Re: MCSE 2003 to MCITP : Enterprise Administrator

Discussion in 'MCITP' started by Harvey Colwell, Apr 27, 2009.

  1. Listen, I did it. I have a both a MCITP for both Server Administrator and
    Enterprise Administrator, and it only was one additional exam!!!!!

    It may matter which one you get first, but if you are going after both of
    them, then its only one extra exam!

    Harvey Colwell, Apr 27, 2009

  2. "Harvey Colwell" <> wrote in message

    > Listen, I did it. I have a both a MCITP for both Server Administrator and
    > Enterprise Administrator, and it only was one additional exam!!!!!
    >
    > It may matter which one you get first, but if you are going after both of
    > them, then its only one extra exam!

    Of course it absolutely matters which one you get first! I think my post
    made that abundantly clear.

    But that's *not* what you stated in your post, and I was merely clarifying
    that the statement "If you get MCITP for either Server Administrator or
    Enterprise Administrator ... there's only one more exam." is not a true
    statement. The only true part of that statement, and the one I explicitly
    called out, is if you earn the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    certification, and THEN wish to pick up the MCITP: Server Administration
    certification, you'll only need one additional exam -- the 70-646.

    And the final point -- which certification is the typical person likely to
    achieve first?

    The one which requires only THREE exams (70-640, 70-642, and 70-646), of
    which two are common with the next higher cert.

    Or the higher cert, which requires FIVE exams (70-640, 70-642, 70-643,
    70-620, 7-647), and which won't get you the lower cert at all.

    I submit that while *you* may have completed the MCITP:EA first, and then
    took the 70-646 to obtain the MCITP:SA, your example is atypical of most
    certification candidates. I submit that the typical order of progression
    will be for candidates to first earn the MCITP:SA and then the MCITP:EA. To
    mislead these people into thinking they only need "one more exam" after
    completing the MCITP:SA is irresponsible.

    Your statement is only true for those persons who directly pursue the
    MCITP:EA, without any interest or regard for the MCITP:SA at all, and then,
    as an afterthought, give consideration to the MCITP:SA because "It's only
    one more exam".

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Apr 27, 2009