Re: ME -> XP HE Upgrade

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Patrick Michael, Apr 28, 2005.

  1. "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have an fully licensed ME machine with its legit product key taped on
    > the side.
    >
    > I also have a legal a copy of XP HE; I want to do an upgrade from ME ->
    > XP.
    >
    > I'm told that I can reformat, using the XP disk, and install XP as the
    > upgrade. Logic states that I should be able to do this, though I've never
    > done this from ME.
    >
    > I'm presuming that the XP install will look to some "hidden" file before
    > the reformat, and that everything will work as I'm led to believe.
    >
    > Am I correct?

    I don't understand why people are saying that you can only "upgrade" from
    Windows ME to Windows XP. You can most certainly do a fresh install of XP
    on a system with just an "XP Upgrade" CD, as long as you have a Windows 98,
    ME or 2000 CD handy. I did this exact same procedure just about 6 months
    ago.

    Additionally, since you already have Windows ME installed, I'm pretty sure
    the CD will "detect" its presence and give you the option of doing a fresh
    install.

    You really should do a fresh install simply so you can make use of NTFS
    rather than FAT32.
    Patrick Michael, Apr 28, 2005