    see it to appreciate it.

    Cheers,
    Daniel
    Daniel, Jun 28, 2005

  2. In article <d9siur$gnf$>,
    Daniel <> wrote:

    >However, I've recently tried a Matrox G450 (outputting an NTSC signal -
    >doesn't appear to support PAL M unfortunately)...

    Why do you need PAL M? NZ analog TV is PAL B/G.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 29, 2005

  3. Daniel

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:29:17 +1200, Daniel <> wrote:

    >Just a followup for anyone interested in the original post:
    >
    >A while a ago I posted something titled "Media PC Options" regarding the
    >disappointing TV output quality from my R9600Pro.
    >
    >Since then, I've tried a R9600XT VIVO, which was good, but, still not as
    >good as my bog standard DSE DVD player.
    >
    >However, I've recently tried a Matrox G450 (outputting an NTSC signal -
    >doesn't appear to support PAL M unfortunately), and the TV quality is
    >quite simply outstanding. Even more astonishing considering the
    >technology and age of the card.
    >
    >I'd read about Matrox TV output in other groups, but, you really have to
    >see it to appreciate it.

    Doesn't someone produce a dedicated TV out card that has component outputs.
    From memory it has an onboard mpeg decoder and only did that. Guess that is a
    bit of a downside.
    Craig Shore, Jun 30, 2005
  4. Daniel

    shannon Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:29:17 +1200, Daniel <> wrote:
    >

    >>Just a followup for anyone interested in the original post:
    >>
    >>A while a ago I posted something titled "Media PC Options" regarding the
    >>disappointing TV output quality from my R9600Pro.
    >>
    >>Since then, I've tried a R9600XT VIVO, which was good, but, still not as
    >>good as my bog standard DSE DVD player.
    >>
    >>However, I've recently tried a Matrox G450 (outputting an NTSC signal -
    >>doesn't appear to support PAL M unfortunately), and the TV quality is
    >>quite simply outstanding. Even more astonishing considering the
    >>technology and age of the card.
    >>
    >>I'd read about Matrox TV output in other groups, but, you really have to
    >>see it to appreciate it.

    > Doesn't someone produce a dedicated TV out card that has component outputs.
    > From memory it has an onboard mpeg decoder and only did that. Guess that is a
    > bit of a downside.

    Is this it ?
    http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/xcard.htm
    shannon, Jun 30, 2005
  5. Daniel

    Richard Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > Doesn't someone produce a dedicated TV out card that has component outputs.
    > From memory it has an onboard mpeg decoder and only did that. Guess that is a
    > bit of a downside.

    Hollywood xcard does that. Flakes out on so many xvids that its not worth
    bothering with.

    ATI can do component out on the VGA plug, but most people dont seem to like it
    since there isnt a flicker filter like the tv encoder provides. I like it for
    playing mame tho :) gonna get one of the hidiously cheap 25"ers from teh
    warewhare to put in my arcade cabinet shortly.
    Richard, Jun 30, 2005
  6. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <d9siur$gnf$>,
    > Daniel <> wrote:
    >

    >>However, I've recently tried a Matrox G450 (outputting an NTSC signal -
    >>doesn't appear to support PAL M unfortunately)...

    > Why do you need PAL M? NZ analog TV is PAL B/G.

    True - my mistake.

    Hmmm... I do wonder why the TV isn't decoding the signal properly (or
    perhaps the G450 doesn't do PAL B/G??).
    Daniel, Jun 30, 2005
  7. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> Doesn't someone produce a dedicated TV out card that has component
    >> outputs.
    >> From memory it has an onboard mpeg decoder and only did that. Guess
    >> that is a
    >> bit of a downside.

    > Hollywood xcard does that. Flakes out on so many xvids that its not
    > worth bothering with.
    >
    > ATI can do component out on the VGA plug, but most people dont seem to
    > like it since there isnt a flicker filter like the tv encoder provides.
    > I like it for playing mame tho :) gonna get one of the hidiously cheap
    > 25"ers from teh warewhare to put in my arcade cabinet shortly.

    Interesting. So, is that to say that the difference in quality is due to
    the G450 having a TV encoder, and the R9600XT (R9600Pro, GeForce2 MX -
    my other cards) not?

    Or rather, the question should be is it that TV encoders aren't
    something that most manufacturers put on their 3D cards?
    Daniel, Jun 30, 2005
  8. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Hollywood xcard does that. Flakes out on so many xvids that its not
    >> worth bothering with.
    >>
    >> ATI can do component out on the VGA plug, but most people dont seem to
    >> like it since there isnt a flicker filter like the tv encoder
    >> provides. I like it for playing mame tho :) gonna get one of the
    >> hidiously cheap 25"ers from teh warewhare to put in my arcade cabinet
    >> shortly.

    > Interesting. So, is that to say that the difference in quality is due to
    > the G450 having a TV encoder, and the R9600XT (R9600Pro, GeForce2 MX -
    > my other cards) not?
    >
    > Or rather, the question should be is it that TV encoders aren't
    > something that most manufacturers put on their 3D cards?

    Actually, those cards must have a TV encoder (of sorts), otherwise you'd
    never get a signal in the first place.

    However, that still doesn't explain the difference in ouput quality (?)
    Daniel, Jun 30, 2005
  9. Daniel

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:36:10 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:29:17 +1200, Daniel <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Just a followup for anyone interested in the original post:
    >>>
    >>>A while a ago I posted something titled "Media PC Options" regarding the
    >>>disappointing TV output quality from my R9600Pro.
    >>>
    >>>Since then, I've tried a R9600XT VIVO, which was good, but, still not as
    >>>good as my bog standard DSE DVD player.
    >>>
    >>>However, I've recently tried a Matrox G450 (outputting an NTSC signal -
    >>>doesn't appear to support PAL M unfortunately), and the TV quality is
    >>>quite simply outstanding. Even more astonishing considering the
    >>>technology and age of the card.
    >>>
    >>>I'd read about Matrox TV output in other groups, but, you really have to
    >>>see it to appreciate it.

    >> Doesn't someone produce a dedicated TV out card that has component outputs.
    >> From memory it has an onboard mpeg decoder and only did that. Guess that is a
    >> bit of a downside.
    >>

    >Is this it ?
    >http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/xcard.htm

    Have you got one?
    Craig Shore, Jul 1, 2005
  10. Daniel

    shannon Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:36:10 +1200, shannon <> wrote:
    >

    >>Craig Shore wrote:

    >>>Doesn't someone produce a dedicated TV out card that has component outputs.
    >>>From memory it has an onboard mpeg decoder and only did that. Guess that is a
    >>>bit of a downside.
    >>>

    >>Is this it ?
    >>http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/xcard.htm

    > Have you got one?

    No, but I considered it a while ago, I bought a MediaMVP
    shannon, Jul 1, 2005
  11. Daniel

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 20:47:30 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:

    >>>Is this it ?
    >>>http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/xcard.htm

    >> Have you got one?
    >>

    >No, but I considered it a while ago, I bought a MediaMVP

    I was thinking about getting one of those (MediaMVP) for the bedroom, have wired
    the house for it, but don't see many places selling them anymore. Where did you
    get it from, and how do you find it?
    Craig Shore, Jul 1, 2005
  12. On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:33:31 UTC, Daniel <>
    wrote:

    > > Interesting. So, is that to say that the difference in quality is due to
    > > the G450 having a TV encoder, and the R9600XT (R9600Pro, GeForce2 MX -
    > > my other cards) not?
    > >
    > > Or rather, the question should be is it that TV encoders aren't
    > > something that most manufacturers put on their 3D cards?

    > Actually, those cards must have a TV encoder (of sorts), otherwise you'd
    > never get a signal in the first place.
    >
    > However, that still doesn't explain the difference in ouput quality (?)

    Having always chosen Matrox cards over others since my second ever
    video cord (Millenium I), I have to say I am not surprised that there
    is a noticable quality difference. That is the reason I have always
    chosen Matrox. I have never used the TV outputs on my current G400
    and G550 cards, but on a monitor, the Matrox cards have always
    produced an excellent result. They place their pixels carefully and
    they do not jitter around like a lot of cards. This means that they
    are significantly less tiring on the eye to sit in front of all day.
    It is quite a subtle effect, but if you do side by side comparisons,
    you will notice it. And you will certainly notice it at the end of 12
    hour day on a deadline when all you have done is sit in front of the
    screen. Also, on a good monitor, this high quality output can mean
    that you can actually use the monitor's highest resolution on your
    desktop, without finding that it is too tiring to read the small text.

    If you do not need super-fast-with-all-the-latest-features-3D, then a
    Matrox is the way to go. And even if you do need the latest 3D, I
    would certainly check out their Parhelia cards.
    Stephen Worthington, Jul 1, 2005
  13. Daniel

    Adam Guest

    On 2 Jul 2005 05:55:26 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:

    >If you do not need super-fast-with-all-the-latest-features-3D, then a
    >Matrox is the way to go. And even if you do need the latest 3D, I
    >would certainly check out their Parhelia cards.

    I have to agree there. All my old Matrox cards were crystal clear and
    seemed to have good colour rendering. Dunno why I "upgraded" <g>.

    Adam.
    Adam, Jul 2, 2005