Re: media player problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Jan 26, 2009.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "eugene" <> wrote in

    > I got Springsteen's new album this morning and began to rip
    > it to my PC. The first track went okay but during the
    > second track, I heard a kind of a noise (like a crack) and
    > the rip froze. Now my PC will not read any CD I insert. Any
    > suggestions?

    I would guess it's a combination of Vista (WHY are you using
    that DRM-mafia-controlled spyware?) "features" and a possibility
    of an intentional - or not - Shirley's post is VERY informative
    - current CD manufacturing "features". It doesn't matter WHO
    makes the CD, IIRC Sony owns Columbia and about 200 other
    labels... Even if they DON'T own Columbia, DRM (ie $$$) rules,
    most labels.

    We're rapidly turning into a monopolized world, I almost fainted
    when I saw TDK was bought out by imation. What a disaster.

    As for your machine, if you don't have a backup or a restore
    point, you may be in a for a format and full install... In which
    case I highly recommend you upgrade to XP, 2000 or 98SE.

    If you're lucky and get someone to help you, you may be able to
    fix it just by deleting some files and reg entries, but it's a
    little hard to say from over here.

    --
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."
    Anais Nin
    thanatoid, Jan 26, 2009

  2. thanatoid

    walter Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > "eugene" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I got Springsteen's new album this morning and began to rip
    >> it to my PC. The first track went okay but during the
    >> second track, I heard a kind of a noise (like a crack) and
    >> the rip froze. Now my PC will not read any CD I insert. Any
    >> suggestions?

    > I would guess it's a combination of Vista (WHY are you using
    > that DRM-mafia-controlled spyware?) "features" and a possibility
    > of an intentional - or not - Shirley's post is VERY informative

    [snip]

    Would a rootkit or some other malware cause the drive to emit "a noise (like
    a crack)" at the exact moment it fails? Rootkits sure have come a long way
    if they now contain little bombs that physically destroy optical drives.
    walter, Jan 27, 2009

  3. walter wrote:
    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> "eugene" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I got Springsteen's new album this morning and began to rip
    >>> it to my PC. The first track went okay but during the
    >>> second track, I heard a kind of a noise (like a crack) and
    >>> the rip froze. Now my PC will not read any CD I insert. Any
    >>> suggestions?

    >> I would guess it's a combination of Vista (WHY are you using
    >> that DRM-mafia-controlled spyware?) "features" and a possibility
    >> of an intentional - or not - Shirley's post is VERY informative

    > [snip]
    >
    > Would a rootkit or some other malware cause the drive to emit "a noise (like
    > a crack)" at the exact moment it fails? Rootkits sure have come a long way
    > if they now contain little bombs that physically destroy optical drives.

    Yes! and the nsa and MI6 are working on one to botify powewr supplies too!
    But whats worse is when the HAARP array gets magnetic resonance and can
    read your hard driev from space.
    Soulution: line your walls with brass screens.

    HTH
    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 27, 2009
  4. walter wrote:
    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> "eugene" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I got Springsteen's new album this morning and began to rip
    >>> it to my PC. The first track went okay but during the
    >>> second track, I heard a kind of a noise (like a crack) and
    >>> the rip froze. Now my PC will not read any CD I insert. Any
    >>> suggestions?

    >> I would guess it's a combination of Vista (WHY are you using
    >> that DRM-mafia-controlled spyware?) "features" and a possibility
    >> of an intentional - or not - Shirley's post is VERY informative

    > [snip]
    >
    > Would a rootkit or some other malware cause the drive to emit "a noise (like
    > a crack)" at the exact moment it fails? Rootkits sure have come a long way
    > if they now contain little bombs that physically destroy optical drives.

    No, that was not the intent but is a known consequence
    with *some* drives when the spiteful disabling firmware is
    flashed whilst a drive is actually in use - such as when
    ripping, some drives will result in damaged circuits.
    I won't do the searching for you, but a couple of tips:
    Type into search: firmware induced damage
    also do a search on your specific burner:
    "firmware caused damage <vestec/your drive/liteon>" etc
    You've a lot to read, there is an lot out there on this
    very issue.
    Shirley Bassey, Jan 27, 2009
  5. thanatoid

    walter Guest

    Shirley Bassey wrote:

    > walter wrote:
    >> thanatoid wrote:
    >>
    >>> "eugene" <> wrote in

    >>> I would guess it's a combination of Vista (WHY are you using
    >>> that DRM-mafia-controlled spyware?) "features" and a possibility
    >>> of an intentional - or not - Shirley's post is VERY informative

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> Would a rootkit or some other malware cause the drive to emit "a
    >> noise (like a crack)" at the exact moment it fails? Rootkits sure
    >> have come a long way if they now contain little bombs that
    >> physically destroy optical drives.

    > No, that was not the intent but is a known consequence
    > with *some* drives when the spiteful disabling firmware is
    > flashed whilst a drive is actually in use - such as when
    > ripping, some drives will result in damaged circuits.

    Most of the cites you gave in your last post were from '05. I think Sony's
    paid a big bill since then, and because of that I don't think Columbia
    Records (Springsteen) would include malware that completely disables a drive
    by "damaging circuits". And if they did, they can expect the same sort of
    class-action lawsuit Sony lost. Oh, and you still haven't explained the
    "cracking sound" the OP heard a split-second before the drive failed.

    > I won't do the searching for you, but a couple of tips:

    I'm not the one with the problem. Tell it to the OP.

    Why is it so hard for people to believe that a "cracking noise" that
    accompanies drive failure might be DRIVE FAILURE?

    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

    Unless you're Bill Clinton or Monica Lewinski. :)
    walter, Jan 27, 2009
  6. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "walter" <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> "eugene" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I got Springsteen's new album this morning and began to
    >>> rip it to my PC. The first track went okay but during the
    >>> second track, I heard a kind of a noise (like a crack)
    >>> and the rip froze. Now my PC will not read any CD I
    >>> insert. Any suggestions?

    >> I would guess it's a combination of Vista (WHY are you
    >> using that DRM-mafia-controlled spyware?) "features" and a
    >> possibility of an intentional - or not - Shirley's post is
    >> VERY informative

    > [snip]
    >
    > Would a rootkit or some other malware cause the drive to
    > emit "a noise (like a crack)" at the exact moment it fails?
    > Rootkits sure have come a long way if they now contain
    > little bombs that physically destroy optical drives.

    Due to your last sentence I don't know whether you are serious,
    funny, choose words which can be misunderstood, or whether using
    Windows/computers has finally driven you off the edge - no
    offense PLEASE.

    But...

    I have had the pleasure of about 4 HD's dying on me in the last
    10 years or so. In at least 2 cases, slightly louder "standard
    operational noises" were heard for a longer or shorter period
    preceding the death. In fact the drive I am on now has been
    doing everything considerably louder since I last opened the box
    (and, idiot that I am - it is one of those "no tools needed to
    get everything out" cases - did not raise one of the hinges to
    exact 90° and the CD and HD which are in it "dropped"
    angularly/in a curve (?), although attached to the structure,
    about 5-6 inches).

    !!!!!
    => Comments welcome. If anyone thinks I should change the HD NOW
    (it checks out 100% OK with more than one tool I used after that
    happened) please tell me.

    Anyway... I see it as quite possible that some violent
    occurrence in any component of an electromechanical device
    /might/ make a noticeable sound.

    It is unusual for a HD to fail "all of a sudden" (except when
    caused by one of these anti-copy things), and even that is not
    really "failure", at least not mechanical - I am pretty sure a
    low level format etc would make such a drive operational again,
    but I could be wrong.

    The crack you heard /may/ have been something else that affects
    the performance of your system. It's a miracle computers work at
    all. I still don't understand how phonograph records managed to
    squeeze what some claim superior to digital sound in a tiny
    groove of plastic revolving at snail speed.

    I realize this didn't help much, sorry. You should have a tech
    person look at it.
    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2009
  7. thanatoid

    walter Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > "walter" <> wrote in
    >
    >> thanatoid wrote:
    >>
    >>> "eugene" <> wrote in

    >>> I would guess it's a combination of Vista (WHY are you
    >>> using that DRM-mafia-controlled spyware?) "features" and a
    >>> possibility of an intentional - or not - Shirley's post is
    >>> VERY informative

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> Would a rootkit or some other malware cause the drive to
    >> emit "a noise (like a crack)" at the exact moment it fails?
    >> Rootkits sure have come a long way if they now contain
    >> little bombs that physically destroy optical drives.

    > Due to your last sentence I don't know whether you are serious,
    > funny, choose words which can be misunderstood, or whether using
    > Windows/computers has finally driven you off the edge - no
    > offense PLEASE.
    >
    > But...
    >
    > I have had the pleasure of about 4 HD's dying on me in the last
    > 10 years or so.

    [snip]

    The OP was talking about a DVD/CD drive getting ruined in some fashion, not
    an HD.
    walter, Jan 28, 2009
  8. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "walter" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > The OP was talking about a DVD/CD drive getting ruined in
    > some fashion, not an HD.

    He also asked a more general follow-up question. There is a lot
    less difference between a HD and CD/DVD drive than between
    either and a chicken. Read the whole post again if you still
    don't understand why I mentioned a /HD/.

    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2009
  9. thanatoid

    walter Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > "walter" <> wrote in
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> The OP was talking about a DVD/CD drive getting ruined in
    >> some fashion, not an HD.

    > He also asked a more general follow-up question. There is a lot
    > less difference between a HD and CD/DVD drive than between
    > either and a chicken. Read the whole post again if you still
    > don't understand why I mentioned a /HD/.

    -----------

    OP: I was using my cd/dvd drive to rip a CD.

    OP: After it ripped the first track correctly I heard a cracking noise come
    from it.

    OP: As soon as I heard the cracking noise, the rip stopped and the drive
    never worked again.

    YOU and OTHERS: <software conspiracy theories>

    ME: The friggin' drive (physically/mechanically) BROKE mid-rip. The only
    solution is to replace it.
    -----------

    Unless the OP reports back I suppose we'll never know who was correct, but
    I'd still lay money on me.
    walter, Jan 29, 2009
  10. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "walter" <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> "walter" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> <SNIP>
    >>
    >>> The OP was talking about a DVD/CD drive getting ruined in
    >>> some fashion, not an HD.

    >> He also asked a more general follow-up question. There is
    >> a lot less difference between a HD and CD/DVD drive than
    >> between either and a chicken. Read the whole post again if
    >> you still don't understand why I mentioned a /HD/.

    > -----------
    >
    > OP: I was using my cd/dvd drive to rip a CD.
    >
    > OP: After it ripped the first track correctly I heard a
    > cracking noise come from it.
    >
    > OP: As soon as I heard the cracking noise, the rip stopped
    > and the drive never worked again.
    >
    > YOU and OTHERS: <software conspiracy theories>

    What's life without a little paranoia? I mean, I openly admit, I
    /really/ thought we might never even *get* an election, let
    alone that Obama would win!

    > ME: The friggin' drive (physically/mechanically) BROKE
    > mid-rip. The only solution is to replace it.

    You could be right, but we'll probably never know. But seeing as
    the OP IIRC DID thank the respondents, maybe he'll post a photo
    of the broken mechanism somewhere someday.

    > -----------
    >
    > Unless the OP reports back I suppose we'll never know who
    > was correct, but I'd still lay money on me.

    I should /finally/ learn to read the whole message before
    replying.

    thanatoid, Jan 29, 2009
  11. thanatoid

    walter Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > I should /finally/ learn to read the whole message before
    > replying.

    You and a CRAPload of others in this newsgroup.
    walter, Jan 29, 2009
  12. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "walter" <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> I should /finally/ learn to read the whole message before
    >> replying.

    > You and a CRAPload of others in this newsgroup.

    /laughs out loud/

    thanatoid, Jan 29, 2009