Re: mcsd to mcpd

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Chris Mullins [MVP], Jan 18, 2007.

  1. I've got two words to answer that question:

    Boot Camp.

    --
    Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C#
    http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

    Chris Mullins [MVP], Jan 18, 2007

  2. I've never attended a boot camp, nor have I seriously looked into attending
    one.

    I have interacted with a number of people who achieved their certifications
    (especially the MCSE's) through boot camps. My impression of boot camps, and
    the resulting value of the certifications has not been a positive one.

    Other Guy: "I got my MCSE last year by attending this boot camp."

    Me: "Great. Can you bring this new machine up to date with patches, join it
    to the AD, create a new AD account for the guy we just hired, set him up
    with admin rights on his local box, and get him setup in Exchange as well?"

    Other Guy: "Whoa. That may take a few days."

    Me: "Nevermind. I'll do it."

    I *swear* I've had this EXACT conversation on more than one occasion.

    (For those not paying attentation, this should take about 15 minutes. Tops!)

    Chris Mullins [MVP], Jan 18, 2007

  3. The certs are a good way to get back into the industry and they do help
    mitigate a lack of recent job experience.

    Getting the certs force you to learn a well thought-out cirriculum, and have
    a decent knowledge of a huge amount of material.

    My problem with the camps is that you're just memorizing questions &
    answers, taking the test, then repeating the process. This "cram" process is
    doomed to long-term failure at any level from gradeschool through grad
    school. Sure you passed the test, but it doesn't mean you know or understand
    anything.

    .... and at the end of the day, nobody is going to know you got your certs by
    attending a camp. Nor are they going to care. They're only going to know,
    "Wow. That person knows their stuff." or "Wow. How did they ever get through
    the interview process?".

    Other things that I've found that help is a blog. Prior to interviewing
    someone, I read their blog entries (if any). That's an excellent medium for
    me to try to decide, "Does this person have a clue?".

    Chris Mullins [MVP], Jan 18, 2007
  4. Chris Mullins [MVP]

    Thor Guest

    OT (sorry)

    have I heard you on some podcast?
    (great architecture and trends content, "skype" sound)
    if it is you, could you post a link? if not, sorry: please ignore post.

    Gorm

    Thor, Jan 18, 2007
  5. To the best of my knowledge, I've never done a podcast.

    I do lots of public speaking though, and who knows what people do with audio
    recorded from that...

    Chris Mullins [MVP], Jan 19, 2007
  6. Chris Mullins [MVP]

    Thor Guest