Re: media player problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Shirley Bassey, Jan 26, 2009.

  1. eugene wrote:
    > I got Springsteen's new album this morning and began to rip it to my PC.
    > The first track went okay but during the second track, I heard a kind of
    > a noise (like a crack) and the rip froze. Now my PC will not read any CD
    > I insert. Any suggestions?

    You failed to read the small print.
    Here is the evolution of evil rootkits, copy-protection
    and Digital Rights Management on the CD format:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottdrm
    http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/10/drm_crippled_cd.html

    Here is how you should have done it, but it's snake oil
    to your problem now:
    http://www.dsg.cs.tcd.ie/~haahrm/copying-protected-cds/
    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2146367/garnter-piece-tape-defeats-cd

    You say the "first track went okay" - no it didn't.
    That track loaded the firmware that disabled your burner.
    Your burner may have a firmware update from the OEM site
    that might reset it, but very doubtful.
    Now try playing that one track you say "went okay" and
    ripped to a HDD folder, when the warning dialog appears
    during playback be sure you follow the strict instructions
    or woe betide you and your PC.

    Type CD red book into a search, the results will explain the
    basics of the CD format.
    Then type CD yellow book into a search, and those results
    will explain why some copy-protected CD's do not conform
    to the red book CD standard and so cannot have the official
    CD logo on the packaging, just as your CD is missing such
    a logo. Thats Lance Percival copy protection for you!

    Advice - do not attempt to play the track you do manage
    to rip - delete it!
    Shirley Bassey, Jan 26, 2009