Re: Measuring VLAN performance

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by flamer die.spam@hotmail.com, Jun 9, 2009.

  1. flamer

    flamer Guest

    On Jun 8, 11:17 pm, "Gerard Gallagher" <>
    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm in the process of converting a flat network (approx 2000 users) to a
    > more layered approach using VLANS.
    > We have 2x Cisco 6509 switches with Sup720's configured as a HSRP core,
    > linked with a l3 etherchannel, and an l2 etherchannel.
    >
    > Each closet will comprise 3 vlans - one for voice, one for data and VLAN1
    > for management.
    >
    > I would like to know how the addition of vlans is affecting the overall
    > network - i.e as areas come off vlan1 for user traffic and get moved to
    > their respective vlan how the overall network performance is hopefully
    > improving, and I'm looking for any information that would help me measure
    > this, or indeed any aspect of the network which I should be measuring. The
    > idea is to be able to show how the vlan introduction is helping the site.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ger

    Use a tool. such as solar winds to measure traffic however we have had
    no end of trouble trying to get throughput stats on trunk ports for a
    particular vlan from cisco switches (using various tools). better to
    poll the physical interface as another poster said. I also agree that
    VLAN 1 should never be used especially not for management. all i need
    to do is find an unconfigured switchport somewhere on your network and
    im automatically in the management vlan.

    flamer.

    flamer , Jun 9, 2009

  2. flamer

    bod43 Guest

    On 9 June, 04:00, "flamer " <>
    wrote:
    > On Jun 8, 11:17 pm, "Gerard Gallagher" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Hi all,

    > > I'm in the process of converting a flat network (approx 2000 users) to a
    > > more layered approach using VLANS.
    > > We have 2x Cisco 6509 switches with Sup720's configured as a HSRP core,
    > > linked with a l3 etherchannel, and an l2 etherchannel.

    > > Each closet will comprise 3 vlans - one for voice, one for data and VLAN1
    > > for management.

    > > I would like to know how the addition of vlans is affecting the overall
    > > network - i.e as areas come off vlan1 for user traffic and get moved to
    > > their respective vlan how the overall network performance is hopefully
    > > improving, and I'm looking for any information that would help me measure
    > > this, or indeed any aspect of the network which I should be measuring. The
    > > idea is to be able to show how the vlan introduction is helping the site.

    As already mentioned there may or there may not be any performance
    change.

    To measure network throughput you can consider iperf or if you want
    to get more serious, iometer (intel) - all are free. The latter allows
    a central
    management station to control multiple traffic streams between
    multiple
    hosts. It does though take a bit of figuring out. There are also
    commercial
    tools e.g. Smartbits; but costs are not low.

    Performance test results are not always easy to interpret.

    The best thing you can do for ethernet performance is to make sure
    that
    you have no duplex missmatches. Set everything to auto until it is
    proven
    that some particular device is not happy. The only things that I have
    seen
    within the last decade that are unhappy with Auto are UK delivered
    WAN
    ethernet services and Checkpoint firewalls.

    Both are by design - and I don't agree with the Checkpoint case for
    sure.
    I guess it is arguable in the WAN ethernet case that access
    difficulties
    or remoteness might make it acceptable.

    Check for port errors and assume duplex missmatch if there are more
    than a few until proved otherwise.

    bod43, Jun 11, 2009