    >
    > I think I need a very small program, self-contained like old DOZ
    > programs, so that it doesn't have to be installed on the temporary
    > computer. Doesn't have to be freeware.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Rather than look to software solutions (many of the good ones require a
    driver which implies the need for admin rights on Windows) consider a
    very solid hardware solution: Ironkey.

    The ironkey USB drive isn't cheap as such things go but it isn't that
    expensive either (if you truly value your privacy). You get hardware,
    not software, security for your stored data, certified to FIPS-2 level 2
    (it missed level 3 only by a whisker). AES encryption. Tamper-resistant.
    Ten wrong passwords and it irretrievably self-destructs the internal key.
    Also you can use (at your option) its private Tor servers (your choice of
    speed v random security).

    www.ironkey.com

    There are others which claim similar features (e,g, Kingston Traveller)
    but they don't come close to providing the same level of hardware
    security.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Mar 7, 2009

  2. nemo_outis

    Ari® Guest

    On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 12:05:55 +0000, Guy Macon wrote:

    > nemo_outis wrote:
    >
    >>Gualtier Malde wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am having trouble trying to sort out various encryption software
    >>> available. I want to carry my .txt password file with me on a memory
    >>> stick and, of course, want to protect it. I could put it in a .rar
    >>> file but if the machine I am using doesn't have WinRAR or something
    >>> I'm not helped. And, finally, I don't understand most of this
    >>> encrypting stuff.
    >>>
    >>> I think I need a very small program, self-contained like old DOZ
    >>> programs, so that it doesn't have to be installed on the temporary
    >>> computer. Doesn't have to be freeware.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >>Rather than look to software solutions (many of the good ones require a
    >>driver which implies the need for admin rights on Windows) consider a
    >>very solid hardware solution: Ironkey.
    >>
    >>The ironkey USB drive isn't cheap as such things go but it isn't that
    >>expensive either (if you truly value your privacy). You get hardware,
    >>not software, security for your stored data, certified to FIPS-2 level 2
    >>(it missed level 3 only by a whisker). AES encryption. Tamper-resistant.
    >>Ten wrong passwords and it irretrievably self-destructs the internal key.
    >>Also you can use (at your option) its private Tor servers (your choice of
    >>speed v random security).
    >>
    >>www.ironkey.com
    >>
    >>There are others which claim similar features (e,g, Kingston Traveller)
    >>but they don't come close to providing the same level of hardware
    >>security.

    > I second the suggestion to use ironkey. If you do, however, decide to
    > go with a software solution, in my opinion Truecrypt is too large, too
    > complex, and has too many features for just protecting a single text
    > file on a Windows computer. For that, a simpler program with fewer
    > features would seem a better choice. I suggest Axecrypt or "My Secure
    > Notepad." Axecrypt is 900KB, but the decrypt-only version is 69KB.
    > "My Secure Notepad" is 40KB. Both use open-source AES encryption.
    > Axecrypt can be set up to run standalone (just run the program from
    > your USB stick on any windows PC, no install needed) or to be installed
    > and invoked with a right-click context menu, and "My Secure Notepad"
    > has only a standalone mode.
    >
    > http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/Default.html
    >
    > http://bouchez.info/delphi-securenotepad.html

    Thirds on Ironkey.

    Agree on Truecrypt for the OP

    Axcrypt will not allow you to change a file once it is encrypted. You
    can open and close it all you want.
    --
    A fireside chat with Ari!
    http://tr.im/h45T

    Ari®, Mar 7, 2009

  3. nemo_outis

    Ari® Guest

    On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 23:12:31 +0000, Guy Macon wrote:

    >>> http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/Default.html
    >>>
    >>> http://bouchez.info/delphi-securenotepad.html

    >>Thirds on Ironkey.
    >>
    >>Agree on Truecrypt for the OP
    >>
    >>Axcrypt will not allow you to change a file once it is encrypted. You
    >>can open and close it all you want.

    > To be more specific, axcrypt gives you three choices: open, decrypt or
    > shred & delete. Open lets you read the file but not change it, which
    > is ideal for a text file full of passwords. Decrypt turns it into an
    > ordinary file that you can edit, etc. and then encrypt it again. Shred
    > and delete overwrites then erases the file (which is what it does with
    > the unencrypted file after encrypting it.)

    Your right. I haven't used it in a while but the program v1.6 was
    locking the file and had no Decrypt submenu. Deinstall-reinstall and
    there it was.

    The self-decrypting .exe option is kinda neat as well for use in secured
    file sharing.
    --
    A fireside chat with Ari!
    http://tr.im/h45T

    Ari®, Mar 8, 2009
  4. nemo_outis

    Ari® Guest

    On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 12:38:46 -0800, John Smith wrote:

    > Ari® wrote:

    >>> I second the suggestion to use ironkey. If you do, however, decide to
    >>> go with a software solution, in my opinion Truecrypt is too large, too
    >>> complex, and has too many features for just protecting a single text
    >>> file on a Windows computer. For that, a simpler program with fewer
    >>> features would seem a better choice. I suggest Axecrypt or "My Secure
    >>> Notepad." Axecrypt is 900KB, but the decrypt-only version is 69KB.
    >>> "My Secure Notepad" is 40KB. Both use open-source AES encryption.
    >>> Axecrypt can be set up to run standalone (just run the program from
    >>> your USB stick on any windows PC, no install needed) or to be installed
    >>> and invoked with a right-click context menu, and "My Secure Notepad"
    >>> has only a standalone mode.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/Default.html
    >>>
    >>> http://bouchez.info/delphi-securenotepad.html

    >> Thirds on Ironkey.
    >>
    >> Agree on Truecrypt for the OP
    >>
    >> Axcrypt will not allow you to change a file once it is encrypted. You
    >> can open and close it all you want.

    > The world was waiting in anticipation to see what you thought.

    The world is satisfied.
    --
    A fireside chat with Ari!
    http://tr.im/h45T