Re: Memory stick file encryption

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Frank Merlott, Mar 6, 2009.

  1. Gualtier Malde pretended :
    > I am having trouble trying to sort out various encryption software available.
    > I want to carry my .txt password file with me on a memory stick and, of
    > course, want to protect it. I could put it in a .rar file but if the machine
    > I am using doesn't have WinRAR or something I'm not helped. And, finally, I
    > don't understand most of this encrypting stuff.
    >
    > I think I need a very small program, self-contained like old DOZ programs, so
    > that it doesn't have to be installed on the temporary computer. Doesn't have
    > to be freeware.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you.

    KeePass:

    Portable Edition:
    http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/keepass_portable

    Desktop Edition:
    http://keepass.info/

    --
    Privacylover: http://www.privacylover.com

    Frank Merlott, Mar 6, 2009

  2. John Smith pretended :
    > Frank Merlott wrote:
    >> Gualtier Malde pretended :
    >>> I am having trouble trying to sort out various encryption software
    >>> available. I want to carry my .txt password file with me on a memory
    >>> stick and, of course, want to protect it. I could put it in a .rar file
    >>> but if the machine I am using doesn't have WinRAR or something I'm not
    >>> helped. And, finally, I don't understand most of this encrypting stuff.
    >>>
    >>> I think I need a very small program, self-contained like old DOZ programs,
    >>> so that it doesn't have to be installed on the temporary computer.
    >>> Doesn't have to be freeware.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.

    >> KeePass:
    >>
    >> Portable Edition:
    >> http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/keepass_portable
    >>
    >> Desktop Edition:
    >> http://keepass.info/
    >>

    > Great site Frank, any ideas for anonymous surfing (free) from a usb stick?

    Incognito live CD has a USB installation script, this is very easy to
    do really.

    I have installed in the past Incognito on a 2GB USB thumbrive and it
    was done with two mouse clicks.

    The only problem you may have with Incognito is a Linux problem, it
    will need to recognise your hardware. I for example, could not get to
    use Incognito on the Asus 901 Netbook because I could not change the
    screen resolution, something to do with the display drivers, the
    developer confirmed me this by email.

    http://anonymityanywhere.com/incognito/

    Incognito uses tor for internet surfing, and Internet Messaging, it can
    be used as a live CD or USB thumbdrive, and it also has truecrypt. It
    is the best anonymous/privacy live CD I know of.

    And Guy Macon link to Secure Notepad just remembered me something,
    Steganos LockNote:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/locknote

    It is a free very simple Windows only notepad with AES encryption. I
    have never used Secure Notepad and I could not tell which one is better
    in comparison to Locknote.

    --
    Privacylover: http://www.privacylover.com

    Frank Merlott, Mar 8, 2009